The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Dyson DC04 de Stijl  (Read 26070 times)

Offline absolutepurplelime

Dyson DC04 de Stijl
« on: November 17, 2013, 07:18:29 pm »
Found this destijl for 15 quid, I can't decide to buy it or not? It's advertised as a non runner/untested but I have a few spare motors so that isn't a problem, so do you people think it would clean up ok after a good strip down and polish??? I can't decide if it's in good condition or not as it's not a good quality picture. :(

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: Dyson DC04 de Stijl
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 07:41:14 pm »
That looks like it'll clean up a treat! C'mon, where's your mojo?  ;)

First off, put a differentcable on it quickly and try it, bet you the issue is the cable! If so, chop 10 inches off the old cable (providing it looks ok) and re-wire it up. Failing that, as you say bang a working motor in. Or buy a lesser DC04 and raid that for parts, a De Stijl is a rare beast, and a beautiful one!

Then (once it runs) a full strip and wash, polish all the plastics so their nice and shiny, set of De Stijl tools, new belts for the clutch and new filters and you will have a lovely machine.

Then either keep it or sell it. Know a few Dyson fans who would probably make you an offer!

Say it needs new belts, tools and filters. That could be do-able for £10 with change for filters and belts, then get MVacs to raid their stores or hit up eblag. The tools for my DC04 Limited Edition cost me £8.99 plus £3 postage, and I'm so glad I took the plunge rather than spending £4.80 on a new grey set!

Post up a nice detailed thread too, never seen a De Stijl up close. I have a few scrapper DC04's if you need any parts, will only be grey or purple though, so try not to break anything!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 07:44:21 pm »
I think I'm going to do this lol, the cleaner head looks abit damaged on the bottom left corner but the dyson miracle workers at mvacs always send me out excellent parts that look like new :)

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 07:50:45 pm »
Oh my DC04 purple lime had the cable problem when I rescued it, it had the original cable protector on it where the cable comes out the machine straight, fitted the one that comes out pointing upwards now. But I had to change the spine as it had been churned up with a screwdriver by the previous owner trying to get the switch housing out :(

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 07:54:58 pm »
Could the damage be glued up and hidden with the bumper? Although I'm sure MVacs could sort you out with a better one!

You can always tell if a DC04 has had its electrics meddled with due to all the scratches you find behind the switch! I had one that had the cables soldered to the switch, which had the failed so I had to chop it all out and do it properly!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 08:06:40 pm »
That's bad, I've got a pack or spade connectors for DC04's with broken cables lol :)

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 08:22:27 pm »
I've brought it beko, with no regrets (yet). To be honest if it's complete trash, de Stijl parts sell very well :) looking forward to it coming now, cost me £23 pounds with p and p but to be honest my dc04 purple lime looked battered when I first got it and it looks pretty good now :)

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 08:51:06 am »
Well the de Stijl has just arrived, it is a complete and utter wreck!! No wonder they ignored my request for for photos. Parts I need!

*Wand
*Hose
*spine
*cyclone

All main bits, I'm ever so mad and feel like it's just an absolute waste of money :(. The handle has snapped off the wand, where the wand sits into the spine is all smashed, hose taped and crushed, and where the dirt enters the cyclone is smashed so there is going to be air leak. Feel like putting it straight in the bin!

Is it worth saving??

ila_renderedila_renderedila_renderedila_renderedila_rendered

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 10:45:17 am »
Stripped it down, to be honest I don't think I will bother with replacing the spine unless I get one at the right price, I think it's going to survive the operation however the motor was absolutly fried and the housing was full of water. All washed out going to fit new motor when it's all dry :)

Cyclone next
ila_renderedila_renderedila_rendered

Offline __russ__

• Dyson Repairs Essex
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 10:51:09 am »
Well the de Stijl has just arrived, it is a complete and utter wreck!! No wonder they ignored my request for for photos. Parts I need!

*Wand
*Hose
*spine
*cyclone

All main bits, I'm ever so mad and feel like it's just an absolute waste of money :(. The handle has snapped off the wand, where the wand sits into the spine is all smashed, hose taped and crushed, and where the dirt enters the cyclone is smashed so there is going to be air leak. Feel like putting it straight in the bin!

Is it worth saving??

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

Yikes, that was a very deceiving photo cutting the top of the wand off when it's broken like that  :(

If it already owes you £25, to repair it in true De Stijl colours, I think would be just too expensive to repair for any sort of profit as parts can be a pain in the bum to get hold of.

Looks like it's only good for a donor machine to be brutally honest   :'(

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 02:07:51 pm »
That is a shame, although been there too. I think selling it for parts should get your money back and we will never speak of it again!

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 02:28:20 pm »
It's come up quite nicely, think I'm gonna put it away then keep eyes open for bits for it :) ila_rendered

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 01:54:16 pm »
I got a £22 burnt out DC04 absolute+ purple lime, it wasfilthy, and had a cracked but glued cyclonbe handle, so annoyed, but I like it, its an pkay machine but its in Damn awful condition! You got the better deal, honestly

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 10:10:10 pm »
To be honest i think I am going to strip it this weekend and ebay what I can. Manchester vacs have saved me a spine for it but I had this game with a dc07 animal the to spent about 80 quid on. Excluding cost of vacuum!! I'm just gonna waste my time and effort and end up disappointed.

Also I cannot find a de Stijl wand for it anywhere, so goodbye first de Stijl. I'm back on the hunt for a good one! Not even leaving the con artists feedback on ebay, it's scrap and should never have been sold.

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2013, 10:14:52 pm »
Can I see a pic of your purple lime? I've got one that's in pretty good condition. Don't use it just gone to the collection now :) ila_rendered

DC04 Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration