The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Hoover Turbopower U2332 Jan 1986 - Holiday find!  (Read 21372 times)

Offline renault567

• Restorer/Collector of vacuum cleaners
Re: Hoover Turbopower U2332 Jan 1986 - Holiday find!
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2015, 11:58:37 am »
The damage is terminal. The chassis has broken but cant complain as headlight switch brush all works and the cable is fine. Also it came with 2 genuine bags. Not bad for a tenner. It dates from March 87

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2015, 12:06:49 pm »
Ouch. If its green I have one in the shed if you want?
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline MrIan

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2015, 10:10:54 am »
Hi i have a hoover identical but the handle release will only lock upright when you push the pedal up with your foot and i cant get it into the flat low furniture position. I wonder if it is to do with the repacement wheels that are not genuine nor of the original style. Also the bag release catch is stiff to push down too.

Sounds like the chassis has gone, very common on all turbopowers. It's due to worn rear wheels that then rub on the chassis and eventually slice it through just above the pedal pivot point so the pedal then twists so doesn't lock unless you give it a little twist.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2015, 11:37:22 am »
I've also seen them snap under the trunnion, due to the pivots not pivoting nicely, or getting jammed and people forcing it. Broke a (admittidly scrappy) U1220 due to that last year.

I have a very rare turboboost which has a smashed chassis. Keep meaning to get the glue and fibreglass out to have a go at repairing it, but haven't got round to it yet! It snapped where the white reclining ring slides over the chassis arm, the whole things crunched off. May not be a pretty repair but as long as its useable, I'm happy with that!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Tech12

• Electrical Appliance Engineer / Trainer.
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2015, 11:48:34 am »
Pretty doesn't matter as long as you save it from the scrap pile. Have you ever tried Milliput ? Brilliant for smaller repairs & can be milled & drilled once hard. Lidl do a similar sort of thing from time to time & that's not bad either.
Repairs to All makes of Small Commercial & Domestic appliance. Power tool repair.
City & Guilds and PAT qualified engineer.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2015, 11:51:35 am »
Oooh not tried that, will have a look! It does need to be strong, although I can brace the repair internally too to help it.

I have the turboboost, which is pretty rare, and also a more common U2904 with the same issue. Want to have a trial run on the more common machine first just to make sure! Must get my arse in gear with it tbh.

Offline MrIan

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2015, 12:14:59 pm »
Depending on where exactly the break is i've used a hot soldering iron with a spreading tip on to melt and draw plastic over the crack before bonding over with anything. BUT the amount of stress on the rear of a turbo chassis when the machine is picked up will crack a repair again eventually.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2015, 12:18:03 pm »
I thought of that, then thought exactly what you have!

Was planning on glueing it all back together, then second skinning it internally with fibreglass. Never having used fibreglass before though, I'm not sure if it will just sit ontop of the plastic and not be much help at all, or will do a really good job.

If trunnions were more plentiful, I have been tempted to cut a whole section out of one, cut the bad section out of mine then glue/fix/epoxy/magic the two together, but then there would be one massive weak point on the whole thing, rather than several weak spots that could be stitched together.

Offline Tech12

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2015, 12:18:50 pm »
1 of my mates is an ex REME mechanic & swears by Milliput, apparently it was part of their standard emergency kit. Have to be fair it's got me out of a few scrapes, not cheap but well worth the money.
You could try stitching it with stiff wire under the patch to strengthen it, I've done that in the past with good results both on plastic cases and pcb's. But if it's an area on show then it's not so good.
To get the fibreglass to adhere better, you need to rough up the plastic first. Don't use super glue to stick it together, it's got no gap filling properties. Use something like Gorrila glue or Araldite.
Repairs to All makes of Small Commercial & Domestic appliance. Power tool repair.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2015, 12:29:59 pm »
I've found milliput on ebay, seems fairly reasonable. Does it work/feel/look like an epoxy type product? Does it 'melt into' the plastic it's sticking together or just sit strongly on top? Would I be able to use thin beads of it spidering off the repair to act as strengthening braces? Or would some stiffish (thinking house socket type cable stripepd out of the shething) wire heated up and pressed into the surrounding area be any good at stiffening it up?

I did stick one of them together with qbond which did work, and I was going to leave it at that and just cover it in fibreglass, but then I forgot, leant on it and heard a crunch. It didnt fully fail, but I imagine it's half broken again!

Offline Tech12

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2015, 02:28:36 pm »
Milliput basically sets like steel & sticks quite well to most things, if you go to somewhere like Poundstretcher you can usually get a hank of uncoated fence wire for about 99p & that works well.

Offline Madrat

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2015, 03:18:50 pm »
gorilla glue is quite good stuff.

Offline Tech12

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2015, 03:54:01 pm »
gorilla glue is quite good stuff.

Yep works well, pretty good at sticking hands too  :: :-\

Offline Madrat

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2015, 04:07:02 pm »
 :))

If you think that's bad you should try the one shot stuff for fixing de-laminated caravan floor's  :o  my hands were green for over a week, slowly pealing the stuff off and having green nails for 2 months was not fun  :biglaugh:

Offline renault567

• Restorer/Collector of vacuum cleaners
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2015, 04:46:09 pm »
Despite the chassis being broken the lean is reducing with use and the pedal is locking upright without  persuasion. But it is the wheels. They are to high and stopping the pedal going down properly which prevents it going into the flat position. That and the axles are just nuts and bolts.

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration