The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Hoover Galaxy SC228  (Read 15124 times)

Offline Madrat

Re: Hoover Galaxy SC228
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2015, 02:20:12 pm »
Of course it's raining it's bank holiday and we are away  :(  we did manage to cycle all round Rutland water yesterday, 17 miles, most of it in the rain, me arse. Oh god me arse, have ordered a big bum gell sadle

Offline Tech12

• Electrical Appliance Engineer / Trainer.
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2015, 02:51:56 pm »
Buy a pot of food grade Coconut oil cream, works wonders on saddle sores & chapped / chafed skin.
I use it on my hand when the scarring gets tight & it really loosens it up.
Repairs to All makes of Small Commercial & Domestic appliance. Power tool repair.
City & Guilds and PAT qualified engineer.

Offline Tech12

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2015, 04:12:10 pm »
Hey Sam: Don't keep us in suspenders ;D did they give Amy the right stuff ? & more important did it solve the problem ?.
Repairs to All makes of Small Commercial & Domestic appliance. Power tool repair.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2015, 04:46:04 pm »
Hehe yes and yes! Full update to follow..
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Tech12

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2015, 05:11:51 pm »
Excellent, glad it worked out.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2015, 08:18:08 pm »
So, this morning, she was all washed and dried!

I started with the floor tool

which came up very well

These are lovely, lovely floor tools, easily one of my favourites! Shame they go so rusty when they start.

Onto the lower half now

I put the cord reel assembly back in before putting the wheels on, as it was much easier!

and fitted the cable protector

fitted the wheels, putting the two grey ones at the back to hide them from the frontal view

Routed and fitted the wires for the PTO socket

Motor next, and a nice new bearing pressed onto the armature

and pushed onto the top of the fan case

The coil drops on top

carbon holders fitted to the top cap, and the top cap screwed into place

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-VaETj_o6q-w/VeSAyMhJ5WI/AAAAAAAAq3k/-0aIr8QbgwM/s800-Ic42/upload_-1.jpg

First fan in and the spacer with it

Second fan on

and the fancase on

fitted the carbons and tail wires

The motor mount drops onto the main chassis, the wires are routed in, the 3 bungs placed on, the motor wires connected and the motor dropped in place

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-dgmfxgWkWEE/VeSBN8I5sOI/AAAAAAAAq4U/VpXNH33XYSo/s800-Ic42/upload_-1.jpg

The diffuser foam on this era of Hoover always deteriorates, and this has just started. Hopefully a good wash will stop that. Refitted fine though

That done, the top dome fits over the base, and is screwed down. The bag chamber baffle drops in

(Amy was still out at this point, but apparently she went straight to halfords and bought a big can of switch and contact cleaner), so I fitted the PCB and bag full indicator so I could crack on, with the view to have it out again later when she returned.

The cover and tool port screw down, and the cord rewind pedal pops into place over its spring

Getting there now!

There were some new filters included with the machine, so I cracked one out

Cracked open a new old stock pack of bags (in the more faded than the other packet)

and dived straight into doing this!

Which it did very well at. However, I did notice that the motor sounded very 'off', and was running hotter than it should. This was tricky as I've been deaf in one ear all weekend, but even I noticed it. So, it was back apart with the motor quickly, and it seems I had pushed the bearing too far onto the shaft, altering the position of the armature, and causing the carbon brushes to run in a different position. A quick tweak down a few mm made it sound much better! She's still not as smooth as I'd like, but I think part of that is from the top bearing which is non servicable, and obviously unobtanium.

It also seems that the single layer old bags leave a bit to be desired

Amy came home sometime later, and had indeed bought switch and contact cleaner! So, out came the PCB again

and the speed control module was cleaned out. I also had a brainwave...

The locating peg was spinning within the adjuster knob, which wasn't helping matters, so a drop of glue sorted that out and...

Much better! and the knob stops when it gets to either end of the rotation!

Much more vacuuming was done, and although I can't really tell if it sounds better, it ran cooler.

That'll do for now! I'll use her a bit more, then clean her up, put another coat of wax on to remove all my fingerprints and she can come out on special occasions! I feel very lucky to have this, very lucky indeed!

Just need to find a bag door latch now... :censored:
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Tech12

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2015, 11:06:43 pm »
Nice job  :thumbsup:

Just a thought: Have you taken the bearing to your local bearing shop ?. We've got one about 8 miles from us & they're brilliant at sourcing Unobtainable bearings for different machines. As you know yourself, they're mostly bog standard sizes.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2015, 08:58:08 am »
I may try that one day. I'll have to drill the rivets out though, so will do it when I put her away in storage. It seems like the brass bush has worn, making it not run true. I put a blob of grease on it all, so it moves, and spins down for longer than it did, so sounds a bit better.

Offline Tech12

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2015, 09:28:09 am »
Aye: Brass bushes are notorious for wearing unevenly, a sharp tap on the end of the armature with a hammer & block of wood might centre the shaft better & make it run a bit easier for you.

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram