The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Dyson cylinders are rubbish!  (Read 5024 times)

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
Dyson cylinders are rubbish!
« on: January 05, 2015, 11:50:23 pm »
I mean crap.  I love the uprights, had loads of them. However, with the cylinders, they are all crap (except the DC08, that was a very good machine!)
My first Dyson DC05 standard motor burnt out very quickly. Stupid thing had tools on the hose, clumsy thing. When the tools are located near the hose end, the crevice tool pokes you every once in a while! Put it in the middle, tools bash your legs whilst vacuuming. Out it near the machine end, its awkward getting the tools out especially when vacuuming the car. Tools can touch the dirty road.

Next we got a DC08 origin from the carboot for £8 with the crevice tool but no floor tool. Was I processed with the suction. More powerful than the DC07's we had. That made me keep it. Was pretty robust and a more appropriate design. It was bought a contact head for £2 at the carboot sale in yellow to match the colour and it was pretty good. Sadly it broke from switch failure after being used for plaster dust, saw dust, DIY stuff etc. Being bashed around, used filter less for DIY, left outside in the winder rain and snow for 4 months. Brought it home from that hostile environment and decided to fix it. Motor still worked but sounded rough. Put a dc01 switch in, but the vacuumed looked quite bad. Binned it sadly though.

Then a DC02 with all tools for £1.20. Was an okay machine, but crap suction. Pathetic machine. Size of a kids ride on car, or just two Numatic Henry's put side by side together. Nice tool storage though.

Then we got a DC05 Absolute+. That also suffered from the motor burn out and once again, had the clumsy design. Dragged it upstairs a little like. I was meant to, but the hose bracket came off and the machine tumbled down the stairs. Cable rewind was really slow and had to tie the remaining metre of cable around the thin handle which later snapped. Floor tool adjustment thing to convert it from carpet to hard floor broke. Suction was so string that it glued the soleplate to the floor, so the plate would not adjust, and the lever cracked then completely broke off in use.

Dyson cylinders are clumsy, but they went well with the DC08/19/20 models. That is all. The new ball ones suffer from pipe blockages apparently . Their uprights are spot on though!

Offline Madrat

Re: Dyson cylinders are rubbish!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 03:09:54 pm »
Our DC05 motor-head is still going strong on its original parts.

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 03:52:35 pm »
Cool, glad it works well for you. I like the DC05 design, except the tool storage, but it is somehow clumsy and awkward to use. I much prefer the DC08

Offline Madrat

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 04:14:18 pm »
Tool storage on DC05 and DC08 are the same.

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 04:21:54 pm »
Yes, but in the DC08 it can be removed and out on the back where the floor tool sits  or on the wand

Offline Madrat

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 04:26:51 pm »
Never found it a problem to be honest.

Dyson Cylinder Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter