So, this morning, she was all washed and dried!
I started with the floor tool
which came up very well
These are lovely, lovely floor tools, easily one of my favourites! Shame they go so rusty when they start.
Onto the lower half now
I put the cord reel assembly back in before putting the wheels on, as it was much easier!
and fitted the cable protector
fitted the wheels, putting the two grey ones at the back to hide them from the frontal view
Routed and fitted the wires for the PTO socket
Motor next, and a nice new bearing pressed onto the armature
and pushed onto the top of the fan case
The coil drops on top
carbon holders fitted to the top cap, and the top cap screwed into placehttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-VaETj_o6q-w/VeSAyMhJ5WI/AAAAAAAAq3k/-0aIr8QbgwM/s800-Ic42/upload_-1.jpg
First fan in and the spacer with it
Second fan on
and the fancase on
fitted the carbons and tail wires
The motor mount drops onto the main chassis, the wires are routed in, the 3 bungs placed on, the motor wires connected and the motor dropped in placehttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-dgmfxgWkWEE/VeSBN8I5sOI/AAAAAAAAq4U/VpXNH33XYSo/s800-Ic42/upload_-1.jpg
The diffuser foam on this era of Hoover always deteriorates, and this has just started. Hopefully a good wash will stop that. Refitted fine though
That done, the top dome fits over the base, and is screwed down. The bag chamber baffle drops in
(Amy was still out at this point, but apparently she went straight to halfords and bought a big can of switch and contact cleaner), so I fitted the PCB and bag full indicator so I could crack on, with the view to have it out again later when she returned.
The cover and tool port screw down, and the cord rewind pedal pops into place over its spring
Getting there now!
There were some new filters included with the machine, so I cracked one out
Cracked open a new old stock pack of bags (in the more faded than the other packet)
and dived straight into doing this!
Which it did very well at. However, I did notice that the motor sounded very 'off', and was running hotter than it should. This was tricky as I've been deaf in one ear all weekend, but even I noticed it. So, it was back apart with the motor quickly, and it seems I had pushed the bearing too far onto the shaft, altering the position of the armature, and causing the carbon brushes to run in a different position. A quick tweak down a few mm made it sound much better! She's still not as smooth as I'd like, but I think part of that is from the top bearing which is non servicable, and obviously unobtanium.
It also seems that the single layer old bags leave a bit to be desired
Amy came home sometime later, and had indeed bought switch and contact cleaner! So, out came the PCB again
and the speed control module was cleaned out. I also had a brainwave...
The locating peg was spinning within the adjuster knob, which wasn't helping matters, so a drop of glue sorted that out and...
Much better! and the knob stops when it gets to either end of the rotation!
Much more vacuuming was done, and although I can't really tell if it sounds better, it ran cooler.
That'll do for now! I'll use her a bit more, then clean her up, put another coat of wax on to remove all my fingerprints and she can come out on special occasions! I feel very lucky to have this, very lucky indeed!
Just need to find a bag door latch now...