The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Hoover Galaxy SC228  (Read 15129 times)

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Hoover Galaxy SC228
« on: August 11, 2015, 08:42:20 am »
The Hoover Galaxy was a cylinder cleaner introduced in I think 1990, as part of the Dijon range of manchines, which included the Vogue, Aria, Compact and Sensotronics. All were of dubious build quality, and very few survive today.

So, when I had the chance to raid a bit of my savings and buy a down on its luck Galaxy, I didn't have to think much. I've wanted one since forever, but they always go for alot of money. I only know of a few in collectors hands.

It arrived yesterday

I hit the jackpot too as it's the variable speed model, which I have NEVER seen or heard of before

October 1993

Sadly, there are 2 bits of damage with this machine. The first is that 2 of these wheels are missing

Sure a replacement or 2 wont be too hard

The lid is see through

The second bit of damage is the clip that holds the bag door on has snapped off. It's still useable, but the hood falls off if you handle it incorrectly

It has a power takeoff socket, I've NEVER seen a power kit for these, although I imagine they shared it with many other cleaners of that era

So, some repairs to do, then hopefully a full stripdown and refurb can commence! Want to use it for a bit first though, need to find some other tubes for now, the 2 it comes with are comically short!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Tech12

• Electrical Appliance Engineer / Trainer.
Re: Hoover Galaxy SC228
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 09:03:19 am »
Do you have any broken office chairs in work ? The castors look like the type that used to be fitted to office furniture. Don't know if they still do them, but I'm pretty sure B & Q used to sell replacements.
Nice looking machine by the way.
Repairs to All makes of Small Commercial & Domestic appliance. Power tool repair.
City & Guilds and PAT qualified engineer.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 09:25:58 am »
We do,  but their all far too big.  Know what you mean though,  finding the right size ones shouldnt be too tricky
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 10:59:58 am »
I did a short video when I got it out of the box yesterday

It sounds quite good, although I've only heard one other galaxy ever, and it was probably in the same sort of state. Will see if bearings can be tickled at all. I'm hoping the dodgy speed control is sorted with a bit of a cleanup of the module. Is nice and powerful though, but the extension wands bend far too much for my liking!

Offline Madrat

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 01:04:45 pm »
Think they tried to re capture the constellation with that... FAIL  !!!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 01:40:00 pm »
I've heard so, and your right, it wouldnt get close! Interesting to see that the bags for this also fit the nu constellation/Maytag Sattelite too, didn't know that

Offline Tech12

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 02:43:50 pm »
The speed control pot should respond to a dose of switch cleaner ( not wd40). If you don't have any, Napkin do their own brand which is quite good. Just make sure you pick a tin that still has the straw attached, you'll be glad you did.
Repairs to All makes of Small Commercial & Domestic appliance. Power tool repair.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 02:46:09 pm »
That's exactly my thoughts, I've had Miele's with non responding dials fixed by a good squirt! Do need to get another tin of switch cleaner, but then I need to replace my rear calipers on the car so may just get a few big tins of brake cleaner and use that...

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 10:59:00 pm »
A few weeks ago, we bought a clothes rail thing from facebook for £3. Partly so we could use it at the car boot to hang hangy stuff from, and partly so I could see if the wheels could fit the Galaxy...

After some careful whittling down, they do!

The shanks are a bit too long, and they dont push fully home but work well, and transform the machine, since it actually wheels about now! Their the same size as the original ones too, so it doesnt rock about

The bag door comes off (very easily as the catch is broken and missing)

Bag comes out

The filter pulls off the cage. Both bag and filter went in the bin, I have new ones ready to go in

Cord rewind pedal pulls up and out, the spring coming with it

5 screws, and the 2 halves seperate

The electronics at the top plug in with a few spade terminals

A black diffuser sits inside

The post motor filter sits on the outside under a cover

The top handle is held on with a screw

and lifts out

The tool holder unscrews now with a small torx screw

This then enables the control panel cover to be lifted out

it's held in by the moulding of the tool holder

Techno!

Bit of trim around the bag full indicator

which then lifts out

It was full of fluff, and didnt work. So, I carefully broke it in a re-glueable way to get the piston and spring and fluff out

PCB lifts out

Speed control knob lifts out

I need to get some contact cleaner and give in here a good blast out, see if it cures the jittery running it has on the lowest speed. Sorry for my hand, my phone focused better with it there...

This little rubber sleeve sits on this little plastic tube

Top half emptied, it's time to move onto the bottom half

The bag chamber baffle lifts out

The connectors to the pcb

The motor

It sits on 3 rubber bungs ontop of the fan casing. One of which doesnt fit and was sat ontop, and fell out, so hopefully it becomes obvious how it goes...

Reference shot,

red wire diagonally opposite

Carbon holders marked. This is the same motor as in a Hoover Compact, and I;ve known those to be finicky about being taken apart, so everything goes back the way it was...

Carbons are in good condition, and were again marked for orientation

Top fancase tapped off

little bit of rust

top fan off

thats very dirty...

second fan casing tapped off

the 2 parts are melted together so I left them well alone and washed them whole

had an ouchie

only realised when I saw blood on parts..

second fan out

equally filthy

lets see whats under this top cover

jesus thats very dirty...

the carbon holders are held in with a screw each

and the brass holders pull out from the plastic holders

the coil falls off the armature

I scraped the top bearing housing cleaner

The armature taps out of the fan bearing and top of the fancase assembly thing

This bearing is  :dead-dyson:. It was hard to turn, and I used the galaxy for a good 20 mins before doing this, it took me an hour to get to this bit and it was still warm...

check I've got a shiney new replacement...

The comm is quite clean. I've had issues with a sparky compact motor before after polishing it up, so left it alone... the machine is too rare to be breaking it now...

Motor apart, it was back to the bodywork. This bit of trim sits above the cable exit, and pops off the housing

several big tabs hold the cord reel assembly into the machine

Again, being so unobtanium, and workign so damn well, it's really fast and sharp, I dusted it off with a soft brush and left it be!

Wheels off

Floortool now. Sadly it's a bit rusty, but then they all do that sir!

Sadly I caught the edge of the bed with the floortool and split the moulded end, so the pivot point was easy to remove. Decided to take advantage of it now and glue it up on reassembly

Everything was washed and dried

and I attacked the body with the rotary and various polishes and pads

was a total bastard to hold steady whilst i polished though. Lick of wax made it even better!

So far, that's it. Needs to go back together tomorrow, and the bottom part needs polishing too... Going well so far though!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 11:00:08 pm »
The speed control pot should respond to a dose of switch cleaner ( not wd40). If you don't have any, Napkin do their own brand which is quite good. Just make sure you pick a tin that still has the straw attached, you'll be glad you did.

As I wrote the massive reply above I realised I didnt have any, and asked Amy to get me some tomorrow morning when she goes shopping! Glad you confirmed it would probably be worth it (it should be, I need to do it to my dash lights rocker too, it sticks alot!)

Offline Tech12

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 07:52:20 am »
Hi Sam: In the picture of the PCB with your hand steadying it, is that a nicely charred resistor just below your hand ?.

Just realised, the word Napkin in my earlier reply. Should have read Maplin, I hate predictive text.

Excellent job on the cleaner by the way, looks really good.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 09:52:19 am »
Cheere.  Just machined the base,  and reassembly will commence soon.

Amy has switch/contact cleaner on her list and has departed,  lets all place bets on what she actually returns with...

Offline Tech12

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2015, 11:58:00 am »
WD40 ;),  No seriously is there anywhere open on bank holiday ?.

Believe it or not, we just went to go to a bank holiday boot sale. Unfortunately it's closed for the bank  holiday.  :boggleeye:

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2015, 12:14:11 pm »
I think she went to wickes,  apparently she bought a big can of it...

All the boot sales around here got rained off,  its a horrible day! Ive just put the galaxy back together,  about to film an after video. 

Cant complain about the rain as ive bought a panasonic icon,  a sanyo anna and an electrolux  612 for the grand total of £5 all in!

Offline Tech12

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2015, 01:24:15 pm »
You jammy bugger ;). Let's hope it was switch cleaner your missus got & the sales person didn't sell her DWF or something.

Years ago we used to have to open controls to clean them, could be a bloody nightmare ::)

Know what you mean about rain, had it all day Saturday & Sunday. Today's OK so far, it's nice & warm.

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram