The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Dyson-ish DC05 motor in Nilfisk  (Read 5656 times)

Offline HDS2000

Dyson-ish DC05 motor in Nilfisk
« on: September 18, 2014, 07:48:17 pm »
20 years ago I bought a Nilfisk GM90 and the missus knocked the holy crap out of it for years. Eventually it just gave up; expiring with a shower of sparks according to her, and it got chucked in the "to be sorted" pile, along with everything else I couldn't be ar..  would eventually get around to.
So, I wondered about re-brushing it, then discovered the brushes were deliberately consumer unfriendly - no easy-replace Dyson brushes in this thing.
Having a look around I realised the Dyson motors were very close in size and one of them would fit in the Nilfisk motor housing.
I didn't want to spend too much on it, in the chance it would be a waste of money and time, so bought a cheapy ebay motor from Parts'N'Farts or somewhere.
Hah; they claimed the original price was £45, reduced to £15; yeah, right.  :)
Still, if it lasts a year I'll be happy - sheet, if it lasts a couple of months and goes pop I won't be heartbroken, as it's just a proof of concept and I can stuff decent quality Dyson motors into Nilfisks now until the cows come home.

On with the show...

Yeah; this looks high quality. Like a firecracker...  >:(
ila_rendered

Once the old motor's out, put a bead of silicone round the top and bottom of the base rubber bumper, to anchor the motor. It will sit there fine without this, but this is to prevent rotation.
ila_rendered

Also as part of the anti-torque bodge, a four-some blob of PU foam is put in place.
ila_rendered

The Dyson motor is approx 21mm shorter than the Nilfisk, so this spacer is cut 22mm to centralise it and bear down slightly on the rubber. The spacer is a piece of 28mm PEX pipe, rasped out slightly on the bottom to fit over the bearing housing with a bit of heat. I don't see that going anywhere.
ila_rendered

Another thing had to be done - cure all the cracks in the bottom casing. This seems to be a problem with the plastic GS/GM series, as I see replacement casings still for sale - but at one helluva price. Sod that, it's ABS and can be glued or hot welded. I opted to glue it up as I had a pot of ABS / PVC pipe glue and plenty of box conduit spare.

Ugly but effective, and from normal viewing it's not seen anwyay.
ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: Dyson-ish DC05 motor in Nilfisk
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 08:48:13 pm »
Nice save! Should last a while now!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline HDS2000

Re: Dyson-ish DC05 motor in Nilfisk
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 10:35:42 pm »
Nice save! Should last a while now!
I hope so - I'm keeping an eye out for others. Just missed one, but it was too far up the road and the seller CBA sending it, even though I was willing to pay for postage.  There are still a lot of these around, at the right price.

Dyson Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration