The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Xpelair Fan Installation  (Read 27388 times)

Offline Tech12

• Electrical Appliance Engineer / Trainer.
Re: Xpelair Fan Installation
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2015, 07:07:39 pm »
You might be OK with liner then, they used to use it quite a bit on the outer walls of old stone built houses.
Repairs to All makes of Small Commercial & Domestic appliance. Power tool repair.
City & Guilds and PAT qualified engineer.

Offline Dyson2000

• Dyson Restorer and Collector!
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2015, 07:17:58 pm »
Hi D2000: Could your dad, maybe take the front off the boxwork & stuff rockwool around the pipes ? I'd also lag the pipes in the attic as well. It's a quick and cheap wany of insulating them. We had a similar problem in the kitchen of our old house & I cured it by making the boxwork slightly bigger and stuffing rockwool around the pipes. Rockwool cost me about a fiver.
Extra lagging above the area may help the problem as well.

Compared to the old extractor fans, modern versions are pretty quiet when installed properly. A friend of mine owns a pub & in every public room they've got an old 12" ventaxia either wall or window mounted, by God do they make a noise when they come on. I've been trying to get him to change them for years, but no luck he's too mean ::)

Yep, that we are going to do next year if it's dry hopefully because it needs done badly

Offline Madrat

« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2015, 07:22:22 pm »
We get just as much running down the internal walls as the external wall  :grinn:

Offline Tech12

« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2015, 08:32:39 pm »
Yep, that we are going to do next year if it's dry hopefully because it needs done badly

Yep: Black mould is certainly not good for you, good luck with it.
Repairs to All makes of Small Commercial & Domestic appliance. Power tool repair.

Offline Tech12

« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2015, 08:36:00 pm »
We get just as much running down the internal walls as the external wall  :grinn:

How about fitting a more powerful extractor ? or fitting an inline fan through to a roof vent as an addition.

Offline Madrat

« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2015, 09:01:38 pm »
I was thinking of a more powerful fan, I'm not messing with roof vents, not the way the wind and rain blow round here, I've seen the rain blow up one side of the roof and down the other  :o  Cant even put it in the eves, no access to them, there seams to be a double row of wooden beams round them, never seen anything like it.

Offline Tech12

« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2015, 09:11:09 pm »
Any idea what size / wattage the existing fan is ?. Usually in a domestic bathroom it's 100mm & about 30 watts.

Offline Madrat

« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2015, 09:19:56 pm »
I know it 100mm but no idea of the wattage, it was only a cheap one from screw fix about 10 years ago.

Offline Tech12

« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2015, 09:23:49 pm »
Most of the 4" list extraction rates of 23 / 25 litres a second, the Manrose 6" fans list as 63 litres a second extract. A pretty fair increase.

Before changing it though, I'd check the wall duct & outer Louvre to make sure they're in order. May save you some money.

Offline Madrat

« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2015, 09:24:33 pm »
Looks like 20w according to screw fix now.  Probably need a centrifugal. Can't enlarging the hole, the position of the fan means anything bigger wouldnt fit against the wall, it's right up in the corner, stupid council contractors again  :censored:

Offline Tech12

« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2015, 09:30:07 pm »
Ouch: 20 watt is diddy. I can't for the life of me remember the formulae you use to work out extract rates for a given size room. But if it is 20 w look at getting a 4" fan at about 55w if you can find one.

I've never understood why people jam fans into a corner, it's just bloody stupid.

Offline Madrat

« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2015, 09:56:55 pm »
none of the fans on screw fix are over 20w but they do seam to move more air than they used to  :grinn: 85/90m³/hr

Offline Tech12

« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2015, 06:59:29 am »
Have a look at the fans on the bay, seems to be a lot on there. Does it say what the air movement was for your old fan ?
Manrose do a super efficient / silent bathroom fan QF100H but it's not particularly cheap on eBay.

Sorry: Missed a bit earlier, a centrifugal fan would probably be more efficient but possibly not as quiet.

Dyson Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration