The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Post motor filter...is it really needed? DC07, 04 and 14  (Read 6596 times)

Offline DennDyson

Post motor filter...is it really needed? DC07, 04 and 14
« on: October 17, 2013, 12:37:28 am »
It seems that an unclean post motor filter can be a frequent/main cause of motor burn out.
So perhaps a contentious question, and me thinking sideways, but does the post motor filter really need to be fitted!?!?
Without it you get better air flow/suction and therefore better motor cooling.  ;)
I can only think of one negative and that is the small amount of dust expelled from the machine.  In a mediaeval house a little dust is the least of my worries, and any way would it not get sucked back up and can be washed out of the pre motor filter?  :duh:
So save on cost of replacing non washable post motor filter (in 07 and 14)??, better performance and less likelyhood of clogging and motor burn out. My DC04 has washable post motor sponge.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: Post motor filter...is it really needed? DC07, 04 and 14
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 02:04:54 pm »
Don't see why it wouldnt work. The main thing I see with those filters is they go black with carbon dust, so that would go all over the bottom of the cyclone. As long as you washed the clear bin and filter cover (which you need for the cyclone to fit) you would probably be ok.

Oh, and the noise will be much louder, the filter provides good sound deadening (try it!)

Failing that, filter pads are only a couple of pounds, hepa filters only a fiver, change every year and job done!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Angus Black

• Dyson Medic
Re: Post motor filter...is it really needed? DC07, 04 and 14
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 06:12:20 pm »
You can live without it, but I prefer to replace HEPAs with a cheaper pad so the motor can exhaust better.

Dyson Cylinder Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram