The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: How to make a Dyson bin clear  (Read 1623 times)

Online Parwaz7862

• DYSON DYSON DYSON!!!!!!!!! 😃😃😃
How to make a Dyson bin clear
« on: May 14, 2015, 08:24:09 PM »
Hi
We have had so much building work in our house since July 2014 and still have some more to do. All we had was Dyson's and no Henry, so the Dysons had to cope with a lot of rubbish like tons of plaster and whatnot. I have killed a DC05, DC24, DC14 Origin and a DC04 with 2 motors in 6 months throughout this period.

My DC14 Animal as lovely, had no problems with it really and happily sucked up the plaster dust and all that. The bin, however got really scratched. It looked so scratched that it was almost impossible to see the dirt unless you look at it closely from a certain angle.

I tried many things. A good wash and WD40 with lots of tissue, furniture polish, hand polish etc etc. The only thing that worked was a drill and a microfibre cloth. I had to apply lots of pressure and  it took ages just to get a little part of the bin clear. I then thought "forget this Im just gonna put some spray on it."

As I has washed the bin with hot spapy water as well as the cyclone I was going to spray the bin with some polish which never worked but was alright, till I saw my bottle of Lynx hair spray in the corner of my eye. I thought "ooh, why not? it dries too and leave my hair shiny and is designed to be strong" so I sprayed it in the bin and got some tissue and hand polished it all round the inside and WOW. The bin was quite dry and not sticky. It was also clear! YES!!!
I then had another bright idea...

I have another hairspray, V05 type and tried it on my DC25 this time. The bins on those get very sandblasted. I sprayed, hand polished and it looks lovely!!!

Both my Dyson DC14 Animal and DC25 look like they have had bins which have been used like twice now :) It worked well for me and I am pleased with the results so I thought I would share this with someone who has a similar problem like I did.
Good luck :)  ;D
DC14s are tanks, just need a slightly longer motor life. Do plastic parts often break on DC14s? Nope. DC41- Sexy looking futuristic and powerful machine. Just needs a better designed cleaner head wheel and cyclone clip along with a dense metal rod in the chassis.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: How to make a Dyson bin clear
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 12:20:32 AM »
Be interesting to see if they get dirtier quicker in use. I suppose the hair spray contains lots of shiny stuff to make hair shiny, would fill in all the damage on a bin.

Amy's got a can of elnett somewhere...
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork!

Online Parwaz7862

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 12:36:10 AM »
I used my DC14 Animal a good handful of times since the hairspray thing and it's doing so well :) I haven't noticed a change in clearness so far but I imagine it will get cloudy in the future
DC14s are tanks, just need a slightly longer motor life. Do plastic parts often break on DC14s? Nope. DC41- Sexy looking futuristic and powerful machine. Just needs a better designed cleaner head wheel and cyclone clip along with a dense metal rod in the chassis.

Online Madrat

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 03:06:22 PM »
 :underchair:

Don't use her elnett  :o

Online KylesDyson

• Refurbisher of Dysons. Lover and User of Dysons
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 11:44:47 PM »
I used my DC14 Animal a good handful of times since the hairspray thing and it's doing so well :) I haven't noticed a change in clearness so far but I imagine it will get cloudy in the future
Ooh, Will have to try this on my DC14 Animal, tried everything i could possibly see in the bathroom.. except hairspray. Mine is like  Cloudy... Really Cloudy, cant see the dirt at all, let alone that silver cyclone, its just well CLOUDY.
Alhough Hair gel worked OK I can now see the cyclone, but not exactly that clearly
Proud owner of a mint DC04 De Stijl and VERY strong DC14 Animal Steel.
*MAINLY DYSON WITH A BIT OF SEBO SPRINKLED ONTOP* This is now a thread? I thought this was a vacuum forum :)) Not a central heating, random talk, grammar lessons, plastic flimsiness etc, etc, etc. with the occasional vacuum mentioned now.....                                                           So the clutch - Very clutchy if you ask me...

Online GeorgeJ

• DC14 :)
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 06:21:25 PM »
Ooh, Will have to try this on my DC14 Animal, tried everything i could possibly see in the bathroom.. except hairspray. Mine is like  Cloudy... Really Cloudy, cant see the dirt at all, let alone that silver cyclone, its just well CLOUDY.
Alhough Hair gel worked OK I can now see the cyclone, but not exactly that clearly
Try KY lube. 

Try not to get carried away there, champ.
You miss 100% of the Dysons you don't buy.  -Wayne Gretzky -Michael Scott

Online Parwaz7862

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 06:48:01 PM »
:))

Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Universal Adaptor

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

The Dyson Medic Blog

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacson Google+

Manchester Vacs on Instagram