The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: DC41 does not switch on  (Read 4992 times)

Offline Jonah

DC41 does not switch on
« on: September 10, 2014, 07:43:48 am »
Hello,
We have a DC41 about 6 months old. It just will not start :dead-dyson:, tried changing the plug fuse, verified the socket was good. I know I could call Dyson to my house as its under warranty, however because we have emigrated they have informed us the warranty is only valid for the UK. So not happy about that. Does anyone have any advise, like is there an internal fuse? a cable that always snaps? a connector that falls off? Anyone experiencing this problem your stories would be a good starting point before I have to consider shipping it back to the UK at a family members house to call Dyson out and then ship it back.
I look forward to your replies.

Offline macman

Re: DC41 does not switch on
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 05:41:33 pm »
Basically, cable, switch or motor. You don't say where you are, but it would surely be cheaper to get it fixed locally than pay shipping costs 2 ways to get a warranty fix? A continuity test will quickly eliminate a cable or switch fault.
I doubt the motor, because you'd have heard and smelt it go. You've lost power to both motors? If so, that points to a switch or cable fault, which are both simply and cheaply fixed.
I'm assuming that you have cleaned the filters and these are not blocked?

Offline Jonah

Re: DC41 does not switch on
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 03:46:28 pm »
Ok I stripped it all the way down.
I do not get continuity through the internal black cable with the thermal fuse or through the yellow wire thats appears to have something internal under the black insulation.
Oh and the spring for the cable pinged off everywhere as a future warning to others. That made me jump. lol

Dyson Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram