A few years ago, my Dad bought a Dyson DC26 City. After a few months, he declared it utter rubbish, and relegated it to a cupboard and bought a Miele S7 which he should have done in the first place...
When my stepbrother got his own shell of a house and they moved in, he acquired it. He then used it as a shopvac until it didnt suck up anymore, and they banished it to a cupboard.
When we went to visit them the other week, his girlfriend threw this at me and kindly asked if I would remove it from the premesis...
So, it's been about a bit then...
Was also looking a bit sorry for itself
Put it in the car and came home
A few days later, I had a closer look
Mmmmmm I wonder why that's doing that...
I doubt that will wash up... Lets have a look at the pre motor filter
That picture doesnt really highlight how shite the filter was
Ah, this one does
Crap all in the fan blades
Surely the cyclone can't be that bad?
Not even the hose escaped punishment
The cuff was so bad it wouldnt click on to anything
I identified that little problem straight away
The floor tool release valve was bunged up too
Of course, it needed saving, but (as we all know) there is NO information on the net about these. Spare parts are virtually non existant bar filters, so this was a bit of a dive into the unknown, with almost nothing to loose.
Almost... a fellow collector had expressed an interest with this, and a swap for a lovely Hoover Turbopower Boost. Steve, please read this before deciding, it's not in quite as good condition as I said it was after 3 pints of stella4...
So, with almost nothing to loose, here we go!
Couldn't really do much with the floor tool, so it got washed whole
Hose end next
The top cap pops off
and doesnt come off any more! I tried almost to breaking point and it wouldnt budge out the other end
There was a screw
but removing it free'd up nothing so back in it went and the whole thing got washed whole
The hose is a bit deformed along it's length, has been walked over alot. It also doesnt come off easily...
Remove these three TINY screws
and the holder seperates and can be removed. The hose then pulls out of the machine
Tools end is battered
red cap removed again
Onto the machine itself now
The housing pops off the pivot points
The inner holding ring is VERY difficult to get off, sounded like it was seriously breaking but didnt. Wheel then falls off
Filter release catch removed
Other wheel now
Was only a little bit dirty
Sadly, whilst untwisting the caps, one snapped
I swore a bit then carried on
Undo the screws holding the cord rewind cover on
I did the following in completely the wrong order as it turns out. What seems the correct way is:
Undo the screw
carefully withdraw the whole unit (cord wound up, so the springs not as tensioned)
leave it the f
Mine wouldnt budge, layers of crud had stuck it all together, so I approached it slightly differently
I unwound the cable (mistake n.1), and prised the locking tabs off to remove this
I then lifted the springs out, and they nearly took my head off
Amazingly, they seemed to wind up ok
The clear plastic cap holds the rewind to the machine, so with that off the reel lifts out
it runs on these contact rings like a Numatic reel does
Happy 5th Birthday Dyson...In need of a full rebuild already...
This cap prises off and reveals the cord connections
which simply unplugs
One layer out
5 even TINIER screws and the cord reel back lifts out
and unplugs from the machine
The contact rings pop off the reel back
Moving onto the switch housing now. The cyclone release lever snaps out of the housing
The floor tool parking slot unscrews and snaps out of the housing
The buttons pop out from either corner
Sorry for the rubbish pics, the camera wouldnt focus...
Same for the cord rewind button
With a rather significant amount of prising and levering the housing pops up and can be removed
The switch pulls off the housing now
and the wires removed.
The switch - cord rewind can be removed completely
Back to the front of the machine now, and one screw on the top and one underneath release the hose input
This was so covered in plaster dust the flash bounced back
The next bit is very tricky. There are no screws holding the motor housing in, just large clips. So, 2 screwdrivers and some swearing, and it popped out with a large crack, and no damage luckily. There is a rubber tube leading to the post filter area too, which needs to be poked through as it goes.
The top cover came off as well, although the clips holding it on hold the motor into the housing so they unclipped on removal
There was a metal plate on the side of the housing
Ah, a comically large (for the size of the machine) PCB
The 2 motor wires disconnect from this board
The motor can be removed from the housing now
It's a panasonic
Fancase taps off
and a nut releases the fan and 2 washers
Another washer sits under the fan
2 screws seperate the bottom fan from the motor
and that's it! The motor doesnt come apart anymore!
Bit emptier now
There's a screw under the front to go
and the vent and very tip peice are removed
Onto the cyclone next
That's not flash glare...
Cyclone bottom flap comes off as per usual, and the outer seal pulls away
as does an inner seal
The top handle pops forward and off
Release rod pops out the top
4 screws enable the top cover to be removed
Another one holds the inner cap on
The inner seal sits below this
Now the inner cyclone was very interesting
Damn flash flare, I'm so sorry!
They all popped out, as did the middle 3 cones
The shroud and bottom cone seperated from the upper cyclones as they all do
And, she was stripped down!