The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: DC07 rattles a bit on switch off  (Read 3402 times)

Offline tangotonyb

DC07 rattles a bit on switch off
« on: January 03, 2019, 02:11:10 pm »
I swapped the motor out of a broken DC04 into a DC07 where the old motor had burnt out.

It all works fine, no burning smell, no sparks, good suction, but on switch off, just before the motor stops, there's a little bit of a rattling sound. At first I thought it was the brush catching on the cover plate, but removing the plate makes no difference. It's all clean, it's not a stone caught up in the vacuum.

Is it a failing motor?

Offline Madrat

Re: DC07 rattles a bit on switch off
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 05:43:43 pm »
Is it a clutched version?

Offline tangotonyb

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 06:12:02 pm »
No - no clutch

Offline Madrat

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 06:36:46 pm »
I would say motor bearings.
Disconnect the belt and try it.

Offline tangotonyb

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 08:39:13 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion - did that and no sound

WIth further investigation, I've noticed the sound is almost exactly the same every single time. As the motor dies, there's two noises, click, click about 1 sec apart. I think it's one of the brushes on the roller catching something. But quite what I cannot tell, and why I can only hear it when I stop it is another mystery.
I salvaged the brush bar off another DC07 that the motor had failed on - I may need to try taking the bits that fit around the roller off it too and see if it makes any difference.

Offline Dysonboy

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 03:19:56 am »
Thanks for the suggestion - did that and no sound

WIth further investigation, I've noticed the sound is almost exactly the same every single time. As the motor dies, there's two noises, click, click about 1 sec apart. I think it's one of the brushes on the roller catching something. But quite what I cannot tell, and why I can only hear it when I stop it is another mystery.
I salvaged the brush bar off another DC07 that the motor had failed on - I may need to try taking the bits that fit around the roller off it too and see if it makes any difference.

If its non clutched you definatly put the belt guard back in right? Non clutched need them as they have a bigger belt than the clutched where it is on the motor. Without it there will be a rattling noise of the belt rubbing the motor housing. Otherwise it could be the belt catching on the brushroll housing, brushroll rattling or brushroll bearings if the sound goes away when the belts removed.
Collector and restorer of most vacuum cleaners including vintage, older style models and newer models. Seller of refurbished vacuums and vacuum parts Livin' every day, as if it were the last!

DC07 Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram