The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Samsung SU3350 - Stripdown and Refurb  (Read 11862 times)

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Samsung SU3350 - Stripdown and Refurb
« on: August 27, 2015, 10:49:29 pm »
I took this in part exchange for something a while ago, took £5 off which they were happy with.

I was quite happy with this, until 2 days later I saw some broken ness

Buggar

The middle wheel holder was broken too

I put it in the shed, ready for the next tip run, however 2 weeks later, we did a car boot, and I chucked it in the car in the hope I got my fiver back. It didnt sell..

However, when everyone was packing up, I had a wander round again, and with a one in a million change spotted an identical black one!

for 50p, as the seller said he didnt think it worked! Score I thought

So, lets have a better look at this horrible plastivac

The red one had a broken bin flap

A cracked hose end

Knackered cable

The black one was more battered body wise than the red one

The black one was an SU3364

with an in tact bin flap!

and a better cable.

black one is missing a cord hook but has the dusting/upholstry tool which the red one didnt

So, lets start the stripdown, and save a machine that doesnt really deserve to be saved!

I'd put the filters and hose through the wash in a previous load, so they didnt need touching

The post filter sits behind a cover

Crevice tool and extension wand come out

missing tool procured from the black one

Was a bit peaky

Hose off and to one side

The hose from the black machine is undamaged so I pinched that

Identical, but different shades

The top handle came off easily as the screws were already loose

top cord hook comes out

Onto the base now

baseplate comes off eventually, being stuck on with crap

Brushroll wasnt too bad

However, the end caps didnt twist off, or prise off very well

Came off easily with some help though

The other end had the bearing in a removeable holder rather than being fitted straight into the brushroll

Some gentle tapping from behind with the axle and a hammer got them out

The other end has the bearing straight in the brushroll end

The bearing taps out of the white holder

Belt was good, despite it being sat for a while and distorting

Two plastic blocks either side hold the chassis to the brushroll housing

The internal hose is held in by this plastic block

once released they can be fully split

The middle wheel snaps out

Ah yes, the break...

back with the black one, and a quick fiddle later...

The height adjuster rotates to a keyed point then falls out without the middle wheel assembly holding it in

Release pedal snaps out of the lower chassis

lower chassis is empty

Back onto the main machine now, and the internal hose prises off the little holder bit eventually

Some screws later and the motor housing comes apart

I noticed at this point that all the parts were labelled

The motor was clean, which was nice

armature is clean too

The main chassis splits in half

The cyclone-hose seal comes out of the chassis

The lower cord hook is removeable now

Wiring next

The light was fading by this point, so the pictures display a marked reduction in quality, apologies for that!

Switch pops out from behind

Hose holder/joiner bit is held in by a screw

Onto the cyclone now

I stripped both down together, as I needed parts from both. One broken and one not broken bottom flap

Seals removed from the good bottom flap

The 'cyclone' is held together with 3 screws

The end was in sight, the sun was nearly gone, but I noticed that the two bottom flaps were VERY different...

Turns out, the whole cyclone bin and flap were different, very different. So I quickly stripped down the cyclone from the black one to use, and found...

an orange sock! Must be why the seller thought it was broken (the motor ran very nicely indeed)

All was washed and polished, and put back together

Starting with the cyclone

Seals in

top cone screwed back in

and everything else just clips back together!

Hose doo-dah back in

Switch in

Wired back up with the good cable from the black one

Lower cord hook back in

Got a bit carried away and refitted the motor, and put the 2 halves of the chassis together

Hose in

height knob and release button refitted to the hood

and the hose hooked up underneath

middle wheel re-assembled

Brushroll back together

and fitted

Baseplate fitted

Rear wheels refitted

Handle screwed back on properly

Hose fitted

Tools fitted

Filters fitted

and she is done!

I've put it up on a few facebook sites, and will take it to the car boot on sunday if I still have it. I kept the good motor from the black one and tipped the rest to get some space back.
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Tech12

• Electrical Appliance Engineer / Trainer.
Re: Samsung SU3350 - Stripdown and Refurb
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 08:35:32 am »
Nice write up, but boy doesn't it look cheap & nasty ?. While the motor was out, I'd have cleaned the com though.
Repairs to All makes of Small Commercial & Domestic appliance. Power tool repair.
City & Guilds and PAT qualified engineer.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 08:44:21 am »
It is cheap and nasty tbh! Works well now, but I doubt itll take long for it to need a light service again. Feels a bit too light if you know what I mean

Good idea RE the comm, but being a cheapo motor I didnt want to buggar it up whilst it runs fine. Do have the spare motor so could give it a go, but probably wont now...

Had 2 snifters from facebook, they havent materialised into someoen at my door with £25 yet though.
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Tech12

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 09:18:28 am »
Why would cleaning the comm with a stick bugger it up ?.  I clean the comms & re-bed or replace the carbons on all motors I have out or exposed for service.
Repairs to All makes of Small Commercial & Domestic appliance. Power tool repair.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 09:23:12 am »
Didnt think of using a stick now you mention it,  thought you meant have it apart and wire wool it!

I took the 'not broke dont fix it' approach,  its usually my stance on cheap stuff that probably wouldnt like being disturbed!

Offline Tech12

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 09:44:56 am »
No buddy, I would never put wire wool near any motor I was servicing. Either use a comm stick if you've got access to 1 or some medium fine emery paper & then a good blow out with compressed air.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 09:49:11 am »
Oh dear,  one of these again,  I always use wire wool,  very fine though to polish off the comm.  I only use this when the comm is out though,  and im able to fully blow off all the bits,  would never do it with an assembled motor as the risk of bits being left is too great.

I do have comm sticks,  but didnt think to use them,  could have put my foot on ot on the lawn and locked eva in the house for a few mins.  Not having it all apart again though

Offline Tech12

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 09:57:51 am »
One of what again ?. Wire wool should'nt be used to clean a motor comm, no matter how well you blow it out it's too easy for some to get lodged between the segments & as you said bugger it up.
No need to lock Eva in the house, just turn the motor by hand when cleaning the comm.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 10:05:02 am »
Do they work when turning the motor by hand? I always thought the motor had to be running for it to work, as the abrasive material passes under the carbons to help re-seat them in the process.

May try that with the spare motor then.

Offline Tech12

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 10:26:00 am »
 In a word, yes. That's how they're supposed to be used,  NEVER LIVE. If you want to bed/clean the carbon, use a strip of medium fine emery paper & draw it slowly under each brush once or twice in the direction of rotation. That should be all it needs on a small motor.
Make sure you clean between the comm segments as well.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 10:42:07 am »
I've used one live once, and it did work but my god the dust!

Will have a play I think.

Offline Tech12

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 10:48:23 am »
Live: Lethal : Illegal  :o what colour comm stick do you use ?.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 10:51:01 am »
It did a good job though, motor was sweet afterwards, was a bit of a pain holding it down and feeding the stick in though... May have helped that it was a 700w Hoover Compact motor and not a billion RPM chinese crappy motor

I have white ones, they came from 'murica as I struggled to find any decent ones here (were the days before I had a q account, I think they sell them). They snap easily too as I found out...

Offline Tech12

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 10:56:21 am »
Your right, the White sticks are soft & messy as hell.
If you can, get a Brown stick. They do an excellent job & are harder / much less messy. That's what we use.
There are so many different things like Garnet paper etc around for cleaning motors. but for every day service work, all you really want is a comm stick & some emery paper, some canned air & a hacksaw blade.

Offline steveP

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2019, 05:47:18 pm »
Hi Beko and others. I recently purchased a divided property part of which we have occupied for ages. The floor above us came with a Samsung SU3364 vacuum left behind by the vendors. Presumably because it worked very badly. Indeed the last occupants had borrowed a vacuum from us. We are not collectors but do seem to have acquired a modest fleet of vacuums.

My first thought was to empty the dust collecting thingy. But it was already empty. At least the outer cylinder was. But the inner section - presumably intended to be empty - was packed with fluff which ran back several inches up the flexible hose. All that removed it sucks far better!

Two other faults. A collapsed wheel mounting just as illustrated here - replacement easily obtained. And a missing LOWER cable winder hook. Supplier sent the smaller upper one and no stock lower.

Too much I suppose to hape that you still have a spare one?

Good to have joined this site

Steve

Dyson Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration