The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Motor from one model into another?  (Read 3872 times)

Offline Dude

Motor from one model into another?
« on: November 25, 2014, 04:35:29 pm »
Ok, so perhaps a stupid question but here goes.  Are the motors from certain models able to be fitted into other models?  For example, can a motor from a DC07 be used in a DC04 (or indeed, the other way around)?  When looking at the motors they seem to be the same to me, but I haven't tried it yet incase there is some slight differences that I cannot see or notice?  If so, is there a list of which models have the same motors? 

I have a DC11 with a knackered motor, and a DC08 which is cracked here and there and faded - the motors look the same, so, could I safely use the motor from the DC08 in the DC11?

And, on from that, what about a motor in a clutched machine?  Can that be used in a non clutched machine and the other way around?  Sorry if this has been asked before or if it really is as obvious as it seems, I just thought I'd check before I go transplanting the wrong motors into the wrong machines!!

Offline macman

Re: Motor from one model into another?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 07:04:02 pm »
A DC04 motor will fit the DC07/14/27/33 also, and vice versa. Unless you have a clutchless DC04, in which case you'll need the Ametek adaptor kit. Otherwise, clutched or clutchless makes no difference.
DC08/11 YDK motors are the same, but Panasonic motor DC08's require a conversion kit in order to fit the YDK motor. So you couldn't fit the Panasonic motor in the DC11.

Offline Dude

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 07:13:06 pm »
Fantastic,  just what I wanted to hear!  Thanks!

Offline Madrat

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 09:47:48 pm »
I have found that upright YDK motors fit cylinder models, there is usually space for the drive shaft to fit without it causing any problems.

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram