The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Panasonic Icon MC-E582 - Intensive Stripdown and Refurb  (Read 11673 times)

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Panasonic Icon MC-E582 - Intensive Stripdown and Refurb
« on: October 05, 2015, 04:48:45 pm »
This all started by reading this post on Vacuumland - http://www.vacuumland.org/cgi-bin/TD/TD-VIEWTHREAD.cgi?29901_66

I've wanted a Panasonic Icon for ages, I remember them growing up an Ibasiac (on youtube) has done a wonderful demo of his, and they look really good. The one in the link above was in Bicester, and 99p. I'm 15 mins away from Bicester. Can you guess what happened next?

Of course you can, otherwise why would I be writing this post?

As mentioned in the ebay listing, and touched upon in the quite bitchy forum post, it had a full bag. I don't have any spare bags for it, but as luck would have it, there was a new pack of bags being sold not 18 miles away on a gumtree listing in Oxford, so I popped up the A34 and got those

They came with a free Sanyo SC-8AN vacuum cleaner too!  8), the whole lot cost £3, which is less than a genuine box of bags goes for on ebay anyway...

Poor photo, apologies

I had a look at the Icons dustbag

Which was a touch full, although there was some room left

The pre motor filter was a bit dirty though

So I bashed it out on the rug, removing a crayon in the process

Took a nice new bag

fitted it

and had a go

It beats Dyson by many years with having a motor driven brushroll, and my god it's agressive! Such a nice cleaner to use!

I used it here and there for a bit, filling the bag with deep down grit from the carpets. Very good.

Then I put the very very filthy post motor filter in the washing machine, along with a load of other filters, hoses and it's pre motor filter. That went well*

The filter is made of tissue paper, which didn't like being submerged in 80 degree water for 3 hours being tossed about a bit... Never fear though, I had a plan

Before that, however, I stripped it down one sunny saturday morning whilst watching Swashbuckle with Eva...

Bag door off

The 1/4 full bag

The post motor filter housing comes off

The rest of the front trim is held on with a screw

There seemed to be an impact mark on the bag door, although it wasn't actually broken

The bag door release, however was not so easy to get out, and I left it alone for fear of damage. Bags are the only thing you can buy for this machine now, EVERYTHING else is long obselete!

The bag full indicator was a bit dusty

So out it came

and apart it came

Out with the bag

Extension tube and crevice tool come off

Dusting brush off

Sadly the Upholstry tool is missing. One may turn up one day

There is a screw lurking behind the dusting brush

Which releases the incredibly bulky handle

Handle off, the housing that the hose clips into can be removed with 5 screws

Damn, there's no way that hose is coming out

Sadly, the hose has been crushed at some point

but it's not torn, so could be worse

The 2 circuit boards can be seen now

the front slider trim pops off a clip at the bottom

The 2 boards connect up to each other. One controls on/off and power, which then feeds into the other board

I hope that capacitor never goes pop BOOM  :underchair:

Aha!

Snip

Wires from the motor, brushroll and cord reel now

and she is free

Moving down, the hose port unscrews from the machine and twists off the little hose

The RH wheel unscrews

Revealing a cover

The other wheel comes off in the same way

This is the damage mentioned on the original listing, the housing for one of the rear wheels has snapped, so I could pull the wheel out very easily

Will glue that up when its washed!

On the other side, the cover comes off and reveals 3 plugs

The brushroll on/off switch cover pops off too

Reference shot as at this stage I was starting to worry about complications!

red/black to red/black

yellow plug to yellow plug and incase the spanish got confused putting it together the white plug to yellow plug was already coloured in!

Wires unplugged, it seems the next thing to do is unscrew all the screws holding the baseplate on, which had 2 either side of the pivot rings too. Once off, the whole base plate lifts off, leaving everything sitting in the blue cover

The base plate assembly

I think there's more damage too, both sides look like there should be a bit of plastic around each lug of the wheel too, but there isnt

I pulled the broken peice off fully so I could clean the joint up, it was hanging in by a tiny peice anyway

The other rear wheel pops out with a gentle lever from a flatblade, as I presume it should do

The chamber that holds the brushroll motor is connected to the main airflow path with a little filter

Some felt seals were fitted to the brushroll holders too

The brushroll switches can be lifted out of the baseplate

The lever that turns the brushroll off when upright, and on when reclined lifts out, and the spring can be removed

the switch clips in behind that

The 2 soleplate wheels flick out

as does the little brush that makes up for the belt guard being in the way (I dont recall there being a massive line of shame on Ibasiacs demo, will have to check that)

The rest of the internal hose lifts off the baseplate now

The power wires for the brushroll motor, and the thermal cutout are routed very neatly as so

Once un-routed the brushroll lifts out

It's massive! Heavy too, a proper brushroll!

The motor end is protected by a rubber cover

Which houses the thermal cutout, which I presume then trips the reset switch

The flash ruins it somewhat but this is a screw at the end of the brushroll!

Once removed the end row of brushes and the brushroll holder part come off the end

The bearing slides off with the bearing puller

and the end cage pulls off the brushroll housing

On the other side, the brushroll motor and associated withdraws from the brushroll shell.  :censored: me it's big and heavy, take note Dyson, this is a proper brushroll motor, none of your crappy little things!

Few bits of string to clean off, but otherwise very clean!

Onto the beast now!

The end cooling fan is held on with a nut, then a washer sits under it. All the below comes off with it

The cog assembly is amazing!

One came out with the shank, the other two came off with the circlip removed. The rubber cover for this part slides off too

and all went into a pot so I didnt get grease on the rug (again... :snivel:)

You cant see it in the picture, but hidden under here are 3 screws

Which leaves the motor, which doesnt really come apart any more, nor does it need to! It runs fine

Back to some plastics now, and the top of the brushroll housing

A screw at the back releases the see through part

The reclining latch is fixed onto the brushroll cover

This just pulls off, remembering to not loose the tiny spring contained within

2 more felt seals lurking under here

There is a little filter here too, well was. No way was I removing those clips, and the foam was perished anyway so I pulled it out with some needlenose pliers

The foam looked like this, good riddance to it!

The bumper slides off theb rushroll housing now

Brushroll assembly done, it's back onto the main housing now

Some screws remove the cover that goes over the whole thing

Reference shot of the cord reel wiring. The black cable is the one we snipped earlier, took me a while to work that one out...

No way was I having this apart, which is a shame as it didnt work very well

So I pulled 4 length of cord off 'properly', then wound it back on again, another 4 lengths pulled off, and wound back on again, then 2 pulled off and wound back on again and the action seems much better. I left it at that! No way will I ever get another one if I break it

The rewind pedal and mechanism pops off the chassis too

These small peices hide the wires as they run up the chassis

Then the motor can be lifted out

The utterly filthy sound deadening removed

The cables are stuck to the top motor rubber

Another thermal cutout, and all the motor wires run alongside like so

I marked up one of the wires for re-assembly

and removed all the wires so they could be cleaned

The fancase seal came off, but apart from that I left the motor alone, it was ok, the fan was clean and I doubt I could improve it at all

This motor housing seal fell out on me

So I removed that, but left all the others in place

The motor chamber diffuser was utterly perished, and what was left fell out with a tap

Release valve was sat in the back of the bag chamber

And the bit of plastic that stops the bag door being able to be closed without a bag pops out of its 2 pivot lugs

There is a seal around the edge of the bag door, this pulled out

And she is stripped! This took all afternoon, was certainly up in the top 5 most involved teardowns I've done!

Non washables

Greasy bits

The S5 took care of the mess

Perhaps a little too well, as I'd missed the parts box with the clip that holds the upholstry tool on, and up the turbo brush it went. Had to sacrifice the half full bag in the S5 and retrieve it!

Washables

Those air fresheners STINK. SWMBO bought it, and put it outside an hour later. You could taste it as you walked in the gate. I threw it in the bin at the weekend, the bin smells lovely now...

I soaked the brushroll cogs in some brake cleaner to get the old grease off

Took 4 goes, as it kept evaporating off in the warmth we had that weekend!

More soon...
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Madrat

Re: Panasonic Icon MC-E582 - Intensive Stripdown and Refurb
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 05:06:14 pm »
That is one mother of a brush bar  :o

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 05:07:20 pm »
It's amazing! Very very stiff too! Got the re-assembly to write after tea and when Eva goes to bed
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 08:46:10 pm »
Righty-ho, child in bed, washing up done, current project vacuum washed up as well!

The icon was ciffed and polished up and laid out so I knew where everything was

I dig around in the shed and got some filters out that dont fit anything I own

and cut a bit of black foam to size and tacked it onw ith a bit of superglue so it didnt fall out whilst fitting the motor

I glued the broken peice up with q-bond (which failed soon after as the plastic must be wrong for the qbond. Anyone recommend any epoxy to use?)

Release valve back in

Refitted the seal that came out

Popped the wires back onto the motor and fitted the sound deadening

and laid it in and tucked the wires where they needed to go

fitted the cable covers so they didnt keep popping out

Refitted the cord rewind pedal assembly

Cord reel dropped back in and plugged in

and screwed the holding bracket down

Rear housing screwed on

Back to the brushroll housing now, and more snippy snippy of the black foam to replace the old stuff on the brushroll motor vent

I just tucked it in, didnt bother clamping it down

Felt pads and bumper refitted

Release mechanism now, this part does the locking

This bit does the releasing

Like so

Brushroll window refitted

Motor now

Cog cup screwed down

Filled with fresh new grease

No pics of this bit but the cogs were refitted and dropped on, and the rubber cover fitted to the housing

Spacer dropped into the centre

Bearing pushed back on and in

Washer dropped on

Cooling fan fitted

Locking nut fitted

I then turned the whole thing, and it went from sounding very dry to silent and silky smooth within 2 revolutions!

Motor fitted into the brushroll

Other end fitted

I re-packed the end bearing with grease

fitted

holding cap fitted

End cap dropped on

and screwed up

Brushroll was lowered into the housing, and the wiring tucked away, which was easier than I thought as I could follow the bends in the cable

Baseplate now, and the little brush snapped back into place

then the wheels

Recline switch snapped back into its little house

as does the switching arm

Cabling tucked away

The other wheel fitted. The one on the broken side flops around, so they look like this when tipped up

I remembered the little bit I vacuumed up, and loosened the screws to the motor housing and slipped it in

The blue half was laid on its back, the spine laid on that, the cables that go from the cleaner to the brusroll tucked into their little holes, then the baseplate lowered on

Like so

Damn, forgot the internal hose, off with the baseplate again

Done, screwed down

Plugged in and tucked back into their respective places

Wiring cover refitted, and the wheels back on

Brushroll (not sure why they call it a beater bar, it hasnt got any beaters, although the stiff brushes make up for that I suppose) switch cover refitted

Right up to the top now, and the lower PCB was wired up and the cables routed

Then the top PCB was wired up, and I delved into my new stash of end terminals and re-connected the black wire back up

Slider cover refitted

Hose refitted

Bag door failsafe refitted

Bag door seal now, this took ages to push down behind the locating tabs all around

Bag full indicator popped back together

and screwed down

Forgot to photo this, but refitted the lower trim, and fitted the filter cover back on

Tube and crevice tool fitted

The wheel then broke when I tipped it back to do something, so I put them in a safe place for another day (watch me loose them forever...)

The handle went back on (Amy had come home by this point so I got sloppy with my picture taking...)

Cleaned filter fitted

I put my superb post motor filter idea into action

A random hepaflo bag for something I dont own

Snip snip, and pushed down and held in with the cage that was left from the old filter

You cant tell when the cover is re-fitted unless you look really hard

I could fanny around with glue and glue the fabric to the cage, but this way if it ever gets smeggy I can just bin it and cut a new peice

Shiney

Roger (Ibasiac) took the sticker off his new in box one (one of them anyway), which does look very nice as you can see the brushroll, but you would notice that on my very much used example, so I'm going to leave it fitted

and she is done! I shot an after video the next day. As you can see, the missing rear wheel doesnt affect the use, just means I cant roll it around on them, which isnt the end of the world

I then got even more bored, and got the 50p rug I bought at the car boot a few weeks ago that Amy hates down (she was out at this point) and had a play with the Icon (which did do the best job) and the other cleaners I have lying around (the 25 finally went back to its owner on Saturday)

On Friday, I put the Icon in the car and went to see my mum at lunchtime, as she has actual carpet! I vacuumed her whole house, and the pile came up a treat. The bag is now nearly half full, and her Miele with turbo head isnt too bad, but she only uses that downstairs, upstairs gets her Panasonic, with its comically soft brushroll, it probably picked more up from there.

The icon does suffer from the paper bag, sadly cloth type ones arent available for Panasonics

This part was just sand

Pre filter still very clean though

2 Panasonics side by side

The white one suffers from the same issue too as it takes the same bags

And there we have it! I'm very glad to have it, and although it will go up in the loft for now to get some space back, I get the feeling it will get used quite alot, it's just so damn good, I'd say it's the best upright I've ever used, even better than a Turbopower, although the Turbopower does groom slightly better, but hasnt got the suction that this thing has!

Thanks for reading!

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 09:21:41 pm »
Wow this cleans better than a Turbopower ;D I enjoyed this thread, as always :)
The brushbar reminds me of the DC50, this panasonic one looks well made, the DC50 brush motor is thin like a AA battery or a whiteboard marker

Offline dysondc16

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 04:34:48 am »
I've had a few of the American counterparts, they are fantastic carpet cleaners. I really like the design of the icon, seems a bit slimmer than the ones we got. Here there are "kenmore" vacuums (made by panasonic) which use the same brush bar design still on sale.
Can't believe it got you to admit it's better than a turbopower! :o

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 08:46:50 am »
The Icon seems slimmer than some of the machines you got in the US? Bloody hell, how massive are they?!

Yep, I admitted it is better than a Turbopower... I really need to put my money where my mouth is and have a head to head now dont I! It wont be a fair test though, as even if I reduce the suction to as close to 420w as I can work out on the Icon, the brushroll still spins at full speed, so it'll have an advantage. I'll see what I can do!

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 08:56:03 am »
Are these as quiet as the autosave pcb blowing henrys?

Offline dysondc16

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 02:42:13 pm »
I have the one on the left. It is huge, has a really long cord, three suction speeds, two brush speeds, and a stair cleaning hose.

Offline dysondc16

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 03:01:45 pm »
A head to head with a turbopower would be really neat! I think we both know who would win....
Maybe it would be fun to put the icon up against a dc01 lol..

Offline Tech12

• Electrical Appliance Engineer / Trainer.
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 03:55:07 pm »
Are these as quiet as the autosave pcb blowing henrys?
Ls
Hi buddy: Do you by any chance have any of the blown henry pcb's ? I would'nt mind getting
hold of some to see if they can be repaired.
Repairs to All makes of Small Commercial & Domestic appliance. Power tool repair.
City & Guilds and PAT qualified engineer.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 04:13:33 pm »
Next time I get one tech Ill keep it for you.  Did have someone message me about a dead henry but not heard anything.  Tried Autovac? She might have some/get one in soon

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 04:14:23 pm »
A head to head with a turbopower would be really neat! I think we both know who would win....
Maybe it would be fun to put the icon up against a dc01 lol..

That could be done,  I have a few DC01s, I think we all know what the outcome may be though,  as much as I like a good dc01 its not the last word in anything really

Offline Tech12

• Electrical Appliance Engineer / Trainer.
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2015, 04:33:53 pm »
Next time i gett one tech Ill keep it for you.  Did have someone message me about a dead henry but not heard anything.  Tried Autovac? She might have some/get one in soon

Cheers buddy, could possibly save some machines from the skip. Have a pretty well equipped Electronics workshop just sitting doing pretty much nothing at the moment
Repairs to All makes of Small Commercial & Domestic appliance. Power tool repair.
City & Guilds and PAT qualified engineer.

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2015, 08:33:23 pm »
Am sorry mate, never had a Henry before, would love one too :)
Are these Panasonic Icons quieter than these Henry's tho?

Dyson Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration