The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Replacing/obtaining motor Supressors - Knowledge me up!  (Read 51387 times)

Offline Madrat

Re: Replacing/obtaining motor Supressors - Knowledge me up!
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2015, 08:57:56 pm »
I'm a Brest man myself  8)

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2015, 09:17:45 pm »
Do you like stuffing?
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Tech12

• Electrical Appliance Engineer / Trainer.
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2015, 10:48:41 pm »
I'm a Brest man myself  8)

I'm the same  :thumbsup:
Repairs to All makes of Small Commercial & Domestic appliance. Power tool repair.
City & Guilds and PAT qualified engineer.

Offline Madrat

« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2015, 07:51:44 pm »
oh I love a good stuffing  ;D

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2015, 09:31:47 am »
Recently, I've been working through all the Electrolux Dolphins I own. I pulled a Z2230 out of the shed yesterday, which ran very well. When I got to the motor though, I was a bit surprised

Wire wise:

Blue - From the on/off switch to the LH of the supressor
Black - to the cord rewind
Red - Connects to the motor, not the supressor, goes to the speed control module
It earths directly to the motor via a big rivet and a metal clip that surrounds the cap.

I've had a google, and the only square capacitors I can find dont have spade terminals. Does anyone know of any square, spade termianaled supressors out there, or would the round Maplin ones connect up? There's enough space, I could 'adjust' the housing that held the square one to hodl the round one, possibly with a cable tie.

Any thoughts? Again, I did think of removing it completely but wasnt sure where to place the blue wire, so any thoughts?

look at the poor thing, it needs some love.
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2015, 10:05:40 am »
Ooh,  forgot a key part...

The supressor conmects to the coil via the black wire side,  coil wire clips into the spade terminal.

Other side of the coil goes to the red wire

The blue wire doesnt connect to the motor at all,  just sits on the other side of the supp

Offline Tech12

« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2015, 12:25:19 pm »
Is there enough space to fit 1 of the Maplin filters where that came out of ?
Repairs to All makes of Small Commercial & Domestic appliance. Power tool repair.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2015, 12:30:15 pm »
Yes,  i can cable tie it to the side of the motor,  theres a fair bit of space in the motor housing. 

Would one of those work then? I presume the earth needs to go onto the motor housing,  then red to black (live?)  and blue to blue (neutral),  think thats what the maplin supressor looks like?

Offline Tech12

« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2015, 03:17:03 pm »
The Maplin one should do fine.

Offline Tech12

« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2015, 07:04:59 am »
Sorry buddy: Forgot to answer part of your question. Red on Delta to Live, Blue or Black on Delta to Neutral & Yellow or Green on Delta to a solid connection on the motor frame.  :thumbsup:
The Maplin unit has pretty standard values to suit most Vacuums & small motor driven appliances.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2015, 10:22:26 pm »
Thanks Tech! She mentioned popping to big town tomorrow as she gets paid and buying baby related stuff from mothercare, and I asked if she would possibly be able to pop into maplin to buy me some more filters... apparently it's the other side of town, a pain to get to, blah blah why can't I buy them online?

OK love, if it makes your life easier... giz ya card then...

Offline Tech12

« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2015, 06:41:54 am »
No worries mate.  :grinn:

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2015, 08:29:41 pm »
It's a shame I;ve only found them at Maplin, their £3.29 each, would be happier to buy lots in bulk tbh as I'll need them! Still, being delivered in the week.

A different question if I may, would a 250Vac 3A switch run a 600w vacuum cleaner without catching fire or anything annoying like that?

Offline Tech12

« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2015, 08:40:58 pm »
Hi Sam: Of course you can ask mate, your cleaner will take about 2.67 amps when running. But draws a fair bit more on start up. Your switch will do the job but probably won't last that long.
You'd be safer using a 5 or 10a switch.
I'll have a look about for you & see if I can get the Delta's cheaper, you may have to buy a pack of 10 at a time though.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2015, 08:48:14 pm »
That would be great,  cheers. 

Ah re the switch.  Its a specific style I need for an old 1950s cleaner,  I bought the above mentioned one with the filters,  but only as a 'why not'  sort of thing.  If it were to fail,  would it do so in a pants changing way or with no drama? Id better post up what I mean when I get off the phone hadnt I!

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration