The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: How to make a Dyson bin clear  (Read 14531 times)

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
How to make a Dyson bin clear
« on: May 14, 2015, 06:24:09 pm »
Hi
We have had so much building work in our house since July 2014 and still have some more to do. All we had was Dyson's and no Henry, so the Dysons had to cope with a lot of rubbish like tons of plaster and whatnot. I have killed a DC05, DC24, DC14 Origin and a DC04 with 2 motors in 6 months throughout this period.

My DC14 Animal as lovely, had no problems with it really and happily sucked up the plaster dust and all that. The bin, however got really scratched. It looked so scratched that it was almost impossible to see the dirt unless you look at it closely from a certain angle.

I tried many things. A good wash and WD40 with lots of tissue, furniture polish, hand polish etc etc. The only thing that worked was a drill and a microfibre cloth. I had to apply lots of pressure and  it took ages just to get a little part of the bin clear. I then thought "forget this Im just gonna put some spray on it."

As I has washed the bin with hot spapy water as well as the cyclone I was going to spray the bin with some polish which never worked but was alright, till I saw my bottle of Lynx hair spray in the corner of my eye. I thought "ooh, why not? it dries too and leave my hair shiny and is designed to be strong" so I sprayed it in the bin and got some tissue and hand polished it all round the inside and WOW. The bin was quite dry and not sticky. It was also clear! YES!!!
I then had another bright idea...

I have another hairspray, V05 type and tried it on my DC25 this time. The bins on those get very sandblasted. I sprayed, hand polished and it looks lovely!!!

Both my Dyson DC14 Animal and DC25 look like they have had bins which have been used like twice now :) It worked well for me and I am pleased with the results so I thought I would share this with someone who has a similar problem like I did.
Good luck :)  ;D

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: How to make a Dyson bin clear
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 10:20:32 pm »
Be interesting to see if they get dirtier quicker in use. I suppose the hair spray contains lots of shiny stuff to make hair shiny, would fill in all the damage on a bin.

Amy's got a can of elnett somewhere...
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 10:36:10 pm »
I used my DC14 Animal a good handful of times since the hairspray thing and it's doing so well :) I haven't noticed a change in clearness so far but I imagine it will get cloudy in the future

Offline Madrat

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 01:06:22 pm »
 :underchair:

Don't use her elnett  :o

Offline Elgin

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 09:44:47 pm »
I used my DC14 Animal a good handful of times since the hairspray thing and it's doing so well :) I haven't noticed a change in clearness so far but I imagine it will get cloudy in the future
Ooh, Will have to try this on my DC14 Animal, tried everything i could possibly see in the bathroom.. except hairspray. Mine is like  Cloudy... Really Cloudy, cant see the dirt at all, let alone that silver cyclone, its just well CLOUDY.
Alhough Hair gel worked OK I can now see the cyclone, but not exactly that clearly

Offline GeorgeJ

• English? I'm never going to England!
    • Some dirty pics ;)
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 04:21:25 pm »
Ooh, Will have to try this on my DC14 Animal, tried everything i could possibly see in the bathroom.. except hairspray. Mine is like  Cloudy... Really Cloudy, cant see the dirt at all, let alone that silver cyclone, its just well CLOUDY.
Alhough Hair gel worked OK I can now see the cyclone, but not exactly that clearly
Try KY lube. 

Try not to get carried away there, champ.
You miss 100% of the Dysons you don't buy.  -Wayne Gretzky
 -Michael Scott  -GeorgeJ

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 04:48:01 pm »
:))

Offline Halcyon

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 03:52:03 pm »
I used this as apparently was supposed to be good.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Vuplex-Plastic-Cleaner-Anti-static-Vehicle-Home-Polish-235ml-Spray-200g/1205531315?iid=263555152705&chn=ps

Can barely see the difference also on the packaging it says to use cotton cloth if it's been used and Ive used microfibre. Do you think that it could really have some influence?

Before and after

Offline ryevac

• Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 05:55:09 pm »
I was informed that using a blow torch (carefully) can bring them back but never tried it myself.

This type of polishing is similar to car headlamp fogging problems, i never had much success tbh.
I now on a refurb deep wash the bin as usual, but when photographing, beforehand spray and polish inside of the bin with silicone spray - which i purchase from automotive stockists, used for glass rubber channels.
The only way to fail is not to try.

Offline Dysonboy

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 02:33:30 am »
Ive heard the blowtorch one about for a while - and I can see why it may work if your careful.
I used my soldering station electronics re-work blower thingy (soldering blower) on the bins set to max heat and speed. (This is on a 30 quid soldering station thats on eBay- pretty good tbh. Search ebay for '998D soldering station' and its the 30 quid odd one that comes up! Not bad for the price at all! really good)

It did make the bins clear in the areas I blasted with the hot air, although took a while and if you wernt careful it left micro-cracks in the plastic - those that don't affect it apart from the look.

Ive used other things like hair spray in the past- even car cleaning polish!

I did wonder about something like T-Cut? As when your car headlamps fade/go yellow with the micro-scratches that does indeed get them looking new again. -We have a 2007 Ford Galaxy which one headlamp was yellowed, and T-Cut did indeed make it look near new to match the other headlamp!

I think its a matter of trying out different methods and seeing what works best for you.

I think the blowtorch/heat will be the longer lasting because it will kinda melt the plastic enough to fill the micro-scratches, that sprays, polishes and other compounds would fill in, but only for a small length of time.
Collector and restorer of most vacuum cleaners including vintage, older style models and newer models. Seller of refurbished vacuums and vacuum parts Livin' every day, as if it were the last!

Offline ryevac

• Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 10:35:04 am »
Agreed on all points, i may have a practice on an old dco7 bin (using my blowtorch).

As for my headlights on the astra estate, i am just going to replace them after the next method of fine paper and lacquer - i think mine are too far gone !
The only way to fail is not to try.

Offline Dysonboy

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 03:35:15 pm »
Agreed on all points, i may have a practice on an old dco7 bin (using my blowtorch).

As for my headlights on the astra estate, i am just going to replace them after the next method of fine paper and lacquer - i think mine are too far gone !
Tbh I thought that on our Galaxy but they came up pretty well bearing in mind they were yellow, which really didn't look right on a red/orange metallic car. They cleared up pretty well tbh
Collector and restorer of most vacuum cleaners including vintage, older style models and newer models. Seller of refurbished vacuums and vacuum parts Livin' every day, as if it were the last!

Dyson Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration