The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Miele S5510 - Restoration (repair) and refurb!  (Read 19443 times)

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Miele S5510 - Restoration (repair) and refurb!
« on: May 31, 2015, 11:04:03 pm »
I run Miele cylinders as my daily driver! They are brilliant.

For the past 3 years I've had a Miele S5210, the boggo black model, which came from freecycle with the same issue this one had. However, (about 3 months ago now), this came up on ebay, and I won it for £9.99

The second from top of the line Miele S5510 Revolution Automatic 5000!

Was looking a bit sorry for itself. The optional extra extending hose was scrap

Which may have helped put people off as they presumed it was part of the main hose so the whole hose had to be replaced!

One of the adjuster buttons on the TRI scopic wand was missing too. Could push the bar down easily though to adjust

"The bag holder broke and we used it bagless for a bit"...  :censored:

Floor tool was a bit peaky

Missing dustong brush

The above pictures were at mums when I got back. I then went back to work (was lunchtime), came home and fired her up...

Not a valid youtube URL
Ah! Same noise my old S5210 would have made before it overheated and blew its TOC apart...

Let's have a look then

Hello!

Shit everywhere. This would have been north of £300 new, although judging by the house I collected it from that's like me loosing 20p...

Bearings were crap too

both full of what looked like sugar...

Handily*, Hoover Turbopower armature QknowWho bearings fit... And I have ALOT of those

But what really was the cause was the fan being jam packed full of fluff! Didnt take any pictures of the unpicking, but 20 minutes later the fans were clear, I lobbed the lot back together and had another crack...

Better, but still the wrong noise. So I stripped it down again, and took the fan to the kitchen (This was the first fan I did with your method Steve Cook!)

(made a brew whilst I was there too...)

30 minutes later I rinsed it, repeated the dunking in fresh water, rinsed again, dried it out, put it back together and.....

Game on!

Grabbed my S5210 for a photoshoot

I had a spare, battered dusting brush in the shed, so got that out, gave it a brief vac out, fitted the bag holder, bag and didnt bother with the filters from the S5210, and used it!

The triscopic wand is a bit heavier than the normal 2 part ones, but very handy when in full extension

Eva approved

I found a new button assembly for the wand at a very good price

Popped the cover off

And fitted!

The floortool really didnt like changing from carpet to hard floor, so I had a look at that, having never seen thsi style of floortool before

Had to hammer a larger torx driver into one of the screws

As usual then

Whilst doing this, I noticed a cover under the hose connector

A powerhead connector!

Didnt have this plug either on the boggo one, just a blanking plate

Anyway, back onto the floor tool. All vacced out and wiped over, I commenced re-assembly

It just ratchets round when the button is pressed

Little pad sits ontop of the actuating arm

All back together...

and it didnt switch at all. Had it apart again, and got it working a bit better but still bad. Autovac pointed out that they are a bas :censored:ard to strip and re-assemble, and I agree with her. Still, it would change, and I had other things on so left it be.

This working well, I refurbed the S5210 after 3 years of daily use (mainly vaccing up after I've stripped something down in the front room...)

Took a random picture of it and my Hoover Turbopower Boost U2718 for reasons I cant remember now

and she went back into daily use again, no longer blowing out dust but smelling a bit.

A fellow collector was selling parquet floorheads for £cheap so I bagged one! It is brilliant for the laminate, which is all there is downstairs. Is the one that's always fitted now, the below sitting next to it for when needed

I also stole this unused floor head for £7 with £3 postage!

which is still a bit stiff to change modes but does work very well, and I do prefer it to the other style the S5 came with!

The S5210 sold for £102 once refurbished, replacement bag door fitted, a run over with the machine polisher and a brand new service box bought for the sale, which paid for the S5510 and boosted our holiday fund no end!

And cracked on with life! Amy kept complaining that it stunk (wummin eh  :grinn:), so I tried not to use it much, which was fairly easy. However, Friday night, I decided it deserved it's time to shine once more...
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: Miele S5510 - Restoration (repair) and refurb!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 11:53:20 pm »
Thought I'd split this, above for backstory and excuses for not doing this sooner, this thread for the normal style refurbishment!

I'd put the hose through the wash previously when I had a load, and the floortool is new, and I'm not bloody taking it apart as it works, and the poles are clean, so I didn't bother with those, just the main machine

This bag came from the S5210, and it was half full then, was bricked when I removed it... :underchair:

Bottom filter came out of it after a vac, top filter I cut from a bojack filter I had for a Miele S7 (Bought cheap S7 bags for Hoover Uprights...)

Will wash and re-use those for now

Tool cover popped

Removed, and the front trim peice removed too

Small tools out

Dusting brush came from somewhere years ago, and was full of fluff

Upholstry tool broken down

Spring that pops the hood removed

Exhaust diffuser removed

and with 2 popped tabs the bag door top comes away from the machine

I removed the screws from the hose holder, and this connecting pipe came off

The bag fill piston indicator is actually the one from the S5210, I swapped it as it was broken, and I wanted the S5210 to be perfect... Doesn't really bother me as once fitted its held together with the housing anyway!

Powerhead connector cover removed

Under the hose connector housing are bits I;ve not seen before! One is the powerhead plug, the other is the sensor for the Automatic setting

Fill indicator/tool door popper removed

wiring tray and bits removed

The white bit is the sensor. In Automatic mode, it's supposed to sense how much airflow is needed and adjust to suit

This is nothing new, Hoover had it on their top of the line Turbopower 2 Autosense cleaners, and I;ve heard it's pretty good.

It doesnt really work on this, just ramps the motor up to full power until you restrict the airflow when it went right down. I blew a load of fluff out of the connecting pipe so maybe that will help... I blasted the sensor out with switch cleaner too

Bag top wiring fully removed

Removed the wiring from the tray

Took the wires out of the powerhead plug

On the other end, the pins are held in place with these 2 pegs, which took bloody ages to find

Once removed, the wires just pull out

Lid release mechanism removed

This is the bag holder from the S5210, which is broken. I bought a new one for the S5210, and just kept this one. If one is careful when fitting the bag it's fine, its when you pull it around it pings out and puts the bag on the piss. Will probably replace it at somepoint in a moment of boredom, but for now it stays too

The Active clean filter is from the S5210 as well, so I washed it with the machine

Ont othe rear. The on/off switch and rewing switch covers are also fro mthe S5210, I swapped them for the minty ones on this to, again, make it look tip top. The rewind button has a broken tab, but it works and doesn't bother me, I can switch it on and off with the end of the tube, which works for me...

The +- buttons pop out first (I had to do all this to fix the motor so know how it goes...)

their 2 springs

A new switch and rewind cover is £17 from Miele, maybe one day I'll grab some. The coating pells off easily tbh, seen lots looking scruffy

The cover that houses the LED display comes out next

6 screws later, the top housing comes out

The 2 pegs that hold the bag door lid on and hinges it comes out next

The 2 pads that hold the machine upright pop out

Next layer now

This peice seems to diffuse the light from the LED's

One of the resons I love Miele is everything is plug and play. The entire switch/pcb/wiring tray unplugs nad lifts out

Plug for bag door and the main input plug

This is a switch, so when you park the floor tool it pauses the machine!

The wiring and assorted stuff unpicks from the tray

Busy little circuit board

The LED guide lifts off

This is the park switch

This is the movement piece

Another layer done, another to do

3 screws and 2 clips at the front...

The pre filter cage slides out, a load of grit fell out from behind this bit

The release valve has never worked...

That'll be why then

This is the bag door seal

and this is the business end

Cord rewind unplugged and lifted out. I did nothing bar give it a brush down as these are £££££££££ :o£££ even second hand

Motor rubbers off

Motor sound deadening and motor compartment seal out

Underneath now

and the wheels come off and apart

These bits are the side parking slots. No switch on these though

And she was stripped and ready for washing

Non washables

Everything was washed, dried and then polished. Then laid out for a picture!

and re-assembled!

Wheels back on

smear of grease on the pivot spindles

smear of grease on the wheel axles

Side parking slots back in

motor and cord rewind in

Post motor filter housing slotted in

and the motor housing layer re-fitted

Release valve refitted

Cleaned up and refitted circuit board and switch tray fitted

LED Diffuser fitted

Post motor filter and cage fitted

switch covers and led cover fitted

Wired the bag lid back up

A new bag was fitted! Have one left after this, so will buy a new service box in ready and change the lot, thats why I just washed the filters tbh

The filters cleaned up fine anyway

bag compartment lid fitted

Small tools fitted (yes, the dusting brush has been chewed by a dog...)

tool door fitted, and job done!

She works just like new again now! No smell at all, suction is much sharper than before and the LED's shine brighter! The Auto setting works better too. VAcuuming carpet, it hovers at about the middle of the range, but as soon as you lift the head off it shoots up to full popwer, same with vacuuming laminate. Will rarely use that setting tbh!

Still, my new daily driver is nearly done. She does need a run over with the machine polisher, but that can be for another time. It's already been put to work, clearing up after a DC14 I stripped earlier, and it performed very well!

Hope you enjoyed it! I'm off to bed now...
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Tech12

• Electrical Appliance Engineer / Trainer.
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 08:18:43 pm »
Really nice write up :thumbsup: My eldest used to help me with repairs as well when she was younger, did her good. She just finished her time as an Electrical engineer.
Repairs to All makes of Small Commercial & Domestic appliance. Power tool repair.
City & Guilds and PAT qualified engineer.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 09:09:45 pm »
Thanks! Mine loves helping,  hopefully she still will when she grows up!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 09:11:33 pm »
I saw, the other day (it was pointed out to me in fact) that there was a nice Miele electric turbo nozzle on the bay for £30 or offer. Being skint at the moment, I left it in my watch list and carried on with life, checking it every day of course...

Today, a £20 cheque fell through the mat in a card from my Granny and Grandad (I'll say thanks here, as I'll link them to this - Thanks  :thumbsup:). A quick chat with Amy, I took the cheque to the bank, raided the car boot money pot and made an offer. £25 later, it was mine!

Off I pop, and she had asked me to bring my Miele with me to test it, as she couldn't as it didnt fit her Miele. Nae bother I thought, and gave the old girl a wipe over and a fresh bag as the old one was a bit smelly.

I arrive 12 miles later (forgot to mention it was local, so saved on the postage too). I get there, pop the cover off for the power socket and we say hello etc. She then looks at my miele, and goes off to get hers, blow me down if she hasnt got another identical model! She's foreign, and bought it and a smeg load of optional tools for £90 (bloody bargain), but didnt know what they all did, so is selling them. She didnt know there was a power socket, until I showed her. Was slightly worried halfway through that she would decide to keep it, but stayed good and carried on with the sale. I also put the crevice tool back in the right way for her so the bag door would shut, changed the bag and show her how the tools she had left worked. Poor machine was filthy and battered, it was worse than mine before I started.

Aaaanyway, here it is!

It is new! Works very well indeed, as the brushroll spins fast even with the machine on its lowest setting! Need to try and find a nice looking plug joiner, so I can split the cable at the end of the hose, as currently the whole thing needs to be removed to use any other floor head, or the small tools.

Still, it can stay set up for a while, got the Panasonic Icon for tool use

Offline Tech12

• Electrical Appliance Engineer / Trainer.
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 12:01:17 pm »
They do say that everything comes to he who waits :thumbsup:
Repairs to All makes of Small Commercial & Domestic appliance. Power tool repair.
City & Guilds and PAT qualified engineer.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 02:39:25 pm »
I've learnt that. If I forget I need something rare and normally expensive, usually it crops up cheap and local when I least expect it. I want a DC03 Clear wand. There's no point in goign crazy looking for one, one will crop up!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 09:45:36 am »
I modified this last night. When Amy went to Maplin for a new supressor for a Panasonic MC-E44, I had her collect these too

I did some careful measuring, and chopped my lovely turbohead cable in half...

Wired the plug ends up

And voila! The join is positioned so the end of the hose is cable free, the clips re-positioned to hold the plug in

I then posted the job up on facebook, and very quickly someone pointed out a flaw in the way I had done it. The turbohead is a full 240v, and I'd wired up the 'socket' end onto that run, so 2 very live pins were very exposed...

The ends were quickly swapped around

with the socket end safely on the turbohead wiring

and voila! I can now take the turbo head off to use the Parquet head without having to un-wire everything, just the short run to the turbo head. Yet to try it all out, but everywhere needs a good vacuum so I doubt it will be long!

Just need to look out for an electro hose now. There's one on ebay, which is £80 delivered from America, so I think I'll keep my £4.70 version for a while yet!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 10:35:44 am »
It works! Had to reposition some of the clips so the cable wasnt streched out when i pulled the hose but its a qhick job to take it off now!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 08:48:36 am »
Time for an update as I have some new tools for this!

I now have the standard floor tool (not pictured)
The Parquet head
Parquet Twist
Electro-Plus
Accu-Nova

The Parquet twist head is ace for the fiddly bits

Offline Storms

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 05:05:43 pm »
Handily*, Hoover Turbopower armature QknowWho bearings fit... And I have ALOT of those

just wanna know how you got the old bearing off. googling brought me here!

I have a miele and the ball bearing at the bottom end of the motor just disintegrated!  but I dont understand how to get the old one off.  The inner part of the ball bearing seems permanently attached to the rod. I've just ordered the new bearing so hopefully you can help before it arrives!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 07:12:25 pm »
Ouch,  thats done it properly!

A cheap ebay bearing puller is what I use! Cost me £9 delivered iirc.  That gets them off,  then to fit the new one involves a socket of just the right size and a hammer,  and being careful not to chew up the thread on the fan end!

Mines still going strong,  but smells slightly carbony on full 2200w power,  but Im not sure if thats the bearings fault or just what it did anyway,  still fine on any setting bar full,  although swmbo uses it on full and has been fine.

Hope this helps!

Sam

Offline Storms

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 10:34:50 pm »
Ouch,  thats done it properly!

A cheap ebay bearing puller is what I use! Cost me £9 delivered iirc.  That gets them off,  then to fit the new one involves a socket of just the right size and a hammer,  and being careful not to chew up the thread on the fan end!

Mines still going strong,  but smells slightly carbony on full 2200w power,  but Im not sure if thats the bearings fault or just what it did anyway,  still fine on any setting bar full,  although swmbo uses it on full and has been fine.

Hope this helps!

Sam

thanks... have orfered a bering puller off fleabay. will update you with the results

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 05:32:34 am »
Good good! Be sure to push the new bearing on to the same position though,  or the motor eill not fit together properly.  A line of permanent marker around the existing bearing,  then when you tap the new one on,  tap it just beyond the pen mark,  then pull it up and flush with the mark. Then,  as you reassemble the motor,  check it spins smoothly at every step,  and everytime you put something back and screw it down,  that way you wont whazz it all together thrn find it wont turn,  but have no idea at which point it went wrong!

Offline Storms

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 04:47:54 pm »
Good good! Be sure to push the new bearing on to the same position though,  or the motor eill not fit together properly.  A line of permanent marker around the existing bearing,  then when you tap the new one on,  tap it just beyond the pen mark,  then pull it up and flush with the mark. Then,  as you reassemble the motor,  check it spins smoothly at every step,  and everytime you put something back and screw it down,  that way you wont whazz it all together thrn find it wont turn,  but have no idea at which point it went wrong!

thanks for the good advice  :thumbsup:

it was making a dreadful noise... the ball bearing was the obvious problem as it just came apart as I dismantled the motor. Hopefully there are no other hidden problems, but whilst i have it open i may aswell give the motor a good clean (with electrical cleaner).

btw am very impressed with the repair and restoration work you've done. Good as new miele's for a fraction of the cost.

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram