Dyson Models > Cylinder & Canister Dysons

How To Strip Down a Dyson DC54 Cinetic Ball To Replace the Motor.

(1/5) > >>

The DC54 is one of the newer 'Cinetic' machines that has no washable pre-filter.

The are broadly similar to many other 'ball' models of cylinder such as the DC28c, DC33c, DC37, DC38, DC39, DC46, DC47, DC48, DC49, DC52 and DC53. Cyclones can differ between models; most of the others have a washable pre-filter, but generally speaking, they are quite similar machines and share many parts. So this guide will be useful for people seeking to take one of the other models mentioned apart too.

If you don't have the correct Torx screwdrivers to do this, we have them >>here<<

So lets make a start. Off with the cyclone.......

The ball shells come off with a torx screw each side.

Like so.

Then the little steering mechanism jobby needs to be unscrewed.

As there are many screws, all differing lengths and sizes, the eagle-eyed will see we put them back in the captive hole to save confusion later on.

Now there are quite a few screws to get the main body apart. And they go in in both directions, so have a good look. The DC39 strip down topic can be referred to for more detail here, as they are the same in this regard.

So the casing comes off here and we can see the motor bucket and the post motor filter.

The motor bucket pops out of the post motor filter like so.

And the top is released with three clips. Observe the three rubber blocks, they just pop out and line up with slots in the motor bucket on reassembly.

And out comes the motor. This one is covered in plaster dust, which is the reason it failed (Dysons don't like plaster dust).

And a closer look tells us it is a YDK YV-16K24FB.

Now the motor in a DC39 and other similar looking cylinders is labelled YV-16K24FA. There is no difference between the two. If you need one, >>we sell them here<< and have it in stock.

The post motor filter is clogged up with plaster dust too, so we need to strip it down some more. More screws.......

And this clip must be released on each side for the cable rewind and post motor filter to come out.

You must lever the housing around the clip rather than hoping to push the clip in. There is a knack to this.

Then it comes apart like so.

At which point the filter can be separated with a twist.

And here we see the wisdom of Dyson designing a machine with no pre-motor filter.  :-\

Yup. All the crud that didn't stay in the cyclone as intended, passed through the motor, clogged the post motor filter, made the motor labour as it was unable to breathe, and so it burned out.

Re-assembly, as they say, is a reverse sequence of strip down, so not a terribly hard machine to get into. Just a few bits here and there you will struggle with figuring out how they come apart until you have done it, and then you say to yourself, "Oh, like that"  :icon_nod:

As this one was clogged with plaster, we replaced the post motor filter. But it is always good practice to do so anyway. You want >>this one<<. Don't try to separate the filter from the plastic housing - it will break. You can wash them if you use a pressure washer are are careful, but they don't recommend it, and for what they cost, don't be a tightwad; just get a new one. 

Again, as this machine had had plaster through it, we need to take a look at the cyclone and wash it.

The outer shroud (the bit with the thin netting) of the cyclone comes off via the clips, and is peeled off like taking a tyre off a bicycle.

To strip the cyclone completely involves lots of screws inside and out, and one reason we chose not to do so was this.

You will see where the gasket between the layers is just starting to break up. Take that apart and you will need new gaskets. And nobody sells them. So you will end up with a leaky cyclone on re-assembly. So we pressure washed it and left it to dry.

After first washing, I thought some might want to have a look at these little oscillating cones Dyson talk about. They are made of rubber.

There are several layers of them going on in there. They say they don't block up, and to be fair, there were no visible blockages. Just dust prior to washing.

The cyclone cleaned up OK with the pressure washer. I see little reason to strip one of these cyclones down unless you really want to.

And that's about the size of it.  :thumbsup:

Nice to see inside of one,  and what youve discovered doesnt surprise me at all! Plaster dust kills filtered dysons,  let alone non filtered ones.

I reckon we will see alot more of this in a few years. Show the pics to the dyson rep when they next come sniffing around!


[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version