The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Roomba Scheduler 4230  (Read 22293 times)

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: Roomba Scheduler 4230
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2015, 09:40:17 pm »
I was thinking that too,  I found a sticker under the battery saying 'remanufactured by irobot.

Shopping list so far is:

Battery
Side sweepy brush
The cage that sits over the brushrolls and clips it all down
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2015, 09:40:54 pm »
Wonder if maplin ever sold them in the uk? Would make sense that they would buy em cheap,  bundle a converter in and flog them,  or the owner just went to maplins...
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2015, 11:28:52 pm »
Well

At about 10pm, I checked the battery, and it showed 16v (which is strange from a 14v battery, but never mind), so I stuck it in the Roomba. Pushed the power button and it turned on, with green LED's all round! Pushed the clean button, and it ran! I turned it off, got my phone out and filmed it!

it seemed to work really well at first, but then started stalling and shutting off. Since I shot that video, I kept trying, and it would run for a while, then stutter and stop. Picking it up and firmly putting it down again seemed to make it work for a while. Then it would do it again. I even made it dock, although it took bloody ages for it to find it, it kept turning around and going the wrong way, should it do this?

Either way, it runs, and works!

I had a little look around it now I know it lives, it's filthy! I gave it some light maintenance

Picked all the hairs out of the brushroll and 'beater' bar

and wiped this part down with a baby wipe (with the battery out)

It then cleaned all it's own mess up superbly, then stalled again  :cry:

It's on charge now, with the battery inside the machine, charger plugged straight in. Will have another look in the morning

The base plate for the brushroll is broken too (could this be tripping a sensor out somewhere?)

I got about 15 minutes out of the battery too, with no grumblings about needing a charge. That will do for testing purposes!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2015, 11:37:26 pm »
Ha, I plugged the dock in, and when it eventually found the bloody thing left it to charge. Pushed 'Clean' on the remote, and it turned on, made a beeping noise and reversed off the dock (turned around, hit the change table, shit itself and died). It's so funky! Proper little 'beep, beep, beep' like a lorry as it went backwards!

Must stop playing with it, there's obviously an issue somewhere!

Offline dysondc16

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2015, 12:02:52 am »
Saw your vid right after you put it on you tube, seems to me like either a dirty cliff sensor (makes it think it's going to fall down the stairs), or an issue with the bumper itself.
They can sometimes have trouble getting to the dock, would have to see a video to tell you if something is wrong though. I noticed a noise in the video which is probably due to the broken base plate. A good clean of the little light sensors on the outside edge of the bumper might help, there should be 3 of them facing down on the outer edge of the bumper.
At least it lives!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2015, 12:05:47 am »
Cool, I'll start with the bumper then! Do the sensors come out for some cleaning with something chemically?

I'll try and get you a video of it trying to dock. I have to have the dock against the wall on the laminate, otherwise it goes for it, pushes the dock back then gets confused and beeps at me!

Offline dysondc16

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2015, 12:16:43 am »
I have never removed the sensors themselves (luckily haven't needed to), but the bumper is fairly easy to take off, just 4 screws and a wire cluster connector (don't know the technical name for it), and the bumper lifts off the machine. All the screws are on the underside of the bumper on it's attaching points, you can see where the bumper connects on two little pivot points, one screw on those points themselves and another right next to them. Sorry about that description! Not too good at explaining these things without having the cleaner right in front of me to point at!
Anyway, you might be able to better access the sensors after removing the bumper.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2015, 06:14:19 am »
Well, both our children are sick in some way. Eva (eldest) has a high temperature and was being sick last night, she slept upstairs with mummy. The boy (4 weeks) has a cough, and generally won't settle. I slept downstairs with him so he didn't wake Eva up.

2.30am, he wanted feeding, then would not go back to sleep.

I eventually get him gone at 3.15am, and don't feel tired anymore. So, I have a coffee and a rolly, and with the boy finally asleep, I decide to have a harder look at Roomba. DysonDC16, this is your fault, with your reasoning and good ideas of where to start... ;D

Front bumper off

I pulled one of the sensor modules out of the inner bumper housing. They were all quite clean, but it wouldn't hurt to look

I teased the wires out of their clips either side and opened the housing up to reveal the 2 IR modules

Although they weren't too bad, I gave each one a wipe with a baby wipe, then a dry with a tissue, then re-assembled and moved on

I did all 4

Then decided to take the main housing off

and look at the wheels, as the tone but no beep (according to the manual) is a dodgy wheel, backed up by threads I've read on this forum

DC Jack/I/O port lifted out the way

Cable tie snipped, but to get the wires out the bracket holding the tension spring has to be removed it seems

Bye

This enabled me to take reference shots of the wire locations. First up, this yellow and black chap

Then these two from the motor which go into the same plug

The wheel retaining brackets come out

I don't own a hot glue gun, so left this micro switch in place, but cleaned all the (I think cat) hair from around it

Lets have a look in here then

Some fluff under this side

3 more screws and the wheel comes off

4 more screws and some planetary gears, which remind me of the Panasonic Icon's brushroll drive setup

I wasn't going to dig around in the shed at (what now was) 4.30am for my grease, so will have these apart again, clean all the old crap off and re-pack them with grease

I picked all the hair and fluff out of these

and popped it all back together, routed the wires and replaced the cable tie. I did have the other side cover off, and picked out a small bit of fluff from the drive belt side. Was pretty clean though

On the other side, the bracket holding the tension spring is slightly different

The little speaker lifted out

The small plug is the speaker, large one is the wheel motor

Drive belt side de-fluffed

Even smaller bit of fluff on the other side of the wheel

De-haired, re-assembled and re-fitted!

I popped the top cover on, and the bumper, fitted the battery, packed my tools away and turned it on...and it works! No stuttering, no stalling, no getting confused and just shutting off, it cleaned all it's mess up! I then got the dock out, to see if it docked any better than before and it died... Played it's sad little tone and sat there, with the charge light flashing. A quick check of the battery with the multi meter showed it 'died' at 13.something volts, which is a nice sign, so it's now sat plugged into the charger for the day whilst I go to work, then I shall see if it works later on, and if it's charged!

Time for more coffee and to get ready for work

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2015, 08:01:53 am »
Oh yea, it turns out that the casing screws are not magnetic, which caused some confusion I have to admit.

That explains the last picture of white tack to the rescue!

I turned it on quickly before I left for work after half an hour on charge, it turned on, and did it's thing perfectly. Hopefully it's fixed! Will let it do a full run around when I get home, see what it does. Maybe throw some dirt round too...

Offline Tech12

• Electrical Appliance Engineer / Trainer.
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2015, 08:29:18 am »
Hi Sam: Nothing strange about the battery showing a slightly higher voltage if you just took it off charge, it's best to leave them 5 minutes or so from taking off charge to testing. Especially when using a DMM for testing, it presents   
virtually no load to the battery.
Repairs to All makes of Small Commercial & Domestic appliance. Power tool repair.
City & Guilds and PAT qualified engineer.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2015, 08:36:11 am »
Ah that's good then! Hopefully the roomba can charge it up now, It is pushing voltage in so hopefully the MOFSET common issue is fine. I'll still treat it to a new battery next year (£18 on ebay) as apparently they only last 100 or so cycles according to the service manual. Will use it a bit though to check it's worth spending money on the little thing

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog

Offline __russ__

• Dyson Repairs Essex
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2015, 10:14:14 am »
This has revived interest in mine which I'd given up on!

I've got a 530 and put new battery, brushes and side brush from Q. It works ok but randomly stops and plays a tune with flashing (red I think) light.

Put it back in the box meaning to have another look and forgot about it!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2015, 10:31:05 am »
I reckon my issue was in the drive wheels. I've seen pictures of them absolutley packed with fluff, and mine weren't that bad, but there was hair everywhere, which I think caused an intermittant signal to the various IR bits in there. Ditto the 2 microswitches that sense the position of the wheels, they were buried in fluff and hair, it may have been just that, but you know me, I like to pry a bit further.

Yet to actually prove this for more than 5 seconds but I'm hopeful. The cliff sensors were spotless, only took them apart because why not etc.

Offline dysondc16

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2015, 02:47:02 pm »
Blame me if you must! At least it works now..... :))
Sounds like it just needed a general clean. One thing I would highly recommend when you get the chance (and if you haven't done it already) is remove the cleaner head and get into it's gearbox, they get very dirty and hair can jam the whole thing up.

Hope Eva and Charlie get to feeling better! Especially Eva with that fever.

Dyson Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram