The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Burnt out motor reviving?  (Read 14884 times)

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
Burnt out motor reviving?
« on: September 20, 2015, 10:52:50 pm »
I wanna get my DC14 animal working without buying a new motor, got other vac stuff to do before this so am on a budget. I have a DC14 motor which is burnt out, with good bearings and spins very smoothly and takes ages to slow down :) no noises either, so all good. It has burnt out though and the armature is full of carbon dust. Can I save it?

Also what is a winding? I am an amateur, I know so... bear with my stupid questions about motors lol :grinn:. I have a good perfect DC24 motor aswell and a DC25 motor if that helps.

Also my DC04 silver lime has crap DC01 suction because I took the bottom fan plate off the motor and put it back on cos I was cleaning the fan. It sounds fine but aint got the capability to lift rugs and seal in the suction now  ::)

Offline Tech12

• Electrical Appliance Engineer / Trainer.
Re: Burnt out motor reviving?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 08:43:21 am »
Hi Parwaz: They're not stupid questions at all & don't forget we're all amateurs when we first start out, the main windings are the coils of wire that you can see around the inside of the motor. The armature runs between the windings on the motor, the armature has it's own windings & you can see part of these at either end of the armature. With repairing a burned out motor, it depends what's burnt out. If you've got 2 duff motors though & they have'nt both got the same problems then it should be possible, having said that: I've never bothered stripping a Dyson motor. beko or Mvacs will tell you whether it's worth it though.
Repairs to All makes of Small Commercial & Domestic appliance. Power tool repair.
City & Guilds and PAT qualified engineer.

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 09:03:05 am »
Thank you so much :) that information has helped, I think I will get annew motor, they are a pain to faff with

Offline Tech12

• Electrical Appliance Engineer / Trainer.
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 09:35:21 am »
Your welcome buddy,  :tiphat: for wanting to learn  ;D Even if your not going to use the motor, it would be a good learning experience to strip them down. Take plenty of pictures & make notes, it'll serve you well in the future. When I first started training as a sparky, my boss gave me a notebook & pen. He said the best advice he could give me was to always take plenty of notes while learning and then you always had a reference when you got stuck.
No Digital cameras in those days ;)
Repairs to All makes of Small Commercial & Domestic appliance. Power tool repair.
City & Guilds and PAT qualified engineer.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 10:10:41 am »
I've made 1 good motor out of 2 before
https://manchestervacs.co.uk/DysonForum/index.php/topic,1310.0.html

It's do-able, but the tolerances are very tight, so don't expect miracles.

Sadly, by the time a motor has burnt out, the damage is already done. I got a Hoover pureshite 2000w thing earlier in the year that had burnt out (stank the house out when I plugged it in). I took it all apart, and the carbon brushes had disintegrated at the ends. I got a sharp stanley, and trimmed them back to a good point, and cleaned the armature up with wire wool. Put it all back together and.... it exploded again. Tech and other have said in the past that once it burns out, the damage is done, the comm segments wear down unevenly which causes the electricity to jump about and generally not do much good at all. I've taken a good armature with shot bearings (in the link) and swaped it all about and got no comeback (possibly would do that now with a selling machine, would keep it just to see if it could be done.

Your DC04 motor got me thinking last night after you mentioned it, it must be fixable. Did you just take the fan cover off and left everything else? How does the motor spin now compared to before? I ask because I have DC33 I'm doing now (thread to come), and I took the fan out to clean it. Putting it back together, I pushed the fan cover on too much, and the fan didnt spin. A few taps with the hammer to back it off and it span again, and works very well. If it seems to spin slower, have you tried easing it back a few mm? I can't see what else would kill suction apart from bodywork not being put together properly, or a seal missing somewhere. I presume you've tested the suction with the cyclone off at the chassis?

I need to play about with the DC50 motor in much the same way. I'm sure it momentarily slows down in use, once I get my ears syringed and can hear again I'll have another look but I was hoping to strip it and a dc24 motor down, and make one good one but I need to keep the DC50 carbon holders as they are narrower than the 24 so it fits in the housing. Hopefully I can clean the DC24 Armature up, and fit the good DC24 brushes to the DC50 motor (which has peaky looking carbons and comm), and fit it all back into the DC50 motor.
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 01:03:44 pm »
Cool Sam! 👌😃 basically I took the metal plate off and I cleaned the fan and sprayed WD40 in it, then put the metal plate back on and assembled the vacuum correctly, even when I feel the suction with the cyclone off directly the suction isnt very good, the tiny fragile seal with the motor tube thing is perfect aswell. The hose suction is like a DC01 and when I used the Dyson, the dirt spins slower than usual too

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 01:04:59 pm »
Ps the motor fan spins smoothly and the bearings are very good in it

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 01:15:12 pm »
Could the WD40 have screwed up the airflow now it's coated the fan? Or, it soaked off the crap (Was it especially filthy?) and it's blocked off some of the fins?

Whats the suction like straight out of the chassis? Does it sound 'correct'? I refurbed a DC07 once and once back together it was blocked, full on release valve open high pictched scream blocked. Cyclone off, it was fine. God knows what was wrong, I had it apart several times and in the end (luckily) put another cyclone on i had and it was fine. I know DC04 release valves can be a pain in the arse and kill all the suction as it escapes from there...

Put your hand over where the suction comes out from the cyclone first, then the hose. It'll soon tell you the issue!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 02:40:44 pm »
Hmm clever thinking! I think the WD40 crapped it up. The suction direct from the motor is also rubbish

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 02:48:45 pm »
You got a (10m or 13mm I cant remember) socket? Whip the fan off as above, find a small pot and soak it in boiling water and washing up liquid until the water cools, then repeat. Rinse, dry, re-assemble and test!

Dont forget, left hand thread so do-up is undo, undo is do-up!

At least that rules out the cyclone then!

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 03:01:53 pm »
Cheers! And btw do u mean that left hand thread is to unscrew the bolt in an anti clockwise direction? The thinsnis as stubborn as hell 😁 I can only find pliers atm

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2015, 03:04:40 pm »
Yep. You tried covering the fan with a towel/bit of cloth, clamp it firmly down with the palm of your hand whilst gripping the backside of the motor then turning the ratchet? Put some welly on and it should crack off then be finger loose to spin the nut off. Then washer, fan, washer and motor! Shouldnt need to hold the belt pulley

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2015, 04:18:51 pm »
I have done that, will need to find aomething better than pliers to grip the bolt tho lol 😄 will let u know how I get on

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2015, 04:59:44 pm »
Aaah, you dont have a socket set then! That would help alot

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2015, 05:06:13 pm »
It is the female thing like they use on car tyre removals?

Dyson Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram