The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: How to replace DC40 yoke assembly  (Read 14981 times)

Offline SkyMonkey

How to replace DC40 yoke assembly
« on: November 05, 2015, 10:47:38 pm »
Hi All, I'm new here.

I stripped the DC40 down to replace the broken wiring loom to the brushbar head and can't figure out how to put it all back together, especially the routing of the loom at the opposite end to the circuit board and the gear wheel mesh. I've watched the DC41 Yoke Assy YT video but the DC40 is quite different.  :'(

Can anyone help please?

Thanks,

SM.

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
Re: How to replace DC40 yoke assembly
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 11:57:49 pm »

Welcome to this site!  :tiphat:

I have took apart my DC40 a lot of times, horrible machine to work on  :'( it's quite tricky but I know it now. Could you maybe elaborate on what exactly you need help with and/or maybe a pic or two? Please, thanks :)

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 12:03:17 am »
The end of the loom (yolk end) slots into a groove and the prons for the cleaner head also sit there, they correspond to the head, that must say seated, a slight movement makes it come off unfortunately.

There is a clear cog thing on the left inner part of the yolk, make sure it's tilted upwards as the yolk is being fitted on and it should fit in on both ends securely, then screw the screws in, 3 on the filter side and 2 on the left side when the semi circlular white part is on the top of the side end of the yolk. Then put the washers on and the ball side hemisphere goes on, then on the filter side the filter holder goes on with about 4 screws IIRC, filter in and filter cover on, job done! :)

Offline SkyMonkey

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 11:39:07 am »
Hoo-bl**dy-ray!  :))

Thanks Parwaz7862!  :tiphat:

After much flaffing about I worked out how to route the yoke cable - the replacement part had the small mid-way saddle moulded on to the cable itself instead of being 2 separate split pieces as per the original. I guess this is the improvement made to prevent the cable getting mysteriously chopped in normal use.

So all back together now and working well... er... with one exception. I have one T15 x 10mm silver-coloured screw left over. AND the cleaner won't stand up on its own anymore once parked. It's like a skeleton-less person! Any ideas?  :reading:

Thanks again,  :tiphat:

SM.

Offline SkyMonkey

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 12:48:30 pm »
Now fixed non-standy up problem  :thumbsup:

The clear gear wheel was one tooth out of mesh. So I loosened off its centre screw as well as removing the white semi-circular saddle. This allowed some flexing of the yoke so I could manipulate the gear round one tooth. Job done - it now stands up with a straight back!

But I've still got the one T15 screw left over - whassit for?

Thanks again!  :tiphat:

SM

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 01:05:45 pm »
If it works,  id put the one remaining screw somewhere safe* until you work out/remember where it goes.

*loose it forever...
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 02:47:17 pm »
You're welcome! Glad to help

Dyson Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram