The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Miele SAB-100 Accu Nova Power Head  (Read 8081 times)

Online Madrat

Re: Miele SAB-100 Accu Nova Power Head
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2015, 10:46:32 PM »
I assumed he was going to swap the charger anyway.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2015, 10:43:51 AM »
I did look into the whole NiMh/NiCAD/Li-on thing and yes, they don't kile being used in other applications. I think Nicad and NiMh are not too fussy, bit not Li-On. New 3000MAH nImH Batteries are 15 delivered (for Makita D9000 anyway), so will indulge next year. Will can the battery rebuild idea for now I think. The one I got open is now sealed back up with some black tape, still fits inside the machine too which is good.

RE the charger, I'm watching this and hoping it stays low - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381474033823?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT This will make me feel a bit happier about charging the batteries, as the current charger just pumps voltage in until I unplug it or the battery explodes, I don't leave it longer than 4-5 hours atm. The Makita one will shut off when charged, and display any faults (and not fall off the shelf as it has some weight to it)

Tech - I can borrow my stepdads 6/12 slow/fast car battery charger if needed, but it seems ok atm.

It's a pain to photograph as it only turns on when moving, but I used it for 10 minutes last night and it works really well.

I charged the battery for 5 hours, used it for about 15 minutes (it's surprisingly boring vacuuming the same rug for 15 minutes...) and the battery still showed good voltage

Got a video of it uploading now, won't be long!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Tech12

• Electrical Appliance Engineer / Trainer.
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2015, 11:23:52 AM »
Hi Sam: What seems OK at the moment ?. What I was going to suggest was taking the worst battery & flashing it. Then do a few charge / discharge cycles, it does work with a lot of power tools etc batteries that will only accept minimal charge.
Don't try it with Li-ion though, they don't like it.
Repairs to All makes of Small Commercial & Domestic appliance. Power tool repair.
City & Guilds and PAT qualified engineer.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2015, 11:54:49 AM »
I have read that, although conflicting info on wether it was nicad (the cadium crystals that grow and short out or something) or nimh. I read you can use a welder too, probably a good job I dont have a welder...

For now since they seem to be working I'll run the old batteries through a few charge/discharges and see how it goes. If they don't hit the 30 minute runtime they should have I may well have a go at flashing them, although (again internet forums) said it's better to flash the individual cells rather than a whole pack...

Either way, the video uploaded!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FRgkdyk8B4" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FRgkdyk8B4</a>

It's not as fast as the electro head (although that takes 240v so that's probably why) but it's very good, and turns itself off on the laminate which is handy. Doesn't seem to turn itself on on the backward stroke (fnarr fnarr) but it may be how it works. When I tear it down I'll see if it's a dirty sensor or similar. Will use it until it dies, re-charge it and use it again until it dies, then maybe time the running time if I find a spare 30 minutes!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Tech12

• Electrical Appliance Engineer / Trainer.
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2015, 07:24:10 PM »
Nicad work better being flashed, they seem to suffer from the same problems as some of the old germanium transistors.
I wouldn't try flashing individual cells, there's really no need to take the risk. If it's going to work then flashing the full pack will do it, as for using a welder think we'll leave that discussion there before we start.
Repairs to All makes of Small Commercial & Domestic appliance. Power tool repair.
City & Guilds and PAT qualified engineer.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2015, 12:55:23 AM »
But it looks so pretty on the youtube videos (and fecking dangerous too...)

Out of the 3 batteries,  only 1 seems to be much good,  the other 2 dont take a good charge.  Ive run the good battery down fully until the accu nova ran no more.  The same battery fired up my bosch powerhead just fine still... I think the accu nova ran for 15odd minutes,  but I didnt time it.

Its on charge again now,  will maybe have a timed run tomorrow

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2015, 09:51:22 PM »
Well.

The 'adapted' charger lasted for 3 charges, then died. No voltage comes through it now. Can't work out if the batteries have scrapped it, or it just couldnt handle directly charging a battery.

So, I bought a 'Makita' battery which looks the same

http://www.tmart.com/7.2V-2000mAh-Rechargeable-NI-MH-Battery-for-Makita-191681-2-632007-4-9000-9001-9002_p335371.html?cc=GBP&fixed_price=hk_intl&gclid=Cj0KEQiA1dWyBRDqiJye6LjkhfIBEiQAw06ITt8Kvq6qRAnSVsfdB3NKMiuqpsRSRQwQwRn1dqQCcAEaAphH8P8HAQ

Which has not come yet. However, I did buy a Makita battery charger, reasoning that having overload protection and other stuff may make the charger last a bit longer. That arrived today

However, the batteries do not fit it. I went at one with the dremel to adapt it to fit. I needed to make some grooves like so

to fit the keyed parts in the charger here

(crap pic, their either side)

The battery fitted then

I then plugged it in and got a flashing red light. I left it for 2 hours, plugged the battery in and...nothing.

I found the charger manual online, and a flashing red light means 'battery temperature too high'...

Looking at it more closely, the Live and Neutral pins are the same, however the battery overload contact on the battery is the opposite side to the charger, and the charger has 2 more contacts that the battery doesnt. Looking at the linked above battery more closely too, it has the extra pins.  :censored:

Looking at the battery some more, the 'keyed' segment of it runs the whole length, whereas the original battery only has a short keyed part, which matches the length of the keyed segment on the Bosch power head. Looking at the accunova, the cutout seems to extend the whole length, with a clip halfway down. That clip might retract, i cant push it with my finger, or I could remove it. I need to wait for the new battery to arrive, and see if it works and fits really.

Failing that, if it doesn't fit, I'll clean the charger up and sell it + the battery and cover my spend and look elsewhere!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2016, 04:41:49 PM »
The new battery arrived on the 22nd, after 2 months!

and I deliberately did not get excited about it until I got home

Where it fitted, and ran perfectly! The battery is a little bit loose, and does fall out with excessive swinging about of the head, but I would rather that than it be too tight or not fit at all...

It fits the charger as well!

3000mAH too

or is it 2000?

Lol

The Makita charger shows when it is fully charged now too...

Over the last week, I have been using it whenever is needed, and clocked up about 25 minutes before the low battery light came on

This happened today, and I carried on for another 6 minutes until becoming really bored of vacuuming the same piece of rug over and over again, so will see how long it takes for it to stop completely another time

I put the vacuum cleaner away, and de-wired the ElectroPlus head

The AccuNova stores much neatly than the electroplus did

I then quickly tried out the ElectroPlus on the S7 I am raffling (2 people left to pay, could be a draw tonight!), and it worked

Online dysondc16

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2016, 11:37:36 PM »
Just out of curiosity, are you keeping the standard corded power head? How do they compare?

Good to know what battery fits in case I ever find one!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2016, 11:39:38 PM »
Yes,  keeping the electro plus,  will never find one this cheap again!

I can get a comparison video together if you want.  The electro head is better slightly as it spins faster but the accu nova is pretty damn good and far more convenient!

Online dysondc16

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2016, 11:43:54 PM »
If it's not too much trouble, it would be cool to see.

Interesting that the accu nova is so good. I really wish miele would develop this idea more, using better battery tech it would be excellent. I guess they are too content to sell turbo brushes!

Online dysondc16

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2016, 03:54:14 AM »
Actually I can make my own comparison video now! Thanks to your experience I got had the confidence to seek one of these out. I found it cheap on the bay without batteries. I will order the same battery and charger you got as soon as I can.
It's a little beat up, but seems fine.
Thanks for figuring all of this out for me!  ;D
[ Specified attachment is not available ]

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2016, 08:10:49 AM »
ooooh nice! It fixed mine! I've not timed how long mine lasts for properly,  but with general here and there use on our 2 rugs and occasionally upstairs I get over a week,  possibly 40 minutes?

Hopefully your charger is ok,  but then I had non genuine chargers with mine which may not have helped the battery

Online dysondc16

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2016, 05:52:56 PM »
Mine didn't come with a charger either, the makita one looks better anyway! Glad yours is getting such good run time, I have spotted the same battery that you got (I think) on ebay and plan on getting one soon.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2016, 07:28:17 PM »
I highly recommend the makita charger,  mainly because it turns the power iff when charges! The original miele one,  from what O have worked out doesnt,  which fries the battery in short order!

Plus the original batteries are 1300mah, the ebay ones are 2000/3000maj (depending which label you read...)

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Sebo Vacuum Cleaners

Dyson Spares, Parts, AdviceFollow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacson Google+

Manchester Vacs on Instagram