The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: DC05 Extension tube - broken hose end  (Read 12541 times)

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
DC05 Extension tube - broken hose end
« on: March 16, 2015, 01:47:16 pm »
Hi

Just picked up a supposedly  :dead-dyson: DC05 Absolute+. Not got round to working out why its dead yet as it's in the boot of my car and I'm at work but...

the catch that holds the hose onto the extension tube is broken, the plastic assembly has come away from the wand, rendering it useless. Any common fixes for this (will a good clean up and re-seat get it back in?), or is the part available to fit onto my tube, either new or used?
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Madrat

Re: DC05 Extension tube - broken hose end
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 03:08:31 pm »
Do you mean the catch on the "banana" or the double ended catch on the hose?

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 03:15:38 pm »
Its on the poles,  the bit the banana clips too.  Currently the plastic part is clipped to the banana,  not the wand (as I found out when I dropped the wand on the lady's floor.  Thanks for telling me love,  good job it was only £5.63...)
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Madrat

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 03:19:16 pm »
"Goes off to look at DC05"  addled brain cant remember what it looks like  :boggleeye:

Be right back.

Offline Madrat

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 03:27:09 pm »
OK at the banana end the clip is attached to the banana by 2 lugs and there is a spring under it.  At the tool end of the pole the clip is attached to the pole the same way.  If your clip on the banana is not holding onto the pole ether the end has worn or broken or perhaps the spring has gone.  I don't think you can remove them without braking the lugs.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 03:32:10 pm »
Yes I can see the mouldings on the end of the pole. May have to crack out the dc05 wand from the dc05 that was left in the house when we moved in that's not officially on the inventory

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 03:42:39 pm »
No,  deffo need a wand.  I'll elaborate later!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 03:44:14 pm »
On mine both plastic parts are still clipped together on the banana,  with old sellotape everywhere. The plastic part fell off the wand

Offline Madrat

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 03:55:03 pm »
You need to post a picture

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 07:40:35 pm »

Basically!

However, I quickly had a look at the deadness...

Ah

snippy snip, choppy choppy and new plug. Works beautifully!

Does need a new cable though, I ordered 10m white 75 something flat cable to sort that. Works enough to test though

Can use Madrats ace guide to sort that later

The upholstry tool is strange though, its not faded, is it from a dc07 clic?

Floor tool has a metal soleplate too! Does this mean anything more than its probably an early one. Does feel nicer to use than its plastic backed sucessor

The collar that should sit on the wand had a nice clean split through it, which seems to have glued up nicely, although I keep wanting to try it, but know the glue wont have set fully yet and I'll only piss myself off if I try, it cracks again, wont re-glue properly and as neatly again etc so that can wait until tomorrow. The catch where it clicks onto the tab on the wand is intact. We shall see!

Offline Madrat

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 07:57:16 pm »
Ah it all makes scene now  :thumbsup:

Talking about glue.  I can recommend gorilla glue, but not for all situations, Its incredibly strong but it dose foam up when setting, very useful at time, disastrous at others.  I used it to stick the bottom on a DC01, it had broken all but 1 of the screw lugs, and its worked really well.. Just hope nothing ever goes wrong with the motor as it's never coming apart again.  You know when the bottom drops out of your draws ?   :o  oh matron...  :chuckle: well this stuff is fantastic for that.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 11:01:42 pm »
Fixed!

Stays on like a champ, although the whole joint is loose, between the banana and it especially!

Hey ho

Offline Madrat

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 01:36:00 pm »
They always are loose.

The fitting on the Motorhead and later DC08 is far better.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 12:56:27 pm »
Well I used this last night,  and apart from the complete absence of suction and airflow, it worked well

Right up to the point about 3 minutes in where the end bit of the wand cracked again. Mmmm, may have to cheekily swap the wand for the one I have in the loft that belongs to the DC05 that was left in the house when we moved in...

Offline Madrat

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 04:21:36 pm »
Suction on an 05 is normally good.

Dyson Cylinder Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter