The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Electrolux gazzelle 1900w motor issue  (Read 5189 times)

Offline brett83

Electrolux gazzelle 1900w motor issue
« on: April 30, 2014, 10:11:58 am »
Hi,

I tried to fix one of these for a customer.

She had vacuumed up a lot of carpet hair from a newly fitted carpet which had got into the motor housing and caused it to over heat and cut out.  I cleared all airways and the debris from the motor housing but the motor still cuts out within <2 mins of running.  This happens even when the bin isn't fitted. When it runs the suction is good so no blockages.

I have diagnosed the motor, it can't be anything else.  If a motor overheats due to blockages, can it still run hot and over heat even once the blockage is removed, if so why is this? Is it just faulty ?

Thanks

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: Electrolux gazzelle 1900w motor issue
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 11:59:28 am »
I'd say the motor is knackered. Will be a cheap cheap motor in this cheap cheap vacuum so sadly either find another motor or find another vacuum.

Unless you havent had the motor out yet, in which case try there. Could be that it's covered the thermal cut out in crap, which is causing it to overheat. However going by Dyson motors, once it starts cutting out with no load its :dead-dyson:
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline brett83

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 05:02:11 pm »
Thanks, I did bench test the motor and it seemed to work ok. Did keep it running for long though I suspect if I had kept it running it would have still cut out.

Offline MikeR

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 11:07:36 am »
Hi,

Not seen one of these for a while, but from memory!!! there is an exhaust filter built into the motor housing, remove the plastic that is over it and clean it well. If the cleaner has been used without the filter in the  dirt bin then the motor fan will be full of hair and dust. it is possible to take the motor apart to clean it. The majority of these cleaners have had a new motor, as the originals burnt out within the guarantee. Apart from the motors burning out, we have not had any problems with them cutting out apart from what I have listed above. Non genuine replacement motors are available, but not really worth it.

Keith

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram