Thought I'd post this up here incase it is of any interest. Got a DC24, 25 and 04 recently for free, bloke's missus had killed them all and he wanted them out of the garage.
With this being the newest dyson I have worked on, I took lots of pictures of the process, to hopefully aid me when putting it back together!
But, if any of the pictures help out then great! This machine runs and the brushroll spins. It needs a new wand, a few spring buttons, a brushroll and filters but I;m waiting until its back together and working well before shelling out for that.
and brushroll off
Switch for refrence on re-assembly
round hose off
One side of the ball is unscrewed
and the other side, being careful not to rip the wires out
Refrence shots of the wiring. Once all unplugged...
Cable holder and pivot removed now
The yolk was then popped off the end supports
Lots of lovely wear starting on the ball
motor filter out
And the outer ball removed
Whatever this small piece of plastic which has been merrily shedding itself is removed
Large ball race removed. Span well enough but felt a bit dry so will give it a lick of grease before putting it back
Motor seal removed
4 more screws and the motor can come out
refrence shot of how the wires go through the outer casing
Rubber holder removed
Motor removed and unplugged...hang on, whats this...
Left no traces so assuming everything will be ok!
Made a start removing the wheels and red pedal
Refrence shot of the spring
and the red pedal snapped out of the wheels
Another spring that looks fiddly to put back on...
Not sure what this does, but it looks worn
Just the wiring left now
Part of the carriage assembly removed
and the rest off
Undo the screw and flick the black axle thing out
Looking a bit bare now
Switch cover off next
Not a *ping* moment thankfully
Trunk wire can be removed now
removed the cyclone clip
One stripped chassis
Screws so far
Wire cover removed
Removed the wires by flicking the tabs up to release them
Floaty bit removed
Done. Chunky bit of plastic this bit!
Peaky looking brushroll removed
I hear the end caps are prone to killing themselves. The brushroll was very rattly, does this look ok to anyone who knows?
Snapped a bit off the end removing the insert. Should be ok for testing purposes though
Corner wheel off
With the only cross headed screw of the entire project
Had to remove the belt to split the assembly
and bearing tapped out. Will re-grease this before re-assembly
Down to the motor now
All electronics removed
After a good clean with contact cleaner
Had to glue the little bit of plastic back that snapped off to reveal this, inevitable though and well hidden.
More wires removed
I think I've saved this motor from inevitable death
Not really needed but could clean up the oily dust that had accumulated
And finally the bumper off
Proves that clear plastic on a vacuum looks good for about half an hour, then just looks crap!
Cyclone flap release button off
Filter out, dont think its ever been washed. The DC24 I got from the same person was completely clogged, had to vac it off before thinking of switching it on, compared to that this is squeaky clean...
Clear bin split. Sadly its been blasted over time and is no longer shiny (earlier cyclone bins werent this bad, I;ve had DC01 bins still good as new...)
Not much to go now
Snapped off the bottom part and scraped the accumulated crud out
and the final seal is removed
Pile of washing
Pile of small bits to be done by hand/just wiped over (not full on washed)
Non washable bits
Wasnt too filthy tbh, worked on worse (have had DC14's I've had to vacuum 4 or 5 times throughout the stripdown)
Every screw for a DC25
Seals were then cleaned
Everything washed with high pressure hot water, some kitchen cleaner and a good scrub with a nice stiff paintbrush, I started assembling in reverse order, and got cracking with the cyclone
Couldnt get that bit of dirt off short of sandpaper
Washed the filter out for now, will buy new if I feel it deserves it!
Side by side with my DC24 Cyclone (the 25 is a test run for stripping and refurbing the much smaller and fiddly looking 24...)
And that's it for now! Have started re-assembling the brushroll, but spent half an hour last night working out what goes where, so hopefully should progress once my lovely daughter goes to bed tonight!