The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Beware Argos Guarantee scam  (Read 22541 times)

Offline Tech12

• Electrical Appliance Engineer / Trainer.
Beware Argos Guarantee scam
« on: September 28, 2015, 02:57:09 pm »
Went into Argos today & bought a battery drill, at the checkout and again at the collection point they tried to up sell an extended warranty for it. Both salespeople tried to tell me that the drill only came with a 1 year warranty, going on past experience with this particular manufacturers kit I didn't bother.
So get the drill home and find, the guarantee is for 2 years as standard but by registering it online you get an extra year added on. So becomes 3 years, i went on the Argos website & found that this is stated on there.
Either the sales staff are just trying to up they're commission & don't care how they do it or Argos tell them to do so.
Repairs to All makes of Small Commercial & Domestic appliance. Power tool repair.
City & Guilds and PAT qualified engineer.

Offline Madrat

Re: Beware Argos Guarantee scam
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 07:51:28 pm »
Isn't everything covered by a European 2 year warranty, just not told about it in the UK ?

Offline Tech12

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 06:50:56 am »
Think the biggest con is the extended warranty though, if you take out say a 3 year warranty & the unit already has a 2 year warranty. All your getting for your money is an extra year.
We bought a freezer from them about 3 months ago & took out 3 years extended warranty @ £40 + . When the freezer arrived it already had 2 years warranty so would take us to 2017, when the extended warranty arrived it shows that the warranty ends in 2018 so all we actually get for the money is an extra year.  >:(
Repairs to All makes of Small Commercial & Domestic appliance. Power tool repair.

Offline Madrat

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 10:10:51 am »
I never extend the warranty,

Offline Tech12

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 12:23:18 pm »
I never do it normally, especially with anything electrical. But I don't do refrigeration so have always taken the extended warranty on them, never bought anything like that from Argos before & won't be any time in the future.

Offline Madrat

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 01:01:58 pm »
We bought there table top fridge, long story, and the table top freezer for son to keep snake food in.  Freezer packed up 12 months later so had 2 dozen gone off and stinky mice  :sick0012: and the fridge decided it was a freezer even on the lowest setting after 3 days  :censored: For white goods I always go Beko and usually get them from the co op, they are always cheaper. 

Offline Tech12

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 02:48:29 pm »
Yeo, I like Beko stuff never had any problems with it. Unfortunately we don't have a co op down here any more they closed down years ago. There is 1 about 15 miles from us but all they sell is food at highly inflated prices.

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 03:59:12 pm »
You have a pet snake? 😃 Cool!

Offline Madrat

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 04:54:27 pm »
I haven't been in the co op for years, just order on line.

Not me, number 3 son has 4 snakes, 2 corn, 1 king, 1 python (royal)

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 06:34:49 pm »
Nice! :) Not a snake fan, but reptiles are cool interesting pets, we had a 17 year old yellow bellied slider turtle :) Gave it away though cos it needed lots of attention (cleaning the pump filters and algae and feeding it and taking it out etc) And we kept goldfish in the same tank and bit one of the tails off and it died a few days later :(
We now have 19 goldfish in a tank :)

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 06:36:55 pm »
We should be getting a nice naughty cat soon :)

Offline Madrat

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 06:43:12 pm »
19  :o how big is the tank?

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2015, 09:26:17 am »
I never bother with an extended warranty, we just buy all our 'disposable' electronics from asda/argos/somewhere we can easily drive back to when it breaks within a year, and just put the receipt in the box and put the box in the loft!

We went through this with hose phones. I bought a whizzy Biantone job from Argos for £30, could hook the mobiles up to it via bluetooth too, did look smart but was shit. When they broke after 9 months we went back, and asked for a different set. Within 9 months all the ones that were £50 when we first looked were now £30, so we got more for our money anyway. Had the current Gigaset ones for 3 years now, so can't play that game again but again, when they die (I think the quality is crap but she likes them), we can just buy another £30 set and repeat!

SWMBO bought a new hairdryer at the weekend, the old one stopped being hot after 3 years of service. New one cost £20, if it dies within a year it can go back, if it lasts longer then we'll have had £20 worth of use out of it, and a new one wont be so bad!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2015, 10:42:35 am »
The tank is pretty big :) I would say it's approx 1 metre by 30 cm and it's height is about 50 cm

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2015, 10:43:22 am »
I had an Argos value range hair dryer, it blew up last week for some reason, didn't last very long (only about a few months)

Dyson Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration