The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: DC25 Sound/Dusty Smell  (Read 7379 times)

Offline russell450

• I LOVE MY DYSON!!
DC25 Sound/Dusty Smell
« on: June 20, 2015, 09:50:12 pm »
Hello,

This is my first post on this forum, so HEY GUYS!

Anyways, I have a problem with my Dyson DC25... it has a weird whistling sound and a rather dusty smell. I purchased this machine, brand-new from QVC US 7 months ago, so it still has a warranty, but the nearest Dyson Service Center is an hour away from me, so it is not the best option at the moment. Also, the nearest UPS Store is about 45 minutes away, so that is not much better, and with taking it to UPS, I would be without a vacuum cleaner for over a week, so I cannot even let UPS pick up my Dyson.

So, I was coming to this forum to see if maybe I could fix the problem myself, but I am thinking about taking it to Dyson because it is free and I have the warranty anyway for five years, so I might as well use it if it comes to that.

Below is a YouTube video that I made of this sound, just so people have a better understanding of the sound.

Edit: I must also add that the sound does not get worse as the machine is shutting off... it seems like it goes away once it is shutting off (much different from other machines that get worse as it shuts off).

Here is the YouTube video (sorry, recorded with iPad and I did not think about the orientation) Thanks!
Current Machine(s): Dyson DC25
Future Machine(s): Dyson DC50, DC65, V6 Absolute

Offline Madrat

Re: DC25 Sound/Dusty Smell
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 11:28:17 pm »
Hi and welcome.  :tiphat:

When did you last clean the filters?  To be honest it doesn't sound different to any other DC25.  When you pull the wand up dose the change over valve operate or is it sticking?

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 02:11:48 am »
If you put the crevice tool on and block the suction with your hand does the suction relief valve hiss or does the suction sound like its leaking from the changeover valve? My DC25 Animal did that, it was a 2011 model. Also, I suggest taking the wand and hose off the vacuum and see if it makes the noise. If the problem persists, then it's somewhere in the machine

Offline russell450

• I LOVE MY DYSON!!
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 07:06:27 am »
Hi and welcome.  :tiphat:

When did you last clean the filters?  To be honest it doesn't sound different to any other DC25.  When you pull the wand up dose the change over valve operate or is it sticking?

Thanks for welcoming me!

I cleaned the filters 4 months ago, and that's when the problem occurred. A day later, the problem went away. Then, approximately 3 months later, I checked the post motor filter and the problem started again and has been happening for a month and it has not gone away.  The change over valve operates just fine. The noise sounds different from when I first powered it on after opening it, brand new, out of its box. Oh, and the sound is more clear on hard floor than carpet, which makes sense because carpet would absorb the sound waves and it also appears from that observation that the noise is coming from the ball, and I suspect the post motor filter is not making a proper seal, which is a fault of the rubber gasket on the post motor filter or possibly the motor bucket.

If you put the crevice tool on and block the suction with your hand does the suction relief valve hiss or does the suction sound like its leaking from the changeover valve? My DC25 Animal did that, it was a 2011 model. Also, I suggest taking the wand and hose off the vacuum and see if it makes the noise. If the problem persists, then it's somewhere in the machine

The suction relief valve hisses. I will try to take the wand and hose off the machine tomorrow (house is in bed sleeping currently).

Thank you both for your responses!

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 12:48:49 pm »
You're welcome :)  ;D
PS I think it's the post motor filter seal (filter in the ball) as it is a very common issue that affected all DC25's. The seal would start howling especially whent he machine was turned off, and often when the machine was turned on and it would often continue aswell. Check that the seal is fitted firmly.

Offline Madrat

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 01:07:10 pm »
Most likely the post motor filter, try running a bit of silicone grease over the rubber and re fitting it.

Offline russell450

• I LOVE MY DYSON!!
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 05:06:04 pm »
You're welcome :)  ;D
PS I think it's the post motor filter seal (filter in the ball) as it is a very common issue that affected all DC25's. The seal would start howling especially whent he machine was turned off, and often when the machine was turned on and it would often continue aswell. Check that the seal is fitted firmly.
Most likely the post motor filter, try running a bit of silicone grease over the rubber and re fitting it.

That's what I thought until it happened on a brand new filter Dyson sent me (sorry for not including that). Where can I buy silicone grease and how do I know I am getting the right kind? I think I will try this.

Thank you.

Offline Madrat

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 06:21:59 pm »
It's just as likely to happen on a new filter as an old one. Try using a silicone based car spray, the sort usedon plastics. Or the sort used on computer processors, the clear stuff not the white or copper based.

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration