The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Bit of help needed.  (Read 5372 times)

Offline Footey

Bit of help needed.
« on: May 08, 2014, 01:34:14 pm »
Hi folks our Dyson DC08 animal suddenly stopped working mid hoover. I'm a complete novice when it comes to fixing a hoover so i thought changing the motor would solve the problem.I ordered the motor and conversion kit as it was the UDS motor and it all arrived this morning i've just fitted it but its still completely dead. I'm thinking there can only be 2 other things wrong one being the power switch or the other being the power cord. All filters are new and fuses changed etc does anybody have any idea? Cheers Martin

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: Bit of help needed.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 10:55:18 pm »
Chop 6 inches off the plug end of the cord and rewire a plug!

Or get a known working bit of cable, and wire it straight to the motor. Either pushed into the crimps and a bit of tape or crimp on the proper terminals. Either way if it fires you'll know.

I've had a fait few dc05s fixed with the choppy choppy though!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 10:57:02 pm »
Thinking about it my last dc08 had a broken switch which caused it to either briefly fire or not at all.

Wire straight to the motor first, then if that works wire off the switch. Dc03,4,5,7 and 14 switches fit so plenty to choose from if so!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Footey

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 01:03:13 pm »
Thanks for replying m8 took your advice and bypassed the power switch but still nothing, then i chopped 6 inches off the cord and bingo the thing fired up. Thanks for your help much appreciated!  :thumbsup:

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 02:55:28 pm »
Excellent, got to love a free fix!

The cylinder ones tend to go at the plug and DC04's go where the cable enters the machine. All caused by repeated yanking over a fair few years!

Offline Footey

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 08:57:26 pm »
Well it saves me ordering more parts, i did buy a motor which i didnt need to but still better than buying a new hoover lol, cheers again.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 10:01:43 pm »
Just keep it in its box for when the inevitable happens. Or lob it on eBay!

Or catch the bug and find a dc08 with a blown motor, strip and clean it and voila, an upstairs vac or sell it on Facebook or eBay as a working machine!

Then go buy 20 and rinse and repeat...

Dyson Cylinder Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram