The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: My first DC04 Zorbster!  (Read 21538 times)

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
My first DC04 Zorbster!
« on: September 08, 2015, 10:14:52 am »
I've got today and tomorow off work for unrelated reasons, and had arranged for a DC14 I sold to come back for some remedial work (clutch has jammed). The lady said she had an old dyson in the back of the car that didnt work, and would I like it?

No hopper of course, but a DC04 Zorbster! I've never had a zorbster!

She's not without her issues though, the lady mentioned something about burning, and plaster dust, and it does have some damage

This is a shame, as I doubt I'll be able to get a wand with the original purple sticker on, just one with a grey one

Needs a new wand ubend catch too

Not plugged it in yet, will get the DC14 fixed first, but the initial list of bits needed in the future are:

Wand (any wand will do, I'll swap the bits over)
Hopper
Upholstry and dusting brush in that lilac
U bend clip

Nice start to a tuesday that was!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: My first DC04 Zorbster!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 09:11:56 pm »
Heh

I did my jobs for the day (and Amy went out) so had a look at this. The lady did mention there was fire when she gave it to me...

I checked the cable, it was cracked at the top so I cut it off and did the usual, although the inner cable was fine...

I checked the fuse by swapping it into the Miele as usual, and ah, it was dead.

Fitted a new fuse, put it in the garden as I knew it would billow out a load of dust.

Amy was back by now, and watching TV. We had her neice round as she was poorly and amys sister couldnt blag a day off, she was watching tv also.

Hoover turned on, I go to the TV unit, and plug it in to the 4 way we have there. (it's a switched 4 way), I turn it on...

it runs for 3 seconds very badly then the TV goes off, and I have to pull the TV unit out to change the fuse in the extension...

I then looked at the post motor filter...

I put it away at this point...

ALWAYS CHECK THE EASY STUFF FIRST!!! :'( :'( :'(

Post motor filters can tell the whole life story of a hoover sometimes!

Still, it's a ZORBSTER! And looks like a banging project. Just need to get some money together first to buy it some bits.
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 09:13:56 pm »
Oooh, whislt idly picking at it earlier, the wand sticker peels nicely off, and sticks nicely back on again! So I just need A. N. Other clutched wand that's not too faded (which will be tricky!)

Offline Tech12

• Electrical Appliance Engineer / Trainer.
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 09:20:58 pm »
That's a lovely looking filter, must have at least another thousand miles left in it :underchair:
Repairs to All makes of Small Commercial & Domestic appliance. Power tool repair.
City & Guilds and PAT qualified engineer.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 09:25:39 pm »
If you scraped the burnt layer off it migth have improved.

I accidentally threw it in the bin on the way back to the shed after taking that photo though. Drat...

Offline Tech12

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 10:54:04 pm »
What a waste ;D
Repairs to All makes of Small Commercial & Domestic appliance. Power tool repair.

Offline Madrat

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 02:47:39 pm »
Ah yes I've been the villain of the household before by plugging in an unknown dyson and tripping the the electric  :underchair:

Its a bugger when there were PCs running and Mrs Madrat was watching something and is waiting for the sky box to re boot giving you the evil eye  :D  then of course there are all the clocks to re set,  I'll get me coat  :snivel:

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 06:58:15 pm »
LOL unknown Dyson? xD How do you not know :P
I like the DC04 zorbster, looks like an Animal even though it isn't :) I love the 110 volt feature when the cyclone is removed

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 09:14:09 pm »
Does it? What does that do? Infact, how does it work at all? I presume the suction has to be stopped so it doesnt suck the zorb powder straight up, but doesnt the brushroll keep turning? And it's spun off the motor, so surely the motor has to keep turning?

I really should put my last new motor in it and find out hadnt I!

Offline Tech12

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 09:18:04 pm »
Go on, you know you want to ;)

Only thing is, you can almost guarantee that your next repair will need the motor you just used. It's that bloody murphys law.  :'(

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 09:22:21 pm »
That'll be the one! I'll steal it back out of the zorbster though...

Offline Madrat

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 10:02:16 pm »
Removing the cyclone assembly releases a micro switch which reduces the voltage to the motor, slowing the brush bar so it can groom the zorb into the pile, with the cyclone removed there is no suction so the zorb stays on the carpet.  On the DC05 motorhead the power switch had a 3rd position, it would operate the brush bar only, this was for use with zorb.

Offline __russ__

• Dyson Repairs Essex
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 10:05:44 pm »
If you look on the frame at the base of the bin, there is a switch that when the bin is removed, slows the motor right down to work the Zorb granules into the carpet.

You can just switch the TOC from the Zorbster motor and put it on the other one you've got.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2015, 08:15:23 am »
Are they YDK motors then?

Offline Madrat

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2015, 06:09:39 pm »
Yes. Only the TOC is different but that is just swapped from the old motor.

DC04 Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration