The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: New belt wobbling  (Read 13074 times)

Offline Croftie

New belt wobbling
« on: April 25, 2015, 06:15:29 pm »
Hi,

Three weeks ago I got a burning smell from the DC04 and noticed the belt was well worn, so replaced it and also the soleplate because the belt had worn a notch in it almost all the way through the side.

Today, same burning smell is back, belt is fine, so I turned it on with the soleplate off and can see the belt moving from side to side on the roller and the soleplate has fresh rubber residue on it.

Any idea what is the cause of this, the motor spindle isn't bent and is at a right angle to the motor casing. Only thing I can think of is the brush housing is worn but IDK I'm stumped.

Thanks,
Darren

Offline Madrat

Re: New belt wobbling
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 07:31:29 am »
do you mean roller on motor or roller on brush bar?

Offline Croftie

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 02:20:33 pm »
brush bar

Offline Madrat

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 03:34:58 pm »
The brush bar is worn, you need to replace it.

Offline Croftie

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 05:56:19 pm »
hmm it's only 3 weeks old, replaced it at the same time as the belt. Genuine dyson one aswell.

Offline Madrat

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 06:18:38 pm »
That is strange, where the belt fits onto brush bar, what dost the profile look like? Any chance of some pictures.

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 09:40:25 pm »
Make sure the brush housing is in place properly. Also, is your refurbished? Some may not have the metal thing for non clutched models on the motor top

Offline Croftie

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 12:01:37 am »
Ok here's a pic and vid. Not sure what the tapping sound is you can hear when it spins down.

http://i.imgbox.com/ZJRUsNMd.jpg
http://www.filefactory.com/file/4mk0x8glcj4h/dyson.mp4

Everything is in place and together correctly, not a refurb and the metal thing is there.

So, went to get a video of the belt wobbleing and it wasn't doing it, then a new issue, motors dead. Electrical smell and popping sound coming from it. Got a spare though so have swapped it out.

After putting it back together the belt was wobbleing again, so got the cammera but now it's not doing it! Pivoted the brush head back and forth and then it started doing it. So it's intermittent.

Is it just because the belts new and when it wears in it'll stay put?

Offline macman

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 10:05:06 am »
I'd agree with your original diagnosis of a worn brushroll housing.
With non-obvious faults like this, sometime all you can do is swap out the parts in turn-and the housing is really the only suspect left. It'll only cost you a fiver to find out with a recycled one. I would have said a bent motor shaft, but you've already changed it.

Offline Croftie

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 06:34:22 pm »
I think your right, will get a brush housing, it could do with one anyway. The only other thing I just thought of is if the belt is faulty, got a spare so might swap it. Thanks for your help everyone.

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 06:56:27 pm »
Wait! :P Is there a thin metal pin on the green housing? Is it missing?

Offline Croftie

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 07:42:04 pm »
Pin is there, good thinking though. What is that pin for, is it to disperse static? I wonder if because the brush bar mount on the brush housing is worn, the brush roller is sitting closer to the housing and the bristles are rubbing on the housing causing loads of extra static. IDK maybe I'm overthinking. Will get a housing anyway and see what happens.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 08:39:35 pm »
Are there rubber particles splattered everywhere? Has the belt been flapping about and catching on everything?
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 09:27:03 pm »
I don't think its for static, but Dysons models with a clutch have that metal pin closer to the motor spindle. I presume it is to prevent the belt from rubbing against the plastic
BTW I have thought or something new! The cleaner head pivots on two axis. on each side there should be a clip. check to see if the cleaner head doesn't wobble on both sides ;D

Offline Croftie

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2015, 11:21:42 pm »
beko, there is some on the part of the soleplate that slots in at the side of the motor spindle. This is a new soleplate, the old one had a groove worn in it in the same place, I had presumed that was because the old belt was well worn but that can't be the case because it seems to be happening again with a new belt.

Parwaz7862, If that's the case I'm supprised there isn't one on the other side aswell. Don't think there is any play in the cleaner head mount points but I'll double check tomorrow.

DC04 Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram