The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Hitachi Powerhouse CV-770D Refurb!  (Read 2486 times)

Offline beko1987

  • Member
  • Posts: 4590
  • Country: gb
  • Gender: Male
  • Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Hitachi Powerhouse CV-770D Refurb!
« on: January 26, 2015, 10:58:23 PM »
I've had this one a while, saw it on ebay back in the summer, missed it, and grabbed it on the re-list. SWMBO picked it up, as she was going shopping that day (could have been any day really  :underchair:)

I remember seeing these everywhere when I was little! They ran for a few years, did a 900w, this one, 1100w, and 1300w I think, in different colours!

The hose came off first, as I had a load of dyson hoses and filters to wash, so bunged this in as well

Typical hitachi tools

It wasnt too bad when I got it, but it was a tad loud

So, on with the usual!

Bag door off

Door catch popped off

Inner seal removed

Pre motor filter wasnt too bad, I think the elderly couple who owned it since new took ok care of it

Handle off

Top cap popped off

Onto the underneath now

Blockage channel removed

Hood unscrewed and removed

Release pedal off

Belt guard off

Very stretched belt and brushroll removed

Brushroll end caps off

and the brushroll was split down

One of the bearings was seized solid, and the other was none too healthy, which explained the awful noise it made. More on that later

2 pivot hinges removed and the base seperates from the main body

Onto the wheels now

Wheels removed, and the brace bar removed, with its orientation refrenced

Height adjuster knob split and removed

There were 2 pictures of the rest of the reclining mechanism being removed, but the flash made them useless so I'll skip that, and move onto removing the baseplate seal

I tried to remove the rear wheels, but failed, and didn't want to damage the, so left them be!

Many screws later, and the main body of the machine splits into 2

Was filthy

Lower cord hook removed

Hose clip removed

Onto the top wiring now

Mains incoming terminal

I see alot of solder sadly around the switch terminals

I had to snip a wire to remove it all

Then realised I'd snipped the wrong wire, so had to snip again  :censored:

Carrying on, the bag fill indicator piston pops off

The whole motor assembly lifts out now, and this is the suction diverter piece

The bag seal pulls out

as does the bag holding clip

These clogged bits of foam revealed themselves

On to the motor now, it didnt look too clever

Rubber mount off

I decided to see how far the motor comes apart, so fan shroud tapped off

Fan retaining nut off

Fan and inner shroud off

The carbon brushes are removed with just a few screws

Which takes the rest of the wiring with it

All the wires the machine has

4 more screws seperate the motor unit

The coil seems to be fixed, so I didnt persuade it too hard, but the fancase bearing tapped out easily

and, brilliantly, was re-greaseable!

so I did

Coil and armature looked very good

and again, had a servicable bearing

All tickled, I re-assembled the motor unit

All the screws for the whole machine

Everything was the nwashed and dried, including the motor fan and fan cover as it was full of dust, and hair as it turned out once the water flushed it through!

All back together with the clean motor seals

Clean foam bungs were re-fitted

And I then fitted a lick of tape over them for good measure

Cleaned bag seal refitted

Motor was mated back up with the suction diverter, then the whole assembly drops into the chassis

Bag piston reassembled

and refitted

All the wiring was fitted and trunked appropriatly

and crimped up where I cut it

Lower cord hook and hose hook refitted

Bottom section now

Hood seal fitted

Reclining mechanism fitted

Front wheels refitted

Pivot clamps fitted

and the hood and blockage window screwed down. Was waiting for bearings by this point, so left her like this

Bag door clip back on

and the seal pushed into its slot

The pre motor filter cleaned up nicely

and that was that! 2 weeks later, the new bearings arrived (from some country or other), so work re-commenced!

anti vibration shim fitted into the bearing holder

fitted into the brushroll

End caps and axle fitted

New belts

All finally back together

And the old girl is all done! Things got a bit busy with paying Dyson work, so I've been using it upstairs whilst I wait to polish and wax and finish her, so for now, that's it!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!



Dyson Spare Parts



Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand



Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle





Sebo Vacuum Cleaners




Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacson Google+

Manchester Vacs on Instagram