The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Miele S6220 Cat and Dog - Stripdown and Refurb  (Read 24266 times)

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Miele S6220 Cat and Dog - Stripdown and Refurb
« on: September 30, 2015, 07:58:02 am »
I happened upon this the other week, looking sorry for itself and £free! Good old freecycle. SWMBO picked it up for me as well as it was on the way back from where she was one night

Poor thing wasnt without its flaws though

The extension tube was missing one of its buttons

The turbo brush had part of the parking bracket snapped off, although still clings on like a champ and parks

The day I got it, I removed and cleaned the filters, vacced out the bag chamber and fixed it. Listed for spares, apparently it had taken a tumble. Whilst tumbling, the bag chamber seal must have fallen out, as it was re-fitted upside down... A quick flip round and she was working well again!

The next night, I get a plea for help from a lady who'se DC33 I refurbished last year. They were moving to South Africa in 3 days time, their house was empty, DC33 was on the boat, did I have anything they could borrow to do a final clean? Of course, take the Miele. I got a fiver from them, which was a nice gesture since I didnt ask for anything.

2 days later it came back, I was cleaning SWMBO's car, and she made me nearly soil myself as she came up behind me as I was vacuuming it out. Full of thanks, but also full of apology, she had dropped it, and broken the tool holder. She asked how much a new one would cost, I said a tenner, and she gave me it there on the spot. I may have neglected to tell her that I've had a spare holder in the shed for a few years... £15 up already on a free cleaner! We said goodbye, I said good luck, and carried on vaccing the car. I was using ye old faithful Aquamaster, which was good, but I only have a crevice tool. Brainwave, I plugged the S6 in and gave it a thorough shakedown on the car. On full power it was brilliant on the carpets, although I had to turn it down to below halfway for the seats, as it just stuck otherwise.

Fun and games over, I messaged someone on another forum who had enquired about anything for sale before, interest was gained, so I commenced the refurbishment...

Bojack bags  :censored: :censored: :censored: The bag has probably never fallen off, or overflowed, just leaked all out the bag and into the compartment...

The poor old filter

It originally came with an active charcoal filter

Which was ab it poorly

The status strip was long dead, apaprently these show the remaining life left in some way.

This wont be replaced, the airclean filters that come with the bags are more than good enough, plus the charcoal filters are fecking expensive, and that would put the price up...

Bag holder out

The hood unclips from the pivots

and the pedals unclip from the hood, bringing their springs with them

There is a big sponge diffuser that sits under the lid

The bag full piston (not a fan of these, they dont really show anything) pops out

it splits down nicely though

The hose entry socket unclips and splits in two

bag door latch pops out

The aformentioned bag chamber seal comes back out

2 screws and 2 clips pop the speed control housing out

which holds the circuit board and speed control. Going by the date printed on the PCB this machine is not even 2 years old, how much abuse do people want to give an expensive vacuum cleaner?

On/off switch clips in underneath the on/off button (obviously...)

and then it all pops out

This little spacer/rocker sits above the on/off switch

The knob pops out

Oooh, a later date!

The PCB plugs into the main wiring loom, which sits in the housing underneath it

Pop that out the way, remove 5 more screws and

This is the motor chamber seal, which came with the lid

Some sound deadening was clipped up there too

This black part unclips from the rest of the housing. Diffuser?

This part was even weirder, but pulled out from around a screwhole

The surround where the cord exits pops off

Onto the last layer now

The motor unplugs

and lifts out

The bracket that holds the rear in place

fancase seal

fan cover taps off

Fan is removed

Another 2014 date

Carbon brush holders unplug

Armature lifts out

It was quite clean

At the top of the motor housing is the thermal fuse

It sits inside it's little casing

The coil assembly eases out of the motor housing

and this tension strap falls out

Empty!

More sound deadening sits under the motor

This and the foam top diffuser went through the washing machine and came up very nicely indeed!

The cord rewind cassette lifts out. I made doubly sure not to f  :censored: k with this, as it's the comfort reel, one press reels the whole cable in, so god knows how it tensions up, and a new one costs a frigging fortune!

I took the chance to check the cable wasnt about to do a standard Miele and break at this point

I could not get the pre motor filter cage out, so left it be!

The bleed valve sits here at the front

All the wheels are removed

and the main machine is done! Onto the tools now

Luckily this was just dirty and not worn

The litter pickers pop out

Turbo head now!

Utterly filthy and abused, but the brushes were not worn at all

Baseplate off

Rubber deflector strip out. This makes it useable on hard floors as it stops it flinging the dirt backwards

The release valve pops out from the top cover

Yummy

The turbine housing comes off with 2 screws

and the turbine and neck lift out

One small washer this side

The centre axle pulls out with a bit of persuasion, and the turbing splits into 2 halves

Another tiny washer, and loads and loads of hair before I cut it all off

The brushroll lifts out of the end caps, and the belt guard unclips from around it

I cleaned the threads/carpet off the brushroll

The end caps sit either end in the moulding

The wheels underneath pop out

Done! Non washables

Very nearly forgot the hose end too!

the suction release slider pops off

Washables

Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: Miele S6220 Cat and Dog - Stripdown and Refurb
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 07:58:23 am »
I ran the machine polisher over the glossy plastics and took out 80% of the damage and restored all the gloss back

It seems to have been dragged on its side for a fair while sadly, would have been top notch without this

I had a look at the extension tubes next. I bought one off ebay for £3, but it was ruined at one end

The front one is what they should look like

I have a very rusty one too in the shed, so got that out to join the party

No amount of wire wool will fix that, which is a shame as its spot on otherwise

But the end the hose attached to was ok, so I teased out the plastic insert from both

Gathered a good set and cleaned them up

The clip holder sits in first

anti static strip sits in the housing

then slides into place. Insulation tape on my thumb is where I put a screwdriver through it earlier whilst dismantling the poles...

Gave the hose end clip a wipe over

and voila! One good telescopic tube

It was a little bit worn on the other end, but not too bad

Release valve back onto the hose end

Wheels clipped back into position

Brushroll and end caps fitted

Belt guard fitted

I then put the turbine and associated back together with a drop of oil on all the moving parts (I turned out, after an hour of troubleshooting it later that the turbine was on back to front, so you see how it is in this picture? Reverse that!

2 halves together

Squeegee back onto the base plate, and baseplate back onto the main housing

Small tools went back together

Wheels back on the bus

Release valve refitted

Cord rewind cassette was dusted off and clipped back into place

lower sound deadening back in

Time to build the motor back up

and the thermal fuse

I put a drop of spray grease in both the bearings, which made it smell slightly on startup, but that faded very quickly. I'll use proper grease next time! Smoothed it up anyhow

All back together, the motor can be dropped back in

Random piece dropped back in by the screw hole

Other random black part dropped back in

then the casing can be lowered down onto the lower chassis

Electronics all clipped back together

and fitted to the machine. Bag chamber seal refitted

Release catch fitted

Hose entry pieces clipped together

Bag indicator clipped back in

and the top lid clipepd onto the main body

Bag holder fitted

and she is done!

The tools fit onto their holder

I then had to wait for some post. The first to arrive was a new fuse holder, as it seemed a shame to chop off a perfectly good moulded plug just because it was missing

And a nice new service box, as all my Miele refurbs get!

Pre motor filter cut to size

Post motor filter fitted. Handily, I've had a filter cage for years, as I bought an incorrect one when I had an older cat and dog years ago. This cage is needed to replace the active air clean filters. The things that could come in handy one day eh?  :thumbsup:

Nice new bag fitted

and an air freshener popped on the filter

and she is done! Life reset, ready for many more years of vacuuming!

When I first got her, and confirmed it worked well I got in contact with a chap on Autoshite who had expressed an interest in replacing his vax bagless thing. So, virtual money was exhanged, and she is as we speak winging her way up to Nairn in the Highlands to start her new life, with someone who will be more sympathetic in use than the previous idiot owner! Collect+ are doing the whole thing for £8.50 with a 10% off code I found online, better than £30 that anyone else charges, being as it's an IV12 highlands address!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline dysondc16

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 02:55:25 am »
It never ceases to amaze me how much abuse is dished out to expensive machines, I don't really understand the logic behind it. Those aftermarket bags can absolutely kill these.
Although it seems there is little that you can't revive! I really like mieles, but I tend to prefer the larger cylinders to these compact ones, still good machines though.
Glad it already has a new home!
Scott

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 08:48:20 am »
Yea, the build quality of the S5 is much better than the S6, the plastics thicker, build quality better, finish more robust etc.

But then Madrat posted me the most bogging Miele S6 I've ever seen, but it's that matt blue colour, which always ruins itself. That one is beyond saving I think, I'll post some pictures up soon of it so we can all laugh at it (not laugh at Madrat, he made it clear it was battered)

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 09:32:23 am »
My Dream Miele is any S7 with all tools and my dream Miele Cylinder is either the S5 cat & Dog or the S8 Cat and dog ;D

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 09:34:51 am »
Im waiting to find a nice complete cheap s5 revolution 5000. One day...

Offline dysondc16

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 03:25:28 pm »
Granted, I have yet to see a broken upper casing on an s6, but it really doesn't feel that robust. Gosh I miss the s4...... And those matt finishes are great for a while, but really don't look too pretty for long. Good luck on finding a revolution! Have to say though your current setup isn't too bad!
Parwaz, The s7 is a beast of a machine, I do understand why miele is discontinuing it over there. Great performer, but certainly a bit large.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 03:53:30 pm »
When I put it back on at the end, I did it at the wrong angle, and it made a massive crunch noise as it slipped past some part of the housing. Was ok though, no damage done! I've seen one revolution locally, but it was missing the power head and still went for £30. Seen them go unsold on ebay for under a tenner but always hundreds of miles away with collection only.

My current setup is cool, but clunky, the clips for the cable keep falling off! Still, better than nothing, and I'll always keep the SEB head, even if I sell/upgrade the main cleaner, wont ever get a new one for £25 again!

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 04:32:50 pm »
The S7 is being discontinued?! No more upright Mieles in the UK? WTF is it that powerful or something :o

Offline dysondc16

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 06:39:35 pm »
I don't know why, but that's what I heard!
Beko, I've never been too keen on external cables on cylinders. Seems messy and cumbersome.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 03:13:42 pm »
Well I received a very nice PM from the new owner, the cat and dog is loved very much indeed! He is very in tune to our way of thinking, and thinks it criminal that such a machine was as good as thrown out. Says he knows people who have had dysons from the tip that have had nothing wrong with them etc, I told him that was usual.

Apparently his partner has wrist issues so the light Miele is a welcome change from their heavy vax upright, which he is cleaning up and selling to recoup some of the outlay on the miele

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2015, 07:21:02 pm »
The new owner got £30 back on facebook for his vax,  so only spent £58. Bargain!

Offline pleriche

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 12:01:35 pm »
Great repair guide! But how do you get the nut off the end of the motor spindle in order to remove the fan? I put WD40 on it and left it overnight, and even then the only way I could get a grip on the fan was to thread nylon chord through the fan and grip the two ends in a Workmate. When I eventually did get the nut to move it didn't come off however far your turned it.

So I looked again at your photos. Do I detect a left handed thread on the spindle end in the photos of the clean commutator? But turning it clockwise doesn't shift it either. I can't believe I've stripped the thread on a nut that size!

Also, is the thermal cut-out on the motor self-resetting? The problem is either that or commutator caked with dust - the machine was totally clogged with plaster dust and wouldn't run.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 12:29:11 pm »
They are a LH thread I do recall. All I usually do is, with the fancase off, place a cloth inbetween the fan and your hand, as it will slice you up if your not careful, then with your palm of one hand clamp the fan down, then crack the nut off, it then spins off with your fingers. If the whole motor does turn, a small flatblade screwdriver into the back of the motor and locked against a segment of the coil (not the commutor) will work, but be careful not to damage anything!

RE the thermal cut out, yes it is self re-setting, 30 minutes IIRC. Plaster dust won't help though, plus I've had an S5 before that blew the track off the PCB rather than the fuse, some pigeon shit soldering fixed that one! But you need the fan off to see, then the top of the motor and then you can see the fuse assembly! If the fuse is blown, I imagine RS or ebay will have just the replacement you need to solder in!

Don't forget to wash the fan either when you do get it off!

Offline pleriche

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2017, 02:53:28 pm »
Very many thanks for the ultra-speedy reply! But it looks like I'm screwed as far as that nut is concerned. Whilst holding the fan I can turn it in either direction without it coming off, and the rotor doesn't turn. There's a little more resistance once every revolution, so I certainly seem to have stripped the thread. Clearly I don't know my own strength. Crazy idea using a LH screw - all they needed to do was swap 2 wires to the brushes and make the fan from a mirror image of the drawings and they could have used a RH screw! There was a little arrow on the nut pointing in an anticlockwise direction - I'll know to look out for that in future.

But anyway, I poked an air-duster through to the commutator from the back and nothing much blew out, so maybe the brushes and commutator didn't need cleaning too much after all. I cleaned out the fan as best I could and put the motor back into the carcass and plugged it in, and the motor ran! So long as the brushes don't wear out it seems to be sorted. Now I just have to wait for the noise absorbing stuff to dry out on the washing line (thank heaven for a bit of Summer at last!) and I can put it all together again.

Thank you again for a most helpful disassembly guide.

Best regards - Philip

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration