The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: come on Henry, you can do it! (power button issue)  (Read 7456 times)

Offline Dude

come on Henry, you can do it! (power button issue)
« on: November 08, 2014, 10:23:46 am »
Hi guys, how are we all?  I currently have in my possession a Henry with the push down type power switch, not a rocker switch.  When the button is depressed the Henry turns on, however as soon as you let go of the button it stops again.  I thought it was the switch so replaced it, however that did not fix the issue.  Has anyone else had this problem and if so what was the fix please? I cannot see anything obvious... :boggleeye:

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: come on Henry, you can do it! (power button issue)
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 11:01:17 pm »
Ah the push button switches are cr@p!

Odd how it still happens after replacing the switch though. Checked the contacts under the cord housing? They could be nearly snapped, causing the symptoms. Cheap to buy, easy to fit.

Belt and braces, is to wire the motor straight to a mains cable using the appropriate crimps, switch it on at the wall, check it runs sweet. This will rule the motor out

Not seen one in much detail, but their the usual Henry faultfinding tips! It could also be a PCB
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Dude

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 11:14:15 pm »
Yes, odd and very annoying!  I replaced the switch, but not the red plastic button. Do you think I should try to get one of these incase that is the problem somehow?

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 11:32:29 pm »
Possibly. Can you push the switch on with a screwdriver? Maybe the red button has warped somehow
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Dude

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 10:04:51 am »
Yes, the switch operates perfectly when it's just hanging freely on the wires, it's when I put it all back together that it needs to be held down. It's like there is something preventing the red button from going down far enough to make the switch 'click'. Difficult to explain in words.. I'll take another look at it today. Things have escalated quite quickly for me, I thought 5 or 6 dysons was bad but I now have 40 dysons and 8 Henry's waiting for me to fix them! This switch thing is just annoying as it's something so simple but I just can't see what's wrong with it!
As always Belo1987, thanks for your time and advice!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 10:22:35 am »
Sounds like you have nothing to loose by buying a new switch cap and getting it moved on then! The housing etc around it OK? Does the switch and cap work when the top cover isn't on? (You'll have to drop the cord rewind in and be careful not to wobble it in the process though!

Offline Dude

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 10:41:43 am »
Well would you believe it, the damn thing is working fine this morning, I can't make it fail no matter haw many times I try it..  :grinn:

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 10:43:05 am »
It fixed itself! Well done!

Offline Madrat

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 12:01:29 pm »
I love it when they fix themselves  :thumbsup:

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration