The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Dyson horror stories  (Read 5949 times)

Offline Sleaford White

Dyson horror stories
« on: November 18, 2013, 04:58:17 pm »
I was talking to a bloke at my market stall yesterday. He told me about a bloke in East Yorkshire who bi-passes thermal fuses!!! I've heard loads of tales about how people skimp on cleaning cyclones, washing HEPAs and stuff but this is down right dangerous!
I got a joblot a couple of months ago where it was obvious a few has cable connectors crimped on with just pliers and not a proper crimping tool. I found out when a customer brought a DC04 back to me with a cable in one hand and the 04 in the other! Thankfully there was only one other in that batch with dodgy terminations.
There must be some dodgy stories out here that are so dangerous they are funny!

Offline absolutepurplelime

Re: Dyson horror stories
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 11:28:06 pm »
The dc04 I rescued, well the wire for the motor that runs down the spine had copper showing. I assume this had been done when they had had the motor out of it. And when they put it back they trapped the cable between the motor housing and the spine and it just cut through it!!

Also a dc04 that had been rewired, the wire from the motor that is a male spade connects to a female spade on the mains cables is obviously spade connected then a rubber insulator around it, oh no this one had 2 bits of wire spun together and taped.

They must assume that they can do what the hell they like in the switch housing as they assume it's never going to be seen by the person who has brought it. Yet it could take someone's life like in the case you saw when the wire had come apart from the connections and machine!!

I am not a qualified electrician but all my machines are wired up correctly and safely. You would think these people who call them self dyson engineers would follow basic safety and realise how dangerous electricity is!

Funny you should write this post as I was thinking to myself the other day about posting some pictures of some so called refurb Christmas gift specials. But didn't want to insult anyone's skills/work, my biggest hate is machines that are a non generic model where they mismatch colours really badly!! 

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 01:00:27 pm »
Had a DC04 with the cables soldered directly to the switch, was safe but annoying as I had to cut it all out and fit a new switch! :underchair:
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 07:21:23 am »
Got something worthy of this thread now!

Girlfriend bought this lovely DC04 Ab+ home last night, her friend was about to give up with it as it was 'rubbish', could I help...

:thumbsup:

but not without fixing some major issues along the way...

:o

:tiphat:

"The hose doesnt work, hasn't for years..."

12p will do that..

Never had this before though. It had gone before as it was glued up, however the glue had dried out and it just crumbled as I inquisitivly poked it. Knew the spare chassis I kept would come in handy! Purple or grey though...

"It just spits stuff out on the floor...

And another part to get from the spares pile:

Hopefully it *should* be slightly improved when I'm finished!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline ocddyson

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 05:32:00 pm »
Should be a lot better once cleaned out a bit, for sure it will be a lot better than it was, the old lady across the road from me happened to mention that her dyson was the worst hoover she had as it was not good at picking up etc, I said to her let me have a look at it and the airway inspection tube was blocked with felt pens!! apparently her daughter had borrowed it, cleaned it all out and fitted a new belt for her and its going like a champ now she is delighted with it.
DC04 and DC07's for me and the occasional DC14.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 11:45:23 am »
Well it came up like new! Motor is slightly whiny on turn off, probably through years of abuse but works fine.

The only annoying thing was it broke 2 clutch-motor belts when I was testing it. Narrowed it down to the belts (hope the rest of the batch is fine, not had any complaints yet). Would run for 2 mins then ping - broke.

Put the old belt back on and it's fine. Owner said she had to empty it 3 times vacuuming her flat as it's never been done so well.

Another happy customer!

Dyson Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram