The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: DCO7 clutched vac screeching !  (Read 6467 times)

Offline tigertess

DCO7 clutched vac screeching !
« on: December 19, 2015, 05:21:05 pm »
My very old faithful Dyson DC07 has suddenly started screeching when in carpet mode . Operates fine when doing hard floors or using the wand . It makes the noise about 90% of the time when doing carpets and doesn't pick up very well .
Sounds as if a screw is stuck somewhere but have had it to bits and can't find anything . Have WD40 the brush bar which seemed to help for a short while but now back to ear piercing screech ! Anyone any ideas as to the problem ? Have just moved to France so don't have shops etc to help . Any suggestions gratefully received !

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: DCO7 clutched vac screeching !
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 05:53:17 pm »
That will be your clutch.

Is your brush roll free of hair and obstructions? If you remove the baseplate with a coin you can get good access to see. I presume the noise stops when you turn the clutch off/stand the machine upright? A loud,  ratcheting type noise yes?
 Mvacs can sell you the clutch and belt lifter tool,  and if you follow one of my refurb threads it should show the fitment.

It may be possible to rebuild your current one,  but swapping it out is easier.
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline tigertess

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 06:17:35 pm »
Yes the brush is all clear . That's a good description of the noise ! Thank you for your input . I wouldn't mind but have just bought my daughter one of the new roller ball Dysons for her birthday !

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 06:58:06 pm »
The new rollerball ones will burn out a pcb on the head though.  Much easier to change a cheap clutch! Any local repairers in your area from the repairer section of the forum? Otherwise you will need a long t25 driver,  clutch and belt lifter tool,  and about 20 minutes! They do wear out sadly,  the little white wheel normally wears on one side,  which throws the belt off.

Brush roll rotate OK by hand?
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline tigertess

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 07:33:32 pm »
Yes the brush bar rotates ok . Looks as if I am going to have a go at repairing my vac ! A first for me ! will get a clutch ordered and have a go . Thank you .

Offline Madrat

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 09:19:32 pm »
Some good how to videos available on tinternet  :thumbsup:

Offline Tech12

• Electrical Appliance Engineer / Trainer.
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 12:12:17 am »
You'll need a T15 torx driver not T25 & this is available from Manchester vacs.
As Madrat said there are plenty of excellent videos & instruction available on the internet, Manchester vacs can also sell you a copy of Angus Blacks excellent book. This will give clear instruction on all you need to know & is well worth the cost.
Repairs to All makes of Small Commercial & Domestic appliance. Power tool repair.
City & Guilds and PAT qualified engineer.

Offline Sids Spares

• Vacuumologist
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 10:49:46 am »
The book really is a worthwhile purchase which will give you all the information you need to keep your 07 in good working order for years to come.
While you are waiting for your parts to arrive have a look on youtube for the videos and save them to your list so you can easily refer back to them if you need to. Using the book, the videos and the members knowledge on here, you won't go wrong.

Offline tigertess

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 01:45:49 pm »
Thank you all for your help . I do a fair bit of diy and your comments and the videos give me hope . Any problems , I know I can come back for help . Its the best vac I've had in over 50 years and didn't want to bin it so thank you once again . :-)

DC07 Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram