The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Replacing/obtaining motor Supressors - Knowledge me up!  (Read 50752 times)

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Replacing/obtaining motor Supressors - Knowledge me up!
« on: September 07, 2015, 08:35:31 am »
This is my current 'project'

It has its issues, but does run well. However...

it also has a ruddy big supressor fitted

which to my eye looks slightly expanded

So, rather than chop it out, what info do I need from the cap and what website do I go to and how do I search for a replacement? Won't sell it with a cap looking like that, and if one cant be found then I'll skip it as it was free anyway, but I thought I should have a go and see how hard it is to do!

I presume that new caps come with trailing leads, and I would just solder/crimp them to the existing cables?
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Tech12

• Electrical Appliance Engineer / Trainer.
Re: Replacing/obtaining motor Supressors - Knowledge me up!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 09:36:32 am »
Just email Q & give them the machine details, they should be able to provide a replacement. Other options are: RS, CPC / Farnell, Rapid electronics etc.
Repairs to All makes of Small Commercial & Domestic appliance. Power tool repair.
City & Guilds and PAT qualified engineer.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 09:41:56 am »
Cool, will try that.

What do I search for to make a start? RF Supressor, Motor Supressor and Motor RF supressor all bring up things that dont look right.

The closest I've found is http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/delta-suppression-filter-rg21x which says it's a Delta Supression Filter, and I need to check the values match up, then drive to Maplin cos there's one too close to bother with postage.
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Tech12

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 10:23:00 am »
Need a better pic of the filter end, but it looks like an inline suppressor ( filter ). The delta suppressor listed is a parallel filter not inline. Search for electrical filter or inline suppressor. Euro part also stock them.
Repairs to All makes of Small Commercial & Domestic appliance. Power tool repair.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 11:23:39 am »
Interesting, thanks. I'll get better pictures tonight.

Offline Tech12

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 01:18:50 pm »
Hi Sam: When I did a blow up of the lead end picture, it looks like there are 3 leads not 4 as I first thought. Is that right ?.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 06:00:23 pm »
It's an ERO F1740

I've had a quick look just now, and can find nothing similar, and don't know what the values mean to filter the Farnell site down.

There's a similar one on ebay, but the numbers dont match

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ERO-Capacitor-F1740-410-3591R-/201032449865?hash=item2ece77bf49

Although the ebay one looks a bit mis shapen as well, I'm wondering if its just how they came, rather than it being about to go pop.

Apparently, ERO are now Vishay Roederstein. A search on various places under that name doesnt bring anything up either that looks even remotely similar...

Offline Tech12

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 07:22:02 pm »
Hi Sam: I googled ERO F1740 plenty of hits but all 5 wire not 3.
In answer to your question: No they didn't come misshapen originally.

Where does the clear wire run to ?.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 08:41:00 pm »
The clear wure runs all the way through the cleaner and bolts onto the motor housing,  looks like an earth or something

Offline Tech12

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 08:53:59 pm »
If that's the case & it's only 3 wire, then the Maplin unit will do the job.
It's hard to tell the wiring, every time you take a picture of that end your finger gets in the way :icon_nod:

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 09:04:51 pm »
Sorry

Black and brown go to the motor wiring, see through one bolts to the motor. 2 spaded ends at the top connect to the switch, the 2 bare ones into the choc block to the mains lead.

I have the potential to get to a maplins fairly easily on thursday...

Offline Tech12

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 09:20:55 pm »
No probs: The Ferrite core would stay as is, the Delta Red should go to Brown & Black to Blue. The yellow goes in place of the clear wire, Jobs a goodun.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2015, 10:20:52 pm »
Nice, I'll get on that then!

It's all back together now, I've got tomorrow and weds off so I want to get a few more machines done to be sold, and it's 2 screws to get the wiring back out.

Works very well still, considering I left the motor alone as it looks like someones been in there before and it wont come apart again, and the belt had jumped to the end of the spindle and torn big grooves underneath (apparently they all do that sir)

Offline Tech12

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2015, 08:50:54 am »
Sorry forgot to answer 1 of your questions, the values show it has 3 capacitors inside: 1x 0.1 microfarad & 2 x 2700 picofarad with a voltage rating of 250v.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2015, 09:19:34 am »
Well, Amy went shopping yesterday and swung past Maplins for me

The plug and socket are for the Miele, the delta supressor for the panasonic

It was the same size

I wired it up as per Tech12's instructions (bit blurry as I was slightly drunk by this stage)

Just tried it now and she still works beautifully! Not doing a car boot today due to other things to do, may wang it on facebook for a tenner and get rid.

Full refurb thread can come soon now as its fixed!

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration