The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: DCO7 motor brushes change?  (Read 5778 times)

Offline lcoldfield

DCO7 motor brushes change?
« on: January 11, 2015, 05:23:29 pm »
My DC07 has started to smell slightly - hot electrical insulation.  I guess the brushes are in need of replacement.  On most non-Dyson machines I can do this fairly easily, but I am not familiar with the DC07 and I am thinking that if I have to take the motor out to do it I might as well order a new motor.
Am I correct?
Laurence

Offline __russ__

• Dyson Repairs Essex
Re: DCO7 motor brushes change?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 05:27:35 pm »
My DC07 has started to smell slightly - hot electrical insulation.  I guess the brushes are in need of replacement.  On most non-Dyson machines I can do this fairly easily, but I am not familiar with the DC07 and I am thinking that if I have to take the motor out to do it I might as well order a new motor.
Am I correct?
Laurence

Yes - if you're at the stage where there's a burning smell, it's better to replace the whole motor rather than just the brushes.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 07:10:15 pm »
By the time the machien starts to smell the armature is normally cooked and the bearings heat damaged. I've swapped motor internals about before on a DC07 motor, but tbh it's a massive faff, and I wouldn't do it again vs the cost of a new motor with another 10-15 years of life in it!

Feel free to try though and report back! - https://manchestervacs.co.uk/DysonForum/index.php/topic,1310.0.html
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Madrat

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 08:55:57 pm »
Totally agree. I've tried several times with new carbons but never succeeded and its such a fiddly job. Much easier to change the motor.  I'm sure there is a thread on hear showing the dismantling of a DC07

Offline Angus Black

• Dyson Medic
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 01:19:44 am »
I'm sure there is a thread on hear showing the dismantling of a DC07

There is one here: How to change a Dyson DC07 motor

DC07 Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon