The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Hoover Turbomaster U5094 - Stripdown and Refurb  (Read 12221 times)

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: Hoover Turbomaster U5094 - Stripdown and Refurb
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2016, 11:56:45 pm »
Just re-assembled in reverse, with grease covering all contact points!

ila_rendered

Bellows back on the motor

ila_rendered

Onto the chassis now. Rear wheels on, drop of grease where applicable

ila_rendered

Fir the slider part of the height adjustment, another drop of grease

ila_rendered

and pop the front wheels on

ila_rendered

Fit the clutch and clamp it down

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Bumper fitted

ila_rendered

Release pedal and spring fitted

ila_rendered
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2016, 12:19:50 am »
Time for the suction box now, and this really could do with being sealed with silicone, but as you saw above, I need to have a nice new tube with a small directable hole, so another day...

ila_rendered

Assembled

ila_rendered

The lever moves so much better now it's clean and not binding on grit

Out comes the suction box again, and in goes the motor!

ila_rendered

Back in goes the suction box

ila_rendered

Clamped down

ila_rendered

Onto the belt spring now, and here it is fitted, but it moves about very easily and needs some swear words to keep it in place

ila_rendered

Fit the actuator pedal and spring to the black housing

ila_rendered

Then remember that the back of the machine needs to go in first...

ila_rendered

Remembering also to fit the two pivot points...  :'(

ila_rendered
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2016, 12:26:30 am »
ila_rendered

This shows (badly) how moving the machine upright moves the belt, the plastic pushes the spring to the side as the cleaner is raised, moving the spring. It also shows the wear on the release pedal, which is why the vac leans when upright. Possibly fixable by glueing a thin fillet of plastic to it, but how sturdy that would be long term, I don't know, so I left it alone

ila_rendered

Make double sure the spring hasn't popped out...

ila_rendered

I tried fitting the pedal assembly whole, but it kept moving the spring, so whip the pedal off, and just fit the housing. This holds the spring in place

ila_rendered

Then fit the long spring

ila_rendered

Then the lilac pedal. Check the operation, the pedal should 'lock' when pushed then unlock when pushed again and pop back.Fit the orange piece and 2 long screws

ila_rendered

Then swear lots, as you realize the spinal cord needs to go through, so have the lot off, and run the cable through the body... (good practice though)

ila_rendered

Done! (much easier the 3rd time). Fit the pivot clamps, with a drop of grease to ensure smooth operation

ila_rendered

The bellows went through the washing machine too and didn't come too clean, but too late now. Hold them in the slot on the housing and fit the trunnion cover

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2016, 12:31:30 am »
Onto the hood now. First to go back in is the divider bit. The foam was starting to peel away, but was fine overall

ila_rendered

The hood cleaned up well, and shows the lilac slate off well, sadly the machine is quite faded externally

ila_rendered

Fit the slider to the lens with a drop of grease on the contact points

The adjuster knob needs to be laid onto the hood next, and lined up with the slider plate as you fit the lens

ila_rendered

Done

ila_rendered

Next was light, and a few years ago, I was given an LED kit to fit turbopowers and turbomasters (and lots of other bits), so thought I would fit it to this!

ila_rendered

It has a big sticky pad on the back, but I found it slotted very nicely into here and held very securely

ila_rendered

the lead is long enough to plug in and unplug to get the hood off

ila_rendered

And with that, the hood can be screwed down.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2016, 12:35:57 am »
The hood has shine back in! Not quite as good as it could be, I'll re-visit it one day

ila_rendered

Activator next, and 2 more new bearings were procured

ila_rendered

and fitted

ila_rendered

That all back together, it was time to belt it up

ila_rendered

I've had this pack of belts for ruddy years! In the hope that one day, I would get a TurboMaster. This day had come, and I was very happy to be fitting them

ila_rendered

The old belts weren't too bad really, but they were changed anyway

ila_rendered

And what a complete bastard it was to fit them! very very fiddly

ila_rendered

But in the end mild violence won the day and the activator was fitted with fresh new belts

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2016, 12:40:15 am »
Lovely

The baseplate went back on

ila_rendered

And now we move back up the machine, with the bottom part fully done

The wires and conduit were fitted up the bag housing

The suction bleed valve tube clipped onto the bag fill tube and fitted

ila_rendered

Some nice new tape had the 2 parts of the bag fill tube fitted together again

ila_rendered

I fitted the fill tube, and the top holder part, and here you can see the back of it that supports the wiring, so I wired it all back up again

ila_rendered

and fitted the cover and top cord hook

ila_rendered

The bag door catch fits back onto the inner housing that goes under the top cover plate

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2016, 12:49:45 am »
The suction vacuum valve is fitted and wired back up after a squirt with some contact cleaner

ila_rendered

The LED was fitted back into the cover plate, the cover palte popped over the inner plate, more wires pushed together and the bag door button reassembled...

ila_rendered

and it was fitted to the machine. A nice H4 bag was found, and a bag slide

The air freshener housing and slider fitted to the bag door, and the bag door fitted to the machine

The very clean hose was found and re-united with it's vacuum

The cleaner tools refitted

and the handle reassembled and fitted!

And the end result...

A beautiful machine!

Bit of a lean on her though

but the total system Turbopowers were always terrible for this, all the extra weight on the top doesn't help. I have 2 TP1 total systems in the loft with smashed trunnions that needs reconstructive surgery next year! Works OK if I give it a hand though

But was all this work worth it? The proof is in the after video!

It's amazing now! All that did not work before now works a treat, it's issue was just filth! Might try and get a new activator for it sometime though.

But for now, thank's for reading, and happy new tomorrow!

Offline dysondc16

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2016, 05:04:18 am »
That was really interesting seeing how the belt system on this works. It's strangely reminiscent of the self propelled hoover windtunnels we got (and still get) over here.

Looks like it came out really well!

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram