The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: DC40 Not pivoting.  (Read 5090 times)

Offline CaptainSkeet

DC40 Not pivoting.
« on: November 09, 2014, 08:50:00 am »
Hello all, I'm glad that I found this forum after numerous hours of searching for some type of help with my issue. Let me start of by saying that I own a DC40 but it was gifted to me from my parents who got it from another friend...needless to say; I do not have a receipt of purchase.

Now to my issue...my wife and me had just bought a new couch and she assumed our Dyson was a shop vac... :'(.

After she tried to vacuum pieces of a tennis ball torn apart our Dyson had literally died. No power, in any position and the motor felt pretty hot to the touch. So i thought I could just take it apart and try to unclog the issue. After looking over the DC40 I found the button on the bottom of the vacuum that released the wand to allow you to remove debre that could be clogged up...and removed the tennis ball shards.

Afterwards I turned on my prize possession to hear the sounds of a freight train in my living room. So I had problem number two to deal with..because I had my wife looking at me like I had just put a baby in the oven..(Jokes). So I had no choice but to jump in the void of the unknown. So I started to take apart my DC40 motor assembly to figure out that I had no idea what I was doing..I ended up putting it back together hoping it would just maybe work out of shear luck.

When I was done re-assembling my lucky jewel I had 4 screws leftover and now my duct assembly (the ball) will not pivot without popping off. I am assuming that the gear lever is off track from how it should be and keeps applying pressure to the motor assembly which keeps it from pivoting back and forth as well as side to side. The good news is however is my vacuum does work and no longer sounds like a train lol.

I learned a lot tearing it apart but have not found anything online of how to disassemble nor reassemble the DC40. So my question is...does anyone here know how to put the gear lever back into place so it is in its correct track without breaking it or sending it off to service? Here is a link to motor assembly with all of the parts just in case anyone needs a reference to the pieces I am talking about:

ila_rendered

Any help is appreciated.

Offline CaptainSkeet

Re: DC40 Not pivoting.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 09:16:55 pm »
This issue has now been resolved thanks to the video posted here:

It shows how to reassemble the Yoke Assembly for the DC50 which is very very similar to the DC40.

Dyson Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram