The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: A very different Hoover Junior 1334 - Long term project  (Read 7733 times)

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
A very different Hoover Junior 1334 - Long term project
« on: November 05, 2015, 11:41:21 pm »
Back in September 2013, I bought a 99p Hoover Junior 1334. I won't lie, alcohol was involved, and I;ve not done alot to it in my ownership.

This is how it came out of the box

I cleaned and refitted the bag seal to aid performance

and fitted a new cable tie

Taking the bottom cover off, it was evident it had been sat for a very long time

Then the problems that led to its long layup started

Screws started to round off

At the time, I used to split and re-grease brushroll bearings, and looking at the old pictures (22/09/2013 now), I did this to it

I fitted a new belt

and shot some videos, back at the flat this was!

Not a valid youtube URL

and that was that, as the rounded off screws prevented any more refurbishment taking place.

Until tonight, 3 years later, when I had another look at it...

The paintwork is shagged, I've been picking at it in the past

One of the the knackered bolts

I got creative, and using some big snips, managed to get enough purchase on the head to turn it, and 3 minutes later

it was off!

The wet patch is plusgas, which helped

The handle release pedal needs to be undone to withdraw the handle bail

I then removed the mains cable as it was getting in the way

Need a new one of these

The switch unscrews from the body

and the motor can be removed

The front wheels unscrew from the chassis

It's missing a screw from the firewall

but removing the other 2 is thankfully easy

This screw had also rounded back in the day

More side cutter action had it removed

The brushroll retaining spring is removed

The rear wheels split apart

as do the front

Brushroll split

The bit of metalwork on the belt guard unscrews

The handle bail was always broken, but it turns out that the retaining bolt was loose, so happy days there

which made this part not move up or down

The person who painted this back in the day (I reckon for the jubilee in the 70's) was a bit sloppy in his or her work)

quick reference shot for the handle bail spring

all split apart

handle release pedal pad removed from the metal bracket

Onto the motor now, and the fan is removed from the motor

The switch de-wired

One side of the rf supressor de-wired

This is the last known crappy bolt, which sits at the back of the motor, I cant quite remember what it holds, guess we will find out soon

I left the motor alone for now, and took the rubber locating bit off the lower handle section

removed the bag holder from the upper handle section

and had an initial failed attempt at removing the handle grip. Someone has given me a red hot tip (oo-er) on how to get this off though, so will have a look at that tomorrow

I snipped the cable tie for a second time on the bag

and took the rubber seal out of the bag flange (fnarr)

and for now, that is that

A fellow collector has some scrap juniors, and has said to let him know what I need, so will see if he fancies sending me replacement screws and a new cable grommit

The vague plan is:

Get all the metal parts blasted (have spoken to someone already who says he could glass bead them, will sort that out at some point)
Get the motor overhauled and refurbished
Clean up all the rubber components
Paint it! I'm not keeping the union jack theme, I've never painted before so will stick to one colour (I need to read up on how to prep, prime and paint). I just need to choose the colour, which will have to match (or not look stupid with) the blue bag and white rubber parts. My initial thought is Purple, as Eva likes purple, so would like the cleaner, but I haven't really decided yet. Someone has mentioned white, but I'm not keen, may as well do something funky.

Unless anyone knows how to paint/re-colour rubber? Would happily paint the rubber bits, but in a way that means it wouldn't flake off within a month.

Anyone got any thoughts on what colour it could be?

This also means that the 1346 I picked up earlier in the week will stay as is, and be refurbished, although the stickers have gone, as they would have been ruined with washing anyway, being of paper type, and not shiney. I'll leave that for it's own thread though!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: A very different Hoover Junior 1334 - Long term project
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 07:43:17 pm »
I have a plan now, not going to divulge what the plan is for now though (incase it doesnt come off, plus it will be ages before I get too much done anyway)

Today, I popped into town for chips, and ended up having to park in Sainsburys car park as town was rammed (I hate hunting for parking spaces so gave up quickly and drove out a bit and walked back in). I've been reading up/watching videos on rust removal, and one of the products mentioned alot was white vinegar or cider vinegar, so I splashed out £1.15 on a bottle

I wasnt holding out too much hope, but here is a before on one piece just incase it did something

The videos I watched showed lots of fizzing, there was none of that

I put the lid on, set it aside and pulled the motor over for its stripdown

Disconnected the other side of the rf supressor

The neutral on the supressor also holds the top carbon brush in place

Lots of meat left on that!

One of the coil wires comes up, out and connects to the main wiring block

the 3 motor housing bolts are removed

and the casing can be split

yummy

a quick brush out stops shit falling everywhere

The other side of the coil connects to the bottom carbon holder

2 clamps release the carbon brush holders

the front bearing is held down with a bracket

there's a filthy seal sat in there too

The rear bearing and earthing cable are held in with 2 more bolts

These 2 screws hold the rf supressor bracket and coil to the housing

out it lifts

The bearings aren't too bad, but I have new ones to go in that I bought for it years ago

The coil cleaned up a treat with a good brush down.

Done!

These (plus the top part of the handle) will be sent off for blasting

Whilst clearing up afterwards, Amy bought me a can of drink, and I popped a few little bits in just to see if anything happened

it didnt

A little bit of fizzing, but nothing after 6 hours

The cider vinegar though, wow! A quick rub down with some wire wool and the rust melts off, and the parts seem to clean up very well. I'll still buy some deox-c, because it will probably work even better still, but I'll clean all the parts off tomorrow and see what's what

The handle grip came off the handle with the hot water trick, thanks RichieG! The gloss paint peeled off the rubber parts nicely too, and a drop of cif had them looking like new (I have offered them to the collector forum incase someone wants a nice grey set, before I key and re-paint them in the future!

More tomorrow when I clean off the parts soaking in vinegar!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Tech12

• Electrical Appliance Engineer / Trainer.
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 07:56:47 pm »
Diet coke doesn't do anything, normal coke works well but only lifts dirt not rust. The other thing is: It normally takes about 24 hours to do much good. If you heat the White vinegar & add a bit of lemon juice, it should work a bit better.
Repairs to All makes of Small Commercial & Domestic appliance. Power tool repair.
City & Guilds and PAT qualified engineer.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 08:00:07 pm »
Aaaah, we havent got any normal coke, amy doesnt drink it.

The parts will be in the solution for about 24h when I take them out tomorrow, and it'll need changing anyway, so will wire wool them all down and see what the state is. I could heat it tbh, got a little camping stove in the shed, would need to wait for amy to go out to use a pan though.

Havent got alot of vinegar left though, may just clean it up tomorrow and box it back up and buy the deox-c, see how much more that removes! Not looking for mintola factory fresh, but am interested to see how well it can come up

Offline Tech12

• Electrical Appliance Engineer / Trainer.
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 12:42:56 am »
One of the things I've got in my clean up kit is a 3 piece brush set that's sold by CPC & others.
It has a steel wire brush, a brass wire brush & a really stiff synthetic bristle brush, absolutely brilliant for parts cleaning.
Repairs to All makes of Small Commercial & Domestic appliance. Power tool repair.
City & Guilds and PAT qualified engineer.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 01:09:04 am »
I bought 2 sets of 3 little steel, brass and nylon brushes (2 of each). Their so mullered from working on the car though (bloody ace at cleaning up caliper sliders after an initial dremeling) that their a bit crap. I did find one of the brass ones and had a go but it shed bristles like anything, and I got filthy hands cos it was filthy from last use... Got a dremel thing too but the wire wheels are rubbish as when you get it to a useable speed the wires fly out...

I'm going to paint the little peices (the platings knackered on them anyway where the rust came through), so after primer and paint should look ok, so they just need to be smooth. Still rust on the bits I couldnt wire wool up though.

I did put a few more bits in a fresh batch though, it wont remove all the rust but it cleans them up bloody well, hopefully the deox c will work better

After 25ish hours, with a cleanup halfway through and a shake every time I went for a rolly

Yes I cleaned the plug pins up on the 80's non original plug...

Will paint these, the rust is gone and their very clean but the finish is ruined

Came up very well considering, with primer and paint it will look fine, it's smooth now

This was possibly the worse part. Could be painted now, but I'll deox c it

The big spring at the front came up VERY well, leaving that as it is! May even be super ocd/stupid and get the silvo on it...

I then grabbed the hood out of the shed to remove the 2 remaining things before packing it up to post off for blasting hopefully, the brushroll springs. I grabbed my trusty big snips, and tried to pull them out. Nothing, they snapped and swore at me...

Then I had a look and noticed a pin holding each one in

The second one survived cos I knew what I was doing. Still went in the bin

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration