The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Numatic Henry!  (Read 13495 times)

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Numatic Henry!
« on: July 13, 2014, 10:33:45 pm »
I've been looking for a vacuum for the car/shed/diy etc for a while now. My stepbrother found me a dead 2010 henry, which I;ve fixed and used it to clean the cars out yesterday, but it's too nice for a snotter, and will be refurbed and sold soon.

Today at the car boot, I found this! (Saw it as I drove in TBH, and went straight up and knocked him down from £25 to £10.

I had a closer look when I got home

From 1993

Missing his handle (one on order)

All looking very battered! I plugged him in throug the RCD and he turned on, but sounded like crap, and had no suction at all!

I fixed the hose next, pulling off layers of gaffa tape and simply dismantling the hose ends, chopping the damage off and re-assembling it!

So I dropped my daughter off at Nannys, and whilst Amy was asleep ready for work tonight I stripped him down!

Found this long forgotten inside the cord reel. I binned it!

Good old plaster dust...

Removed the motor cover and fell over!

This DID run!

Started removing the wires to get the motor out

Cord rewind wires

How this thermal cutout didnt blow I have NO idea...

t'other end of the cutout, and the neutral to the motor

Then the live to the motor

Switch and power nozzle socket out

Power socket stripped for washing

Popped the cord reel contacts off

Now onto the motor...

Carbons off

2 bolts out and the top taps off the bearing

and the coil is removed

Fans look crap

just to remind me to put them back in!

Fan casing split

Packed solid

After some screwdrivering (dc04 switch remover comes in handy for this)

More hair

Some screws

>:( >:(

This pile came from JUST the motor

and made a right mess of me lawn

Onto the last bits then

FFS, if your going to use them bagless, make sure there isnt a bastard hole in the filter...

Yummy

This was half out anyway due to crap packing itself behind it and pushing the clips out

Front wheels off once I;d dug the nuts out

and some more scraping

Rear wheels next

and he was stripped! Then my crap camera decided to go from full to 'no I wont turn on...' so no more pictures for now (I cant wait to get my phone back!)So...

Everythings been washed and is now drying
Motor is back together with the bearings re-packed with grease and all spinning nice and smoothly now, with just a slight bit of friction somewhere that doesnt seem to bother it and I doubt will be an issue when fired up properly
Filter and hose have literally just finished in the washing machine, will sew the hole up...

Will try and find some more batteries for tomorrow when hopefully it gets a polish and goes back together! Then when the handle and bags come I can get using it!

Poor Henry, I;m surprised he didnt catch fire already...
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: Numatic Henry!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 08:22:02 am »
Well Henry is cleaned, most of the big marks have been removed and he is back together! My camera decided that the full batteries it had in were actually dead so not many pictures for now I'm afraid!

The motor went back together well and sounds better now the bearings have some grease in but it rubs slightly somewhere. Not enough to impede operation, but I'll use it for a bit then open him back up again and see if I can spot where its rubbing/catching!

Works like new again! Just need to sew the filter up and fit the bags when they come and I'll christen him this weekend by cleaning out a car or something! Just got the 2010 Henry to do next, I'll put a thread up of that too as it's VERY different!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: Numatic Henry HVR200
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 11:18:49 pm »
Well, all was not well with Crap Henry (tm)

I was using it to clean off the filter on the Hoover Hurricane, and the motor slowed right down, made a low rumbly popping noise and smelt of burning, so I turned it off. Seems the armature was shot, and the carbon brushes were down to the springs... (I didnt look at them tbh!)

Bother, so I got my battered NV250 (also from 1993) out of storage and grabbed the motor. I also got the switch and power takeoff plug and put the rest by the gate to go to the tip, as he was due for it anyway!

New motor was fitted. I didnt strip it down, it worked fine anyway

I also fitted a new cable, since the original was cut quite badly, and very short (cable came from a flymo of probably the same vintage!)

This means I can go up to the shed without needing an extension lead! And out to the cars with only a short extension (although when I eventually get power to the shed it will go out to the road)

Chucked a Qtex bag in too, the old one was full of crap from the hurricane filter, it stank!

And now he sits triumphently above broken Henry and Hetty, who need to wait until payday to get 2 pcbs for before getting their turn!

Not a valid youtube URL

Offline GarvielLoken

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 05:17:50 pm »
Excellent!
Detailed Pics
This inspired me to fix mine.

i have a question.
Is there supposed to be grease on the spring contacts  (where the power lead fixes on)

Thanks

Offline RustySkull

• Kirby, Royal, Sebo =)
    • RustySkull Productions YouTube
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 07:17:37 pm »
I actually sat and read this one, I usually start to vibrate and fall asleep before long on these long threads... Very nice work.
If You Like Machines, Radios and Cars As Well As Vacuum Cleaners Then Check Out The Official RustySkull Productions YouTube!
>>>>>>RustySkull Productions YouTube!<<<<<< >>>>>Twitter<<<<<>>>>>Instagram<<<<<

Offline Madrat

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 08:57:09 pm »
And he wanted £25 for it.... in that state.......  :o

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 07:32:22 pm »
He always was a cock that seller,  I don't bother anymore with him. Saying that I didn't go to amy car boots last year,  buy too much crap!

Ive just had 4 henrys in for new switches,  owned by a place that makes dental stuff,  the carbon plastic dust kills switches in 6 months he said, so hopefully I'll see more!

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram