The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: which for me DC 07 refurb or DC 14 refurb  (Read 7372 times)

Offline DennDyson

which for me DC 07 refurb or DC 14 refurb
« on: October 15, 2013, 06:12:17 pm »
One of my 3 DC04s with clutch has just had motor burn out.  While stripping out motor have found -
1. cleaner head...broken off small front brush bar retaining lug. (But think brush would still be retained ok?)
2. retaining clip on rear inspection U tube broken.
3. Motor inlet tube that joins from vertical tube to motor inlet has broken very thin rubber sealing ring at vertical tube joint.

I therefore think it more cost effective to go for a refurbished machine keeping the dead 04 as spares for the other 2, and after reading through lots on the forums am thinking a DC07 or DC14. I have carpets and hard floors, + one used in garage on cement floor and for attaching to portable sander for dust extraction.
What would be fors and againsts of each of the 07 and 14?
My thoughts....
07 and 14 seem very much alike as far as construction and bits are concerned. Is there any performance difference (including better than 04?)??
Any silly built in obsolecence bits on the 14 compared to the 07?
I prefer washable filters (pre and post motor) if possible. (cheaper and can be kept clean more frequently for less cost)
Possibly 14 better bet as newer and spares more likely to be available longer into future.
Is the 14 lighter than the 07(and the 04)? so wife can carry around more easily.
Am retired systems engineer so Do my own servicing/repairs.
Denn

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: which for me DC 07 refurb or DC 14 refurb
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 04:50:28 pm »
Their both the same machine, same parts but with a different cyclone assembly.

I prefer the 14 from a useability point of view, find it easier to push and the handle arrangement is slightly better but thats about it.

However, if you feel you would need to clean the cyclone out alot then I'd say a DC07, as its easier to internally clean the cyclone.

The filters are the same, but a different size, so you have to buy specific DC14 & 15 ones. Clutches and motors are the same as DC04, 07 and 14, so no worries if you have those spares

DC14 feels lighter to me, but I think thats more due to the shape and centre of gravity than any weight difference, but I've not weighed either machine!

I wrote up one of my DC07 Stripdowns - http://www.vacuumland.org/cgi-bin/TD/TD-VIEWTHREAD.cgi?21791 if it helps you decide. Not created a DC14 how-to yet but its pretty much exactly the same!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline DennDyson

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 12:04:43 am »
beko1987
thanks for your info.  DC04 weighs in at 7.6 Kilo (17.8Lb).
See you collect "vintage vacuums"....where are you as I think I have an ancient all metal one somewhere in my barn. I am N Devon.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 12:13:03 am »
I've got the scales out now!

DC07 - 10kgs exactly
My DC04 comes in at 9kgs
DC24 is 6kgs
1995 Hoover Turbopower Junior is 5kgs
1939 Hoover 262 IS 9KGS

I'm in Bucks, but if your happy to box it up I can arrange a courier to pick it up? Got any pictures? Always happy to add old proper Hoover's to my collection!
Happy for you to email me if you don't want to take your thread off topic - S.c.g.watson@gmail.com

Cheers

Sam
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Dyson Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration