The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Can anyone advise on how to remove the fan cover from a DC08 Motor  (Read 4340 times)

Offline PL

I have a replacement DC08 motor (as supplied by ManchesterVacs) which has failed after 9 months.
One of the motor wires that is connected to the TOC terminal has broken away.
I need to remove the fan cover to get at it to resolder but having removed the four screws I can't separate the fan cover from the motor.  It feels loose but nothing I've tried (twisting/pulling) has worked.  Does anybody know how to remove it.

Offline __russ__

• Dyson Repairs Essex
Re: Can anyone advise on how to remove the fan cover from a DC08 Motor
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 08:08:52 am »
Can you show a photo of your actual motor so we can see where the wire has come away - I can't see why you'd need to remove the cover to resolder?

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 10:57:02 am »
You get your favourite hammer and tap firmly around the lip of the fan cover. It should then fall off and clatter loudly onto the surface of whatever your working on. Then, find a suitable socket and ratchet, hold the fan with one hand (under a cloth to stop you getting cut) and crack the nut off. Undo it, and, making sure to remember where the washers go, remove the fan and spacer washers. Fan off, you will see a plastic airflow channel bit. 2 screws iirc then that lifts off, then some more screws should be visible, which takes the top of the motor housing off, but it will be held on by the bearing, so youll need to either get a puller or tap gently all around it lots of times until it gives in and slips off. Take the carbon holders off and the armature should pull out/tap the other end with something blunt to pop the other bearing out of the casing.

Should give you enough access!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline PL

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 10:48:47 pm »
I wanted to remove as much as possible to give myself some light/working space and avoid damaging anything else.
Looking at it again you're right it doesn't have to be removed but it is really difficult to see where it was actually connected

ila_rendered

Dyson Cylinder Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration