The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: DC01 Main seal upright to swivel head  (Read 6060 times)

Offline ash4700

DC01 Main seal upright to swivel head
« on: August 25, 2014, 07:55:30 am »
Good morning all,
I have a DC01 about 12-13 yrs old, and have noticed that suction from brush head is not as good as it used to be. I have found air leaking past main seal between the swivel head and the main body of the machine. THe seal is located by the RH wheel.  I found a picture on this forum & have attached (hopefully I have I've done this correctly :)  )
I don't know if the seal is the problem or the amount of play on the main pivot. When in the working position you can move the the head unit up against the seal & this appears to reduce loss of suction.
Is there a repair kit or components that allow you to tighten up wear in this pivot and also replace this main seal?

Many thanks for any advice tips you can supply.
Thanks

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
Re: DC01 Main seal upright to swivel head
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 11:23:00 am »
Is the cleaner head pivoting point worn out? Near the motor spindle, does the head wobble? If so, then that can cause a gap  for suction loss

Offline ash4700

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 09:42:19 am »
Thanks for feedback.
I have searched through forum and internet but cannot see anything to advise if there is a kit or spare part offered to tighten up the pivot.
Can anyone advise if there is something available to tighten up the pivot?

Thanks

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 11:07:43 pm »
There won't be anything out there to do that I'm afraid!

Got a picture of the pivot on the floor head, and of the seal? Might be able to spot something amiss. Also, what's the pivot on the other side like? The yellow surround seated on the stub correctly etc?
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline DC01020304vacs

• Me, myself and?? My Dysons
    • Range Rover Spare Parts
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 08:30:55 am »
I've got a feeling that recently I saw the main pivot seals for dc01 foe sale somewhere. I've been on many websites recently could I be wrong?? :underchair:

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 08:32:41 am »
Id imagine there's a few out there still!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 09:40:23 am »
Well I reckon mine was caused when the base plate is on

Floor head was smooth without the base plate, put the base plate on and it got stiff again. Seems to be fixed by a smear of grease on the seal, and backing the screws off by a mm by the belt area.

DC01 Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration