The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: DC58 Animal,DC59 Animal and new DC59 Motorhead interchangable?  (Read 8876 times)

Offline dan76n

Hi all,
I really need some help here about interchangeable parts.
We own a DC58 handheld and a DC14 upright and both do their jobs great.
My wife is currently 20 weeks pregnant and is starting to struggle with the DC14 so I had a thought.
(To be clear I do help with the vacuuming but my wife enjoys doing it herself)
What my idea was is to purchase the DC59 Animals purple wand and Animal floor tool and attach them to our DC58 Animal as my understanding is that the main units are identical.
I have now noticed the new DC59 Motorhead which apparently out performs the DC59 Animal so thought I could buy the Motorhead floor tool if it fits.

Can anyone please confirm for me that one or both of the above options will work?
In hindsight we should of bought the DC59 Animal but decided against as we already had the DC14.

Offline dan76n

Re: DC58 Animal,DC59 Animal and new DC59 Motorhead interchangable?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 10:40:43 am »
I received this reply from Dyson customer service:

Quote from: Dyson
It is not possible to use the DC59 parts on the DC58 due to the difference in electrical connections within the machine. Whilst these parts would fit, prolonged use of these on the DC58 would likely cause damage to the motor of the machine and would also invalidate the 2 year guarantee on the machine.

I'm a little skeptical as to whether this is just Dyson propaganda.
Any electrical Tech savy people know if this is true?

Offline __russ__

• Dyson Repairs Essex
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 11:16:28 am »
I can't help with that particular model I'm afraid but I've been using the DC35 extension pole and motor head on my DC31 Animal with no problems.

I think Dyson said something similar about interchanging parts between those models...

Offline dan76n

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 11:15:54 am »
I can't help with that particular model I'm afraid but I've been using the DC35 extension pole and motor head on my DC31 Animal with no problems.
I think Dyson said something similar about interchanging parts between those models...

Just found it. http://www.dysonforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=181

In spite of being repeatedly lied to by Dyson staff, I have now confirmed that the DC35 'Wand assy.', part number:920506-01 will fit and work on the DC31, and that the DC31 powered head works as well.

Being disabled, the extra reach is ideal, but it was only recently that I found a retailer with the appropriate models in stock, so I could confirm what I had always suspected, that the DC35 'Wand Assy.' would fit and work on the DC31. Why Dyson staff had been told to lie, is beyond me, but that is what has repeatedly happened whenever I have tried to get a definitive answer from Dyson.

I have not purchased the DC35 powered head at approximately £60, as the smaller DC31 'Animal' powered head is adequate at present, so the 'Wand Assy.' at approximately £25 is all I needed.

The DC31,34 & 35 have exactly the same battery, and if the powered head motors are rated the same, which I have not yet personally been able to discover, but someone else on here has confirmed, there is no reason why extra load is placed on the main digital motor, which I'm also informed, although I haven't yet been able to definitely prove, is exactly the same for all three models.

I don't get their methods here? It's very poor customer service to do this. Added to that they could make a few dollars out of those that purchased the lower model.

Its funny as people refer to Dyson as the Apple of vacuums which from a pricing point they are but Apple craps all over them when it comes to customer service.

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration