The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: DC24 Cyclone Assembly Spring for Canister Door  (Read 6817 times)

Offline Dysonic

DC24 Cyclone Assembly Spring for Canister Door
« on: June 20, 2014, 03:26:56 am »
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum but not new to Dyson vacuums. One of the current Dyson vacuums I own is the DC24 multi-floor and I am having a problem with the second stage lever spring that is part of the lever mechanism for the release of the canister door. The second stage I am referring to is the middle lever that I have shown in the picture. It works with the lever above it and the lever below it to open the canister door. The problem I'm experiencing is that the pictured lever keeps getting too close to the cyclone assembly causing it to hit the edge of the cyclone assembly instead of meeting with the bottom third stage lever to cause the door to open. When I assemble it everything is working fine but as soon as I lock the canister back onto the vacuum and then take it off the lever is pushed in too far and I have to pull it forward so that it makes contact with the bottom third stage lever. I carried out a search on this website to see if there were any threads that about this problem and I found two but they both were unanswered.

I have tried several different ways of positioning the spring to make it work properly but each and every time the same problem comes about. I think my problem is that I am not installing the spring properly. I could be wrong though and it could be an issue unrelated to the spring but I am almost sure the spring is the problem. Has anyone had this problem or know about this problem and able to offer me advice? My local stores no longer carry the DC24 which is unfortunate because I was hoping to look at a floor model and see how the spring is positioned and the related parts. I hope the pictures offer a better explanation than my words.

Offline Dysonic

Re: DC24 Cyclone Assembly Spring for Canister Door
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 03:29:57 am »
I couldn't attach the pictures to my first post without an error being thrown so I will attach them in separate posts.

Offline Dysonic

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 03:31:06 am »
More pictures

Offline Dysonic

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 03:32:06 am »
Last picture

Offline Dyson Tech

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 03:06:22 pm »
The spring does not just spring up and down, there is twist tension it needs as well.

Look at the little tab on the spring.

That locates in the bottom to lock the spring. The lever is then put in this position - note the tab on the spring.....

The lever is then twisted round so there is tension created to hold it in the right position during reassembly.

Its hard to explain but easy to do once you have the knack.
We expect that by seeking advice here, you are competent enough to be able to make any electrical installations safely and in a safe and legal manner in your jurisdiction. If you are in any doubt whatsoever, do consult an electrician. You implement any advice you read at this site at your own risk.

Offline Dysonic

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 07:01:24 pm »
Thank you very much for your reply. I followed your post and I was able to successfully reassemble the spring and now it works properly. I would have never thought about the twist tension to keep the lever in the proper position. Thank you once again.

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram