The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Smartness DV10uk - Stripdown and Refurb  (Read 6706 times)

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Smartness DV10uk - Stripdown and Refurb
« on: September 19, 2015, 08:17:52 am »
A few weeks ago, I happened upon a chap at the car boot selling a fair few of these

https://www.vipercleaning.com/en/products/Pages/product.aspx?pid=50000061

He had at least 10, with a big box of crappy looking tools. I had a punt on one at £8, and he put me together a pole and floor tool set, which I binned as soon as we got home as it was knackered. I sort of half expected it not to work, but it fired up and sounded sweet as a nut!

He told me he used them for dust extractors for his woodwork shop, he wasnt fibbing either...

It's pretty similar to a Numatic Henry in many ways

I emptied it out

and vacced off the filter, then took it off for washing

and started the stripdown! The bracket that the top slots into at the back unscrews from the inside

The rear wheels unscrew, just like a Numatic

and the front wheels pull out

Onto the top half now

The cord tucks into a holder to stop it being damaged as it comes out of the machine

With some careful use of a DC04 Switch removal tool I managed to open up the cable tie

The top lifts out with 4 screws

The wiring is nice and simple

The next thing I came to is this mahoosive slab of sound deadening!

once removed the motor housing comes into view

The switch pops out of the top housing

The clip at the front that secures the machine together is held in with 2 screws and a bracket

The top handle is held in with 4 screws

The motor housing is held in with 2 screws

Once removed the motor lifts out of the housing

another big slab of foam sits around the motor

The release valve is a simple affair, held in with a massive spring

Big chunky seal pulls out of the base of the motor housing

Motor next

Kingclean!

2 screws hold the motor together

The top housing lifts off, remembering to not loose the wobble washer

I tried to remove the carbon brushes at this point, but they fouled on the fan case so could come out

So off that came next

The coil and carbons fell off at this point, and I took the fan off the armature

the fixed fan unscrews from the top of the motor housing

and she is apart!

Everything was washed, dried and polished. The foam bits and filter went through the washing machine and came up very well!

Back together now

Armature in

Fans on

I neglected to take smudges of the rest, but the coil and carbons went back in, then the fan case, then the top bearing housing. I didnt replace the bearings, they were fine. That filter did do a very good job of keeping the MDF dust in!

Big seal back in

release valve back in

Whilst the foam bits came up like new after a wash, this peice did fall to bits

but was much easier to fit being in bits, so I consider it a good thing

Motor fitted back into the housing

All the wiring was refitted

as was the motor housing

The handle was refitted with all its screws

The switch wired back in, and the top sound deadening fitted, which was a pain to keep in the right place!

Mobility was given back to the base

Rear clip was refitted

Little gauze was refitted to the top

That's the machine done, but I still had a tools quandry. I did put together a nice set consisting of the hose that came with it (washed), some good poles and bent end and a brand new floor tool I had. However, I had a message asking if I had any Henry tools, so ended up selling them for £20...

So I bought a new set from ebay (was cheaper than buying the same set from Q as I didnt have to pay delivery or VAT). It came shipped from Q too, even though I bought it from LM Electrical...

I grabbed 3 henry HEPAflo bags, as they fitted, and called her done!

The filter came up like new

The new tools made it look very nice

Might pop back to the car boot and see if he has anymore, I wont bother getting any tools though! May see if he has a bodily knackered one too as the motor will fit into my Numatic Bertie I have in the shed!

She's up for sale on a motoring forum I live in, incase anyone wants a good car cleaning vac, but I'll chuck it on facebook after the weekend if no takers there!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Tech12

• Electrical Appliance Engineer / Trainer.
Re: Smartness DV10uk - Stripdown and Refurb
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 09:02:23 am »
Can't fault it, cheap cleaner & a free bag of sawdust :thumbsup:
Repairs to All makes of Small Commercial & Domestic appliance. Power tool repair.
City & Guilds and PAT qualified engineer.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 09:05:39 am »
Hehe,  free sawdust wits bits of expanding foam inside,  sure my hamster would love thst (if I had one)

It works very well,  the suctions incredibly sharp.  All thwt foqm makes it quite quiet too,  and I presume doesnt make it run too hot as the motor shows no signs of being too hot
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Tech12

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 09:28:08 am »
Looks like it would make an ideal Tradesman's vac or maybe a Valeter's.
Repairs to All makes of Small Commercial & Domestic appliance. Power tool repair.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 11:05:25 pm »
It would, its a Henry in so many ways, just not enough to get sued! Apparently it's made by Nilfisk as their budget range, re-badged up as a Smartness. Looks the spit of some Taski Bora machines I have seen as well.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 10:37:19 pm »
Well, this sold on ebay today. Had zero interest on facebook, and it only got a bid on ebay at the last minute, and I got a whopping £19.99... Don't think I'll bother getting one to sell again, but it was fun, and their bloody good little vacs, someone got a bargain.

It's sat in the car boxed up, I'll drop it off at mums tomorrow for the Parcelforce man to collect and it can start its new life in Glasgow early next week!

Offline Tech12

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 07:54:40 am »
Wow, that's a bummer buddy.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 07:58:16 am »
Wasnt quite the result I was hoping for,  but I made £4 profit,  and have an empty wardrobe.

Cant win them all! If I got upset about every clunker it would take the fun out of my hobby I suppose!

Offline Tech12

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 08:04:23 am »
As long as your making a bit of profit not losing money that's a good thing.  :thumbsup:
That was a nice looking machine.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 08:16:16 am »
Exactly!

It's a bit of a shame we havent been to any more car boots though, as the motors in these will fit the dead Bertie I have in the shed, was going to ask the chap if he had any physically broken ones in his pile with runnin motors, offer him a fiver for it and take the motor out. I'll have to see if he is there next year now! Or keep looking on the bay, not paying £40 for a motor for an ex builders vacuum.

Might try firing it up with the motor on the floor under my foot yet though, but that's for a different thread!

Dyson Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram