The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Morphy Richards PremAir  (Read 6059 times)

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Morphy Richards PremAir
« on: January 04, 2015, 10:42:52 pm »
SWMBO's mum's vacuum cleaner broke several months ago, it's a horrible modern Hoover Xarion, and both tabs that hold the hose onto the machine snapped off, so she had to be very careful when vacuuming. It was like this for several months before she told me  :'(

Whilst idly browsing ebay (as you do), I saw a Morphy Richards PremAir locally. I remember seeing them new when I was younger, and one thing led to another and I won it (only bidder...)

Popped round my mums with it as it was close to her, and took the initial pictures there

All tools present, which was nice as the ad didn't specify this

THe ad said it didn't work too well, and was lsited for spares/repairs. I'm not sure how stupid people are, but it worked very well indeed. Needed new filters and a new bag, but certainly didn't warrant spares or repairs. Hey ho, it meant I got it for 99p! The deisel to pick it up probably cost more than that! The rollys I smoked on the way there and back cost more!

(back home)

filters were manky

Pre motor HEPA was certainly quite dead

The outer filter pulled out of the cage, and the internal one wasn't too bad underneath

I cut up a random filter from the shed, and it worked but tbh I wasn't impressed

The rest wasn't too tidy either

Tools fit nicely into the holder

All 3 floor tools came with it

Gradually it's turn came to be taken to bits and placed in the blue box of joy!

I tried to remove the tool holder door, but it wasn't playing ball, so moved onto the switch assembly

Cover off

Wiring for reference

once unplugged, the circuit board is removed

I removed the whole top assembly next

Cord rewind assembly removed

Motor removed

The bag door seal pulls out of the chassis.

Front wheel is removed

I tried again to seperate the bag door and tool door from the top housing, but it wouldn't seperate, and at risk of snapping it terminally, I left it all together

And moved onto the hose

The elaborate handle splits down into not alot!

Machine end pops off too

Turbo brush got stripped next

Looking at this, and the other two tools the turbo brush has seen ALL the use, and was a bit battered

Turbine removed

Years worth of dust packed inbetween the turbine blades!

The axle has seen some hair

The housing around the axle was quite worn, and the turbine axle wobbles about quite a bit, so I was a bit skeptical at this point. SWMBO's mum knew nothing still at this point, so I could just bin it and not say anything and stick to the normal floor tool

Which was next

This tool has seen very little use

The hard floor tool was unused, so I didn't touch that at all. I also kept it, as SWMBO's mum only has a tiny tiny bit of lino in her kitchen, and we have laminate all downstairs, and the tools are 35mm, and fit our Miele S5 perfectly, so I pinched it and use it now! (it's not that great tbh, doesnt pick everything up, but I digress)

Everything was washed and dried, and ready for re-assembly. The rear wheels wouldnt come off either so they were left too

Motor was wired up and inserted into the housing

as was the cord rewind

Top housing screwed on (not much in this machine tbh)

I pulled the top bit off the post motor filter and washed it, it came up well enough

Circuit board was given a clean with switch cleaner, and refitted

Switch housing refitted

Wheel hubcaps snapped back in

Front wheel greased up and re-assembled

Tools placed back in their slots

Sorry for the flash flare, but the bag housing seal was refitted, and the bag holder assembled and fitted

The turbo brush was re-assembled

Despite the wear to the housing, with everything greased up and assembled it holds itself tight and true, which is nice

The non turbo head was assembled too, no pictures of that though sadly!

Now it was all back together and working well, I splashed out many times what I paid for the whole machine, and found a new hepa filter for £11, and 19 bags for £6 on ebay!

Nice new bag

And the whole ensemble was finished! Total price was about £17, not bad really

I was just going to give it to her, but it was December the 19th by this point, and after a few beers, I decided it would be humerous to wrap it up and put it under the tree (she was coming over on xmas day for lunch), so I wrapped every part up seperatly, and stashed it under the tree. She opened up the dusting brush first, and was confused for a while, until she got to the main machine. Initial response is that it's very powerful, she has to use it on half power, or she can't push it. Her Xarion must have been crap! The turbo head is good with her 3 cats too. I've yet to check the bag!

So, one happy future mother in law, and a nice vacuum saved!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: Morphy Richards PremAir
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 09:49:02 am »
8 Months on, and SWMBO mentions that her mums been having a few issues with the plug, and that it's coming apart... Let's have a look

Aha!

Snippy snippy, wirey wirey

Amys mum physically cant use this on full power, it's too strong, so I grabbed the turbo nozzle and gave her flat a damn good once over. It's bloody hard to push, I had to open the bleed valve on the turbo nozzle to do those stupid plush rugs! Good to know it's still going well though, although the single wall bags have leaked a bit of dust, think it's on bag number 4 at the moment!

Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Madrat

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 03:59:08 pm »
The inners of that turbine look identical to the early dyson turbines.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 09:34:52 pm »
Yes,  it does.  Wouldnt be surprised if it was on many cleaners,  has been on dysons and sebos.  Its a wessel werk design apparently,  does work very well,  until you i tip it up or over then the brushroll stops as all the plastic inside is worn...

Gets rarely used though (i had to empty the under stairs krs cupboard to find it...) so no big deal.

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram